Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Grandma's Bullet Bird

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by GNon18s, Dec 3, 2016.

1. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

2. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Modified the original leafspring mounts to accept the new lower control arm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete and Kustom Cline like this.
  3. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Sometimes they don't turn due to gummed up intake valves. I once pulled a 59 Bird out of long term storage and the motor would not turn. I tried to crank it and bent a bunch of intake pushrods. Once I freed up the valves it ran just fine.

GNon18s and loudbang like this.
  4. I didnt "like" all of your posts 'cause you'd get a bunch of notifications.... but you're doing a unbelievable job, considering its only been 1 1/2 months from start or so...
    I'm on my trunk for almost a week now and havent yet done it...
    So, congrats, your granny would be proud. Also great work with the kids.

5. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Thanks, Its actually been a little over a year. I didnt do a build thread originally because i wasnt sure were it belonged in regards to car forums. Im glad I brought it to the HAMB, people seem to dig it and that motivates me to make more progress and post more pictures!

6. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Just a quick update to keep me motivated. Rebuilding all the suspension and rear axle is kind of dragging out longer than expected. I rebuilt the Ford 9" third member with new bearings and seals, kept the original 3.00 gears for cruising.
    [​IMG]

7. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Disk brakes would have been nice but there's just too much to buy right now. Original power assisted drum brakes were rebuilt, ready to put some miles on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The T-Bird is looking awesome!

GNon18s likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a phone call from an elder with a white '63 T-Bird he needed to get rid of, or it was going to Pick-n-Pull! I took a case of Bud over, and we loaded it up on the trailer. There were RATS running all over the engine, (his nephew had torn it down, lost some brackets...)
    It was a jewel...and a great stablemate for my white '63-1/2 Galaxie! Free...for a case of BUD!
    The time spent on cleaning the interior (removing the red carpets, and throwing them and the white headliner in the trash, removing the seats and cleaning and saddle soaping them, perfect!)
    did me in. I contracted a respiratory illness, breathing problems Capitolous! Dizzy, muscles affected, 3 years before it was discovered what was the cause...
    I dropped the 'Bird 3", front and back. Skirts were found by my son, white, looked like new...perfect match.
    Too late, I was still sick, sold it to a young 'Rockabilly' that liked it for its 'headroom'...didn't interfere with his 'pomp'. (actually, he looked pretty good in it, with his cool '50s shades...)
    Miss my 'swingaway steering'!

10. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Fitted the front shockwaves to the upper control arm after a full day of fabrication. While the suspension was apart I sand blasted and powder coated almost everything. New bushing, bearings, and seals. Still need to run air line and wiring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pwschuh likes this.
  11. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

12. Constructionbob

Constructionbob

Nice & clean work. A real family affair!
    Roof is so smooth! Dig height to.. or lack off, mostly!

GNon18s likes this.
  13. Autolite

Autolite

I'll second that... nice and clean. I've always been a big fan of the bullet birds.

Hatchet and GNon18s like this.
  14. Always loved those cars and I may have a line on one locally, possibly a fire sale. The guy is out of work and running low on unemployment bennies. The car is either light blue or Wimbledon (or whatever they call it for 'Birds) white. I saw it once 2 years ago. A very nice driver.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Nice work!

GNon18s likes this.
  16. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

I used to own a company that repaired burned and vandalized vehicles. Once there was a smell inside from either fire , rats, mice or dead bodies, we found the best way to seal the smell off was to use automotive clear coat on the inside sheet metal after the interior was removed.

Raw sheet metal will absorb an Oder and the only way to get rid of it is to seal it off.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Kroombit, GNon18s and loudbang like this.
  17. ricklove

ricklove

Thanks for sharing! ..... and you know Grandma is smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GNon18s and loudbang like this.
  18. 46stude

46stude

The 4 wheel power drum brakes stop my 'Bird just fine. I had my booster rebuilt, & replaced the wheel cylinders, shoes, & the rubber hoses- no regrets.

brEad, GNon18s and loudbang like this.
  19. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

While most of the interior is out I'm trying to sort out the heater/air conditioner. After sitting 42 years I don't trust anything that has coolant in it. I ordered a new heater core and replaced all the vacuum lines on the heater box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

This is an original air conditioning car but I got a new, modern a/c compressor from American auto air. I'm just doing a mock-up to cut and crimp ac lines to length.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad, BradinNC and Dean Lowe like this.
  21. indyjps

indyjps

Great build, such a clean car to begin with. Id say get it running, may be a reason why Grandma parked it after owning it 3 years. Keep the updates coming.

dinglebarry likes this.
  22. Galaxie460

Galaxie460

I love your car, dad bought a 63 bird with 3400 miles on it in 64 and it was the first car I ever drove.

One question, did you have to change the length of the lower link bar to use the stock spring mounts?

23. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

I shortened both upper and lower 4link bars that came with the universal ridetech kit

24. wisdonm

wisdonm

Rule No. 29. No pixs...never happened.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Galaxie460

Galaxie460

thx for the info on the four link, I have a 59 Galaxie that I'm thinking of doing the same thing to on the rear

26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

How's this project going? Updates?