Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Customline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Auslander, May 10, 2017.

1. What are you using for the front license plate bracket? I've been looking for one with no luck.
    [​IMG]

Austinrod likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^ Bomb. I use washers behind mine to make it straight. Not what I want but what I use. Getting ready to make a bracket out of 1" aluminum strap using a rubber pad behind it.

loudbang and Bomb like this.
  3. I was hoping you had one of those front brackets made from unobtanium so I could see what it looks like.

4. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

Yes, I'm just using a couple pieces of plastic tubing to space it out. I plan on making one up out of strap as well. My understanding is it looks something like this. 1959 bracket.jpeg

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  5. That looks like one from a 59 Ford but I think it's still a little too flat to use on a 56.
    I've thought about using a bracket from a Continental MkII but they're a bit too expensive.

Auslander likes this.
  6. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

So the engine compartment has come a long way. From building a battery tray from scratch on day 1, to removing that rats nest of wiring. The coils of wire are capped off and will go away once all the additional items are added (AC, ignition, etc.). Oh, and I still need to add in brackets, and grommets. Likely plan on building proper harness out of friction tape when all is in place. Not a hard job, but a fussy job to get right...

IMG_3172.JPG

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  7. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

Right, it is a 59 I believe. I'm thinking of more of a bend and mounting it upside down (referencing the picture) to get the plate up a little bit more, and more centered on the bumper.

8. verde742

verde742

really like your Ford, good lookin'

only thing I would change,, : the license plate would have to use the bottom two holes, not the top ones...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    loudbang and Auslander like this.
  9. Avgas

Avgas

Great progress on a fine looking ride! Can you confirm your front & rear shock part numbers for me? The front shock number did not come up at Summit? Cheers Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Auslander likes this.
  10. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

11. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

So on to the broken windows and dry rotted rubber. All new rubber, wipers, glass, and channels. I forgot how much of a PITA this is :). Drivers door completed with smoked glass...
    IMG_3173.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Bruce Fischer, loudbang and mgtstumpy like this.
  12. Nice progress! You've really been working your tail off.

Auslander likes this.
  13. sololobo

sololobo

great looking car, so pleased to see you doing it right. Every time an old car is saved a family gets a new puppy!

OahuEli, 49toad and Auslander like this.
  14. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

All the flat glass, channels, rubber, and wipers replaced. Glad to be done of that...

IMG_3174.JPG

loudbang and mgtstumpy like this.
  15. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NIce job, good luck .

Bruce Fischer and Auslander like this.
  16. belair

belair

Nice work. You have made a neat little car better.

loudbang and Auslander like this.
  17. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

So, I've been trying to get everything inside done before I put in the new interior. Almost made it. Still need to add the AC. Anyway, the insulation is all in and she's ready for a new interior...
    IMG_3183.JPG IMG_3184.JPG IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3186.JPG IMG_3188.JPG

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That's a good looking car. PITA now however later you won't be disappointed doing all those things, it will make the car more comfortable, reliable and enjoyable to drive.

Bruce Fischer, loudbang and Auslander like this.
  19. I have the Fat Mat in my '59 too, great stuff!

Attached Files:

Auslander likes this.
  20. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

Good news on a day of bad news :) so what's the verdict over time? Sure went on well and seems solid...

21. I used the Rattle Trap line, about .080 thick and also have it on the inside of the roof. This has all been in place for just over a year. No stink, no softening or ooze anywhere even in extreme heat. I call it a good product. My buddy who used Dyna Mat said that the Fat Mat is more flexible and his tore in tight spots, not sure if he used a heat gun... or not.

Bruce Fischer, loudbang and Auslander like this.
  22. Auslander

Auslander
    from Austin, TX

So, I need to source a couple of odd ball non existent parts. Any help, or crazy ideas appreciated. First off, I'm looking for the seat skirts/shields for the front seats. These are the 2 pieces that fit on either side of the front seat and hide the mounting hardware. I think I'm just stuck calling wreckers here, but any other crazy ideas appreciated.

The second thing I'm looking for are the sun visor brackets. I'm thinking I can find something close and make it work here. I'm not going for originality, but it would be nice to have something if I ever get caught driving into the sun. Based on the mounting holes, looks like it was a triangle mount with the arm/spring going through the center and straight back. Can anyone confirm? Anyone know something similar that might fit? Thanks!

IMG_3189.JPG

Bruce Fischer and loudbang like this.
  23. Auslander and loudbang like this.
  24. The '59 visors may be similar, but nobody re-pops them that I know of. I had 2 sets that I cherry picked the 2 best brackets from. Look at the truck ones too, they may be close. Watch eBay, they come up now and then. Also look in the Ford Barn classifieds, post a want-ad.

Auslander and loudbang like this.
  25. BlueLodgeMason

BlueLodgeMason

26. BlueLodgeMason

BlueLodgeMason

27. Aussiepete.

Aussiepete.
    from Australia

Love the color combo and 2 door post cusso are my favorite. Enjoying watch the build

Sent from my SM-G925I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Auslander likes this.
  28. Thanks for a great thread - kind of a "how to" in prepping a family cruiser for long term enjoyment. Car is looking sweeter and safer by the day!

29. On my Oldsmobile I used the sliver sticky sided stuff Lowes sold .It worked well .The sun visors were also shot in it .I had extra pieces of the new rug I had put in left over so I decided to try it on the visors. It really turned out good. Bruce.

Auslander likes this.
  30. I second the Lowe's stuff - have not used it personally but some of my hot rod buddies have and like it a lot. Comes in different widths which are much easier than Dynamat sheets or its equivalents ..... cheaper too ...