Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods JB Weld Shift Knob Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk4cash, Jun 12, 2017.

1. junk4cash

junk4cash

Picked up a vintage Hurst Comp Plus bench seat shifter for my 55 wagon. only problem is that the previous owner put the shift knob on with jb weld since the hole was too large in the knob. Without removing the knob I can't get the boot on. This shifter does not have the removable stick so the boot must go on over the top. Hate to ruin the vintage knob but I heard heat is the only thing that will break down JB Weld. Another question is what temp will the chrome start to blue? I don't want to ruin the chrome. Thanx for any input

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Try using a strap wrench on the knob with some padding so that you don't damage it.
    The knob just may break loose and thread off due to the JB weld having become threaded as it cured.
    Just might work.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I have done what blue one said more than once on a number of things and it does work.

4. oldolds

oldolds

Yup, just twist it off. Done it many times.

5. thunderplex

thunderplex

Remove the boot, remove the shift lever, slip the lever thru the boot, reinstall the lever and boot.

Ta-da...! Next.

6. greybeard360

greybeard360

Read the thread again... The stick does not bolt on.

Ta-da! Next!!!

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If that doesn't work, try an electric heat gun. Might take a while, but it think it will get hot enough to let the JB give way, or at least turn, before you blue the chrome. For those of us who aren't really good with a torch.

8. jb weld, a great product, is like all other epoxies. It's weakness is high heat.
    If you cannot dip it in almost boiling water to soften it, you can at least heat up the metal shifter handle with a heat gun for several minutes, then with a welding glove twist it off while the epoxy is soft and weak.
    I've done that on other epoxied parts a few times.

why be ordinary?

9. ...of course that is counting on the shifter knob having a higher melting temp than the epoxy, or twisting it off while the epoxy is hot, but before the knob itself reaches critical temp.

why be ordinary?

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I recently bought a very used Hurst Mystery Shifter for the 49-54 Chevrolet passenger cars; some PO had installed a 4 speed shifter ball on it, and there was NO WAY it was coming off without resorting to brute, damaging force. Chucked up the stick in the vice, and out came the large channel lock pliers. I won the match, and the shifter ball actually does't look too much worse than it did when I started. You're going to ruin the ball no matter what method you use; start with the least damaging way to save the stick; leave the heat out until it's the very last resort. JMO.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Before craziness set's in...... How about flipping it upside down, and using a lil oil, or candle wax? Let it soak a bit before resulting to part destruction....

Blacktop VooDoo likes this.
  12. junk4cash

junk4cash

13. The shifter does come apart. You have to drive the sleeve out of the upper bolt hole. You could clean all the arms and spring plates up while it's apart. Brush some moly grease on everything , slip on the boot , and re-assemble.
    It's not real complicated . Take pictures as you go.
    Just an alternative.

Mr48chev likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. The path of least resistance:
    upload_2017-6-12_15-54-8.png

15. junk4cash

junk4cash

Already took the plates out and cleaned ans greased...that spring in there looks like a major pain to get back in. 20160905_131202.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Good job. Like to see the hands on stuff vs. the catalogs all the time.
    If you don't have an alignment pin, just use a 1/4 drill bit to center it all up in neutral.

junk4cash likes this.
  17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Just a side note
    Bluing from heating chrome can be polished out,
    If slow and careful you can heat chromed steel dull red and still polish it shiny again.

junk4cash likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:confused: So.... how did you get the dam knob off ?

Automotive Stud likes this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

I just skimmed through the thread, but I think (long story short) he cut it off with a hacksaw and then was going to JB Weld it back on!

54vicky likes this.
  20. junk4cash

junk4cash

21. JB Weld and the other 2-part epoxies have an "advertised strength" which is tested by pulling at opposite sides of the bounded halves. However with a twisting/torque/shearing stress they can let go at a surprisingly low force with simple hand tools and a bit of leverage. They are good products and I'm not knocking them in any way. I use them all the time and recommend them. But you know the old adage: If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger lever 'til you do succeed.