Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PAINTING OVER A REMBRANDT, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by els, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOL That is tfeverfreds answer to everyone that asks about what colour to paint a car.;):D

czuch, Ron Funkhouser and els like this.
  2. els

els

3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Els I am not sure that I agree with tossing the hood. Here is an L88 hood (with a dog house added for good measure-he ran a BBC with a tunnel ram) on my 61 built by Larry Teter in the late 60s. I spent way too much time in a paint booth for 20 years or so and around active paint fumes that I am a bit sensitive to them but still look forward to painting candies and pearls. 100_2415.jpg My avatar is an old MP drag car from New Mexico and when I stripped the hardtop it had bunches of colors but I went with candy apple red. Candies during the era really got my attention. My current project (when I find time- as I have two projects going) is a 62 Vette drag car that is going to go candy and pearl.

I have always thought I would love to do a panel paint job on an old Vette with different candies and pearls and a few other ideas. They lend themselves so well to custom paint.

Ron Funkhouser and els like this.
  4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you paint the car, it will look like a fresh build. If you duplicate the way it is now, everybody will think it is a clone. If you leave it the way it is now, it looks authentic. That is why you bought it in the first place. An older drag car. If you found an old Yenko that still looks half way decent, Leave it alone. It`s only original once. If you restore it, it will look like all the others. And most might think it`s a clone. Money is not the issue. If you have lots, build another car and do what you wish to it. I love seeing old original cars that have patina. No matter what era. Take it to the drags and have fun with it. If you spend tons of money on it making it shinny, will it limit you on hard you romp on the throttle when the green light is on.

badvolvo, clunker and els like this.
  5. els

els

jimdillon, good to here from you again. we have met on other threads. I agree with you on the hood. I still have the original tunnel ram on the 291 cid engine and it fits rear nice under the L88 hood. I am still hearing from a lot of guys on this paint dilemma. But I am going to see how it goes. good hearing from you again. I will keep in touch.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeez...sorry, but I like Centerlines, after Torque Thrusts my next favorite wheels.

els and hotroddon like this.
  7. Larry T

Larry T

Funny you should mention Centerlines, I've had a couple of folks ask if I still had any Supertricks around lately.

What's old is new again!

els likes this.
  8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 70's are the next big thing, mark my word, vannin' will make a come back.

9. It already has! There is a huge 70's van movement happening!

els likes this.
  10. 58 pro ford

58 pro ford

I meant with the race heritage the original lettering and patina, I know its not original from new.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  11. Larry T

Larry T

I don't think it's original from the time it was raced.

Sometimes I wish I had just left my Avatar the way it was in the picture. But there isn't a track around that would have let me race. If it's a race car, fix it so it can be raced. If you want to change the paint, change the paint.

Continue the evolving history, however you want. Unless you're happy with it the way it is.

els likes this.
  12. els

els

I found a lot you guys are concerned with the wheels that are on the car. I do know where the old centerline wheels are that where on the car. I am trying to get them. I will put them on as soon as they get here. I also am getting pics of the engine.

13. I hear you on the brand thing, but fail to see why we are discussing these ugly off topic wheels, whatever their brand is.
    This car dosent fit this forum at all.

fiveoh108 likes this.
  14. Muttley

Muttley

Paint it just like this Econoline and don't forget to steal the name and have it lettered on the quarters................

[​IMG]

15. Muttley

Muttley

Why?!? Are you purposely trying to look like an audience member from a Poison video? Are you also planning to troll ebay until you locate that perfect pair of acid-washed jeans? Leave the '80's where they belong, in a dusty old history book.

fiveoh108 and kiwijeff like this.
  16. My post was obviously misread by the OP. Apart from the no big deal that the car is, my point was that an 80's racer in not appropriate on the HAMB. I don't know why it's even being discussed.

17. els

els

X38, I am confused about your post on 80s race car being on the HAMB. Enlighten me on your comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.