Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers Ian, I won't be at Pendine because I am oversubscribed with work, I have a few unavoidable personal commitments that have to be seen to but I am working on this every chance I get. I aim to get it to Pendine next year though. Once I have the pedals finished and have mounted the rear shocks I can strip it down to do the final welding. I ordered my radiator the other day should be with me in a week or two.

The body that I am using for the mock up is going to be built into a modified once I have finished this.

David

2. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I cut the subrails off the back of my mock up body so I could sit it on the chassis. this is how it looks at the moment. I have decided to make a couple of changes to get it down one inch from where it is now.

[​IMG]

David

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looking great David.

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys. I should finish the chassis soon then its back to making the body.

David

5. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Looking great David, if you don't mind my asking what is the wheel base on your chassis?
    Thanks
    Joe

6. cmarcus

cmarcus

So glad I stumbled on this. Following!

7. MP&C

MP&C

David, good to see you progressing on the T once again!

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Joe, I kept to the original '32 wheelbase of 106". I always thought this gives a nice look.

David

9. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks Robert, good to know you looked in on my thread.

Thanks for looking in.

David

10. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Wish I had half the talent as you keep at it

11. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

David, sorry to keep bugging you, BUT i can only get 101.75 inches on the wheel base with the cowl lined up with the reveal line on the frame and keep the rear wheel in the center of the wheel well ?? Did you move the front cross member forward? I too want the long low lean look :)
    Thanks again
    Joe

brEad likes this.
  12. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the compliment and the encouragement. I am trying to find a bit of time to do some more but I am really busy with other stuff.

Hi Joe sorry about the late reply, I have not been on here for a while. I just lined the rear end up. The firewall ends up where it ends up. I did not worry about the alignment with the swage in the chassis. I put the engine where it cleared the firewall and it gave me plenty of room at the front.

David

13. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

My upholsterer has a quiet spot coming up so I am going to make the seat frames, door cards and stuff next so he can get on with that.

dos zetas, Gojeep and cactus1 like this.
  14. oj

oj

Great looking work David, I'm envious. Talent and vision, thats a powerful combination. I'll admit to skipping this thread for periods and then I'm able to get immersed in it for 4-5pages at a time, makes for deep thought. For instance, I am still thinking about how you stretched and shrank the rear kickup in the frame - that was quite a while ago. That little piece, alone, would make for a very interesting tech article.

15. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the nice words oj. Very busy at the moment. I mentioned that I had ordered a radiator from China on ebay. I arrived a few weeks ago (just have not got round to posting.) I can't fault it... well made and inexpensive. I couldn't even make it myself for the money.

[​IMG]

I have made a start on my seat base - some photos soon.

This is my facebook page for my main business of making panels and new bodies.
    https://www.facebook.com/DavidClassicMetalShaping/?ref=settings
    And my website www.classicmetalshaping.co.uk

David

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    pcbart and cactus1 like this.
  16. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

David
    Any up dates.?
    TKS
    Joe

17. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I have the same radiator, I had to try and save money where I could. I couldn't buy an original radiator and then pay for a shop to cut it, would've been stupid money. I have the same radiator, fits great. I also couldn't afford to buy a Walker just to have it cut down to the size I needed. Oh well. I love your car, here's my 27 on 32

1483567648049.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

No I didn't die!. I haven't been on here in a while because I have not had a lot to update and I have been very busy. Thats not to say I have not done any work on the T, I have and I will do an update soon.

Thanks for your comments Joe and Al. Al your T is looking good. It looks a lot like mine. I am about to start on the body again.

Meanwhile I have been making a few videos. They all contain some metalwork.

This one as about a tool I made to make my life easier because I do a lot of wire edging in my line of work and this is fast and a lot less work for forming flanges...

Then a couple of months ago I woke up one morning and thought it might be fun to do a Vlog style video. I filmed it that day with my phone and point and shoot and this is what I came up with...

Then I made a second one...

The latest features footage filmed by my youngest daughter who is now at university studying digital film production.

I don't know where I am going with this - if anywhere but I enjoy making films even if I am not at my most comfortable in front of the camera so if you like them let me know. The next one will be about my T.

19. hasty

hasty

Helpful and enjoyable, but not as coherent as the steps shown in your DVD. Looking forward to the one about your T. Very jealous of your workshop (and skills of course!).

20. oj

oj

Very nicely done, those are 'keepers', I like'em.

21. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks oj good to know you are still reading.

Cheers Hasty, skills come with practice and the workshop is rented. Film making is a bit of a hobby so any excuse to make one.

22. oj

oj

23. Love the vids David. The new shop looks amazing!

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Keep pounding tin and we'll keep watching.:)

greaser likes this.
  25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks Mike, I forgot I hadn't really show any pics of it.

Cheers Joe, good to know you both still look in.

cactus1 likes this.
  26. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

And I`m still here as well, David. After years of searching for something I can afford, I finally have a Pullmax. It`s a prewar `B2` machine, but I am looking forward to using it. Really liked your light setup for the brake. I am going to do something similar.....Cheers!

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I thought it was about time I updated this thread. I have made some progress but life has had its ups and downs of late so finding time to post on here has not been possible. I will try to rectify that by updating this thread a bit over the next few days. After I had mocked the car up last time I decided that I would like it to sit a bit lower so I modified the rear crossmember to allow it to sit an inch lower and I made a new front crossmember from two pieces of 1/4 inch steel.This lowered the car by an inch and a half at the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I then welded the steering box mount and did the final welding on all the crossmembers. I made boxing plates for the rear of the chassis and welded these in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David

Dean Lowe, slv63, Gojeep and 5 others like this.