Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Braided brushes' wires fried, 48 Aerosedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by freezerburn, Jun 22, 2017.

1. freezerburn

freezerburn

Thanks a ton for looking here's some pics IMG_2644.JPG IMG_2647.JPG

This is concerning a 48 Chevy Aerosedan w a 12volt conversion using the 6volt starter. Has never done this before... the starter keeps spinning after I let off the stomper until I disconnect the battery.
    Having a bit of a problem (a few but here's the one on deck now)
    the braided wires that go to my brushes have grounded and shorted out against the starter hosing on the inside. The copper contacts on the starter foot stomp sylinoid have welded together in the engaged position. I pried them apart. Happened twice and I cleaned and smoothed contacts and it did it again.

Prior to this I painted the pieces of housing, nose cone and end plate. Just now I thought to bare metal the mating surfaces continuous to the bell housing face. I also replaced the brushes and that is all.

I am scared shitless to run it again until someone has some input. On another note I've noticed that tons of images of starter brushes haven't got any kind of insulation on their braided copper leads so I hesitate to tape mine up. Do you think that my creating a continuous ground from end to end to bell housing will fix my problem? Best regards and do take care, Freezer'

ps- all four braided wires are damaged in the same manner. ANY helpful comments much appreciated. fb

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Use a '49 - '54 pass. car starter with a '55 - '56 solenoid ...

3. Can you see where the leads shorted to? There must be something which it is touching which is grounding out. It won't hurt to insulate the lead, but the lead has to remain fairly pliable.

4. stimpy

stimpy

you can use the spark plug wire heat sleeve insulation over the wires its made for high temps and non conductive .

5. freezerburn

freezerburn

Good stuff folks thank you a lot! freezer'

6. freezerburn

freezerburn

36roadster A+ Sir!
    Problem solved and thank you all for your much needed input to get my old girl back on the road where we belong! The problem was the brushes' braided bare wires were left a tad too close to the starter housing after rebuild. There are four braided and bare brush wires- two are grounded with screws, two are hot and none are insulated. Protection from grounding out (arching) is strictly the routing of the leads. The two hots are connected by an insulated piece of wire which connects them together "after" the brushes. Route the hot braideds close to the central area of the housing at the expense of the negs as they don't matter as they are bolted to the end cover anyway. Be cool, fb

ps- The brush holder pivot pins are insulated with a non-metalic cup that is pressed in with the pivot pins at the time of manufacture. -fb

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. Glad to hear you worked it out. Another Fleetline on the road is always good!

8. freezerburn

freezerburn