Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on a Buick 401 Nailhead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joe's Junk Garage, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Joe's Junk Garage

Joe's Junk Garage

Hello,

First off, thank you to everyone for the fantastic knowledge I've gleaned here, we are all very fortunate for this great resource of information! I'm in the process of my first Model A build. I'm looking to purchase my first Buick Nailhead 401 engine. I've found one locally here in Indiana where I live.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows the measurements of the bottom of the block, oil pan width, length & depth. I'm making an engine cradle out of wood, as low, or close to the floor as possible. I don't want any risks of it falling over onto someone! Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you, Joe

2. swifty

swifty

Why not get it into your shed where you can measure it and make your cradle to suit. I've had mine just sitting on the floor with a block of wood in the stepped part of the sump to steady it. Can measure mine later today if that's what you want.

firstinsteele likes this.
  3. Joe's Junk Garage

Joe's Junk Garage

I don't have access to an engine hoist at this point. I will need it to be rolled under a work bench out of the way to keep the limited room I have available in my work area clear.

4. squirrel

squirrel

a couple two foot lengths of 2x8 and a small sheet of plywood (maybe 16" x 24") and a cordless drill and some deck screws...you can make one to fit, on the spot.

5. I have two nail heads on HF moving dollies with a block of wood under the front of the pan to make it level. They roll easily on my floor. The dollies are rated to 1000 lbs [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. The one on the left in this picture has the HF dolly

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. BigGeorge.That what I had my 56 buick station wagon motor on too.Easy to move around the shop.Bruce.

8. nailed31

nailed31

If the engine still has exhaust manifolds on it, build the dolly to rest in the gap between the head and manifold. This helps keep the engine stable while in the truck. In the past I've built the vertical pieces of the dolly separate from the base, brought my cordless and some deck screws and literally assemble the dolly around he engine when I got there. I had a "goal post" like setup for my Pontiac 350 that simply sat on the truck bed floor and cradled the exhaust manifold to head nook high enough to keep the pan from getting damaged. Its simple and works well.

"Just because you can put tap shoes on an elephant doesn't mean it can dance!"