Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not comfortable with this.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frdsuperduty, Jun 22, 2017.

1. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Wait ,that's not right is it.The small reservoir supply's the rear with an external residual.The internal residual is in the large reservoir supplying the front?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should not be an internal residual in the larger reservoir's port, unless it's a drum/drum master, which would also have one in the other port.
    The larger fluid reservoir on a typical U.S. disc/drum car/light truck master always goes to the front discs, which never used a residual.

3. oj

oj

The Wilson backing plate is self-energizing (I think its the right term) where the entire set of brake linings roll into the drum friction surface. The linings have 2 different sizes, the smaller primary shoe will pull away from the anchor (at top) when installed correctly, the secondary larger shoe makes contact with the anchor as the entire shoe package rotates into the drum. The WC pushes the linings out, the shoes contact the drum and they rotate into the spinning drum forcing the secondary shoe tight against the anchor as in a wedge being driven by the rotating drum.
    The shoes can be mounted in either direction, if backwards the smaller primary shoe (and it will probably have an entirely different composition too) will be the one trying to stop the car.

4. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Ok,it's plumbed correctly and has no front residual.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. rooman

rooman

Regarding residual valves. They are not intended to stop air from getting into the system as that should NEVER happen in any circumstances. They are meant to stop all of the fluid from bleeding back through the lines to the master cylinder and thus keeping a little pressure on the pads/shoes to keep them close to the disc/drum which makes the brakes react quicker to any pedal application. Drum brakes use a 10 lb valve to help overcome the return spring (shoes) pressure while discs only need a 2 lb valve to keep the pads close to the friction surface.
    Read about it here: http://www.mbmbrakeboosters.com/ind...tent&view=category&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=16

Roo

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What you read about residuals in the above link is totally wrong, and has been sadly common with several brake component suppliers. Residual valves do indeed keep air from entering past the drum brake wheel cylinders during fast release. How can a 10 lb. residual valve overcome shoe return springs of 50-100 lbs force??? Drum brake shoes return fully to their anchors by design, period, not float around as some state.
    Modern disc brakes never used or needed residuals as masters were all high/firewall mounted before discs became available. The 2 lb residual is strictly aftermarket, and intended for low/below floor master locations with discs, to prevent caliper fluid movement back to the master.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Good stuff.Ive adjusted my front brakes because I'm thinking maybe the shoes were too loose.There was very little drag.Adjust until it drags then back off.Doing a few other things while up then a road test.Im also going to try the 2 foot stomp as suggested if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

8. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Problem fixed!!!This all started over a year ago when reassembling the car after a complete re do.The front drums were bottoming again the outer edge of the lining.Got that resolved and ha

9. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

But had the drums on and off a lot.that led me to wonder if the shoes were too loose.Another words there was too much extension needed to make hard contact.Re adjusted ,road tested....very comfortable now.Thanks for all the help

cactus1 and mcsfabrication like this.