Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OK. I know I am asking for abuse but..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boon BA, Jun 23, 2017.

1. I can understand some of the comments without totally agreeing with them. Yes, the flaty style carbs and adapter are on a OHV Chevy. Yes, the alternator looks very fresh. Etc, etc. None of it really bothers me. It looks like you MacGyvered it together from what you had in the parts pile and not according to a strict set of rules. If I were in the driver's seat, I would maybe switch in an old Mopar, bingo ball cage type alternator to embrace the "parts pile theme" even more.

robracer1 likes this.
  2. I don't mind the covers at all. you don't see them that often that for sure. the 2 carb adapter leaves a little to be desired. you would probably be shocked at how much better it runs with a 500 Carter on it. If it was mine, I would put a set of chrome chevy script covers on it and a 4 barrel with a early 60's looking air cleaner. It would tie the look together better. But that's all just personal preference. Its a bitchen looking car! it sits right and the chop is dead on for my taste. I would think about painting where the chop was done or at least put some primer there. If you like it who gives a rats ass, run that sucker all summer! and if some one tells its wrong or that's not right, just ask them where is their car? most of the time they don't have one or it hasn't been on the road in 20 years.

49ratfink, quick85 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. carbking

carbking

Really nice looking car!

The valve covers don't bother me one way or the other.

But there was a song in the early '60's about that 2 -> 4 adapter and set-up, sung by both Dionne Warwick and Leroy Van Dyke ...................................................................."Walk on by"!

However, as others have stated, your car; if YOU like it, then its the cat's meow!

Jon.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

OP I hope you got what you were looking for? Let me take it for a month to cruises around here...I'll keep a log...

49ratfink and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. I like it! If you like it is all that is important. Have a ball! :cool:

49ratfink and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Boon BA

Boon BA

There are studs welded to the top of the stock Chevy valve covers to match the Lincoln holes.

7. Boon BA

Boon BA

Great honest feedback. "Always Trust the HAMB".

I want a nice put together package that each component made sense. The Engine bothered me. sounds like it was out of place a little in the back of my mind. That's why I asked.

Thanks!

FYI
    The patina is real and yes the chop needs to be painted. I am just having a hard time letting go of the patina. .lol

49ratfink and Bruce Fischer like this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""FYI
    The patina is real and yes the chop needs to be painted. I am just having a hard time letting go of the patina. .lol""

While not exactly patina my shoebox has been red primer for 49 years..Think I like it?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Looks good to me. I don't get the animosity towards the 2 carb adapter, that set up looks better to me than a stock iron manifold w/ 4-barrel. It's hard to come up with an attractive single 4 air cleaner. Keeping in mind that if we're going to be strictly era correct, 4 barrel carb offerings were pretty limited up till mid 60's. Does a bright plated Edelbrock carb get a pass? There were no single 4 carb aluminum intakes until mid 60's at the earliest. So that Performer Air Gap intake is not any more era correct than this adapter (though it may run a helluva lot better!).

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Had a dude just a couple of weeks ago here on the HAMB criticize my car for the "fake patina". What a dick! Sorry I'm slow to get the paint completed, I've got a freakin' life to live here. The paint will get done in time.

Bruce Fischer, robracer1 and nochop like this.
  11. slowmotion

slowmotion

I like your car a bunch, very well done.
    Those vertical line valve covers make me wanna hurl, no matter what I see 'em on. It's a square peg/round hole thing to me, no harm meant. Drive the crap outa it & have a ball!

12. It's an open engine so keep the guard on the alternator belt............. unless you like seeing your girlfriend pulled in to the fan blade by her ponytail. At most spray the yellow zinc guard with some rattle can flat black.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  13. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

A friend and I were standing next to my 27 hiboy roadster. Many areas of the car were "unfinished". But it was a ton of fun and very dependable. I had just returned from the 95 Americacruz and had a blast. A local street Rodder with show cars came over and was looking at my roadster. He shook his head and said" I just don't get it." . My friend looked at him and said "well then, we damn sure can't explain it to you." He walked off and we went back to enjoying the day with our cars.

Pufff, Poh and clunker like this.
  14. Boon BA

Boon BA

Yeah it sticks out a bit he he. The builder is a farmer and used a tractor mount. With the John Deere green body I thought it was funny at first but its wearing on me a bit. Definitely going to swing the Alt down.

15. VonWegener

VonWegener

He can change out the fancy Lincoln MK II covers with plain Lincoln steel covers for a different look. The Lincoln covers fit over the stock early Chevy covers by welding studs onto them and running the Lincoln cover upside down. I built a set after accidentally having a Lincoln cover slide onto an SBC cover on my parts shelf. You do need to remove some baffling from the inside though.
    I like the look with plain steel ones.

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just figure out how to angle drive the dist. and you will have them really scratching their heads. Never liked the goofy carb adapters. At least paint it black. I like the car though.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I won't take the cop out "...your car so...", and if you accept input then all the better. I'd advise some of the same that's been said already like the adapter and alt screen. Past that, I'd blow some minds further by saying that the bore centers are so close on both engines we drilled the heads and put em on. But I'm just a dick like that. Your valve cover gig does open up additional options as was also said above. Fun stuff...

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nice car, drive it

19. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

The car looks fine the way it is. If it was me Id put a 4 barrel on it, Chevy script covers and mount the altenator low if possible.

20. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ll echo what others have said. I’d have fun with it all summer and not worry about it.

Come winter, if you’re looking for projects, sure, think about changes to the alternator and maybe the carbs/intake.

With those changes, the valve covers might recede in significance. Frankly, that logo on the valve convers is only recognizable to us aficionados. Those not in-the-know will assume it’s a riff on a standard mid-century design element—hell, my neighbor has as similar star-design embossed on the garage door of his rambler (by “rambler” I mean house, not car).

Or you could put off engine updates and focus on fixing the paint around the chop line. I have to think that’s what most people are going to focus on.

It’s a great looking car, regardless.

21. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

If you follow the advice here you will end up with an engine that looks just like everyone else's. Drive it while thumbing your nose at them.

Hankster32, Poh, clunker and 5 others like this.
  22. oldsman41

oldsman41

dont much care for the valve covers or the two into one carb adapter but it aint mine love the way it sits

23. I learned a long time ago that if you have feelings or give a hoot that the worst thing you can do is park your Hot Rod. They all look Grate at 60 mph and we are all cranking our necks with looks of envy. Park it for 5 min. and some one will point there finger and shake there head.
    The Wizzard

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, besides the nagging bolt on changes sounds like you really enjoy driving it - continue doing that. yes, valve covers are Cool looking but, not on a Chevy. dual carbs in place of 4 barrel brings out more of the why? factor. if possible, lower the alternator - either way paint it & guard & distributor cap black - do changes when time and $ permits

25. 1pickup

1pickup

You should put chrome script valve covers & a single 4bbl on it, so it can be different, just like everybody else. :rolleyes:
    I like the covers, because it doesn't look like every other sbc. I like the belt guard, because it's also odd. The carb adaptor does stand out a little too much. Paint it, or look for a different manifold, or paint the manifold aluminum so the adaptor doesn't stand out so much. I know this is a traditional board, but does everyone want every car to look the same? If you need to stick to the traditional guidelines, I'm guessing the valve covers will pass muster, but you need to put a 12V generator on it & lose the alternator. Try to make the car less reliable, & harder to drive. That's traditional.

clunker and '51 Norm like this.
  26. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Those Valve covers were '56-'57 only, & only on MK II Continentals, as those were the only years of production. If you want to check values on them, PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR HEART DOCTOR FIRST!! They are PRICEY!!!

Tman likes this.
  27. Ipickup has beat me to it , exactly what I think ...

28. You asked so I won't go with the usual Your Car BS. I'm not a fan of valve covers from one brand of motor to another - it makes me think the owner is ashamed on the motor and wishes he had the other. I'm a die hard Ford guy - Blue oval motors in most things for me, BUT I bought a 31 coupe with a SBC one time and it had Ford valve covers adapted to it. FIRST thing I did was throw them away! (and I was a little ashamed of having a Chevy, LOL)
    Ont the other hand I don't mind seeing Ford Y Block or those Lincoln covers on a different Ford motor, they are just a different style of Ford, to me no different than Corvette Valve covers on every SBC known to man.
    As for the intake, I'd either look for a proper 2 two barrel mainfold (or better yet 3) or I'd put an old Carter or Q-Jet on it. That set up looks goofy and makes less power, which is anti Hot Rod mantra!
    Lastly the Alternator - It is horribly out of place - it's the first thing that draws your eye. Mount it down low and lose the guard and Bob's Yer Uncle.
    The only other comment has to so with your lakester style headers - Those flanges on the end of the meg that are all scalloped that Hedman uses are way too modern looking to me. Not something you would have seen in the era your car is leaning towards.
    It's the little things that make a big difference between an OK car and an Outstanding one - and You asked :)
    Have fun!

upspirate likes this.
  29. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

114287681203_0_ALB.jpg I had the flanges cut off these Lincoln Valve Covers and new flanges welded in to bolt up to the Chevy Heads. They have since been chromed. The only people who get pissed about them are the ones who were initially fooled.

30. I can't imagine getting pissed about it - but then I can't imagine any CAR guy getting fooled either. I just think it's silly

Pist-n-Broke likes this.