Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, L.A. Roadster 2017 swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V8RPU, Jun 19, 2017.

1. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

OK, I have been reading the comments about the 2017 L. A. Roadster Show. How do you determine a successful event? First is what was there. If you are into traditional Hot Rod, Custom, vintage speed equipment there is no other swap that comes close. The rare and cherished parts were in abundance. Early Ford stuff of all kinds were everywhere. Many A, T, Deuce, 33-40 Ford projects, cars, and bodies were up for sale. What was not there were vendors with flea market crap, shrink wrap Chinese shit, worn out 4X4 debris etc.
    Second is who was there. This meet brings together enthusiasts from all over the world. Vendors from far away make the trek to LARS. From my spot I could see two loads of really good parts from Colorado, and one load from Tennessee. Plenty of sellers from Nor Cal, Arizona, Nevada etc. were there. The people vending and shopping are among the most dedicated and enthusiastic members of our community. The collective knowledge and experience of all things hot rod is incredible. If the stuff for sale is not enough just rubbing shoulders with the guys there is worth the trip. I always meet people new to me who add to my enjoyment of the hobby.
    Third is how successful was the buying/selling. I bought some great stuff at great prices. I did not set up to sell until after noon on Saturday. By then the crowd had thinned and some sellers were packing up to leave. I quit selling around 3:00. In that short time I sold more than I have at the last four LARS swaps. Money wise I sold more than I did at the four day Portland Oregon swap.
    Was it hot? Yes, it always is at this meet. Was it spread out? Yes, it always is at this meet. Was it a pain to get in and out? Yes, it always is at this meet. Did it cost to get in? Yes, it always does at this meet. These difficulties are not exclusive to the LARS.
    I have made the effort to post pictures of some of what was there. It should be obvious that at your local meets there is nothing that can be compared. Keep crying and not participating. Be envious of a club or individual trying to make some money by promoting an event that we all can enjoy. We seem to enjoy bashing our events and not supporting them. They are all fragile in nature and can easily go away. I do not understand why this is not obvious. What the Hell are you going to do with your car to enjoy it when things like the LARS, GNRS. TROG, HotRod Hillclimb, etc. go away because you do not embrace them?
    IMG_1637 copy.JPG IMG_1639 copy.JPG IMG_1641 copy.JPG IMG_1642 copy.JPG IMG_1644 copy.JPG IMG_1645 copy.JPG IMG_1649 copy.JPG IMG_1650 copy.JPG

2. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

3. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

still more pictures IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1704.JPG

Attached Files:

4. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

more, more, more IMG_1706.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG IMG_1708.JPG IMG_1712.JPG IMG_1713.JPG IMG_1717.JPG IMG_1721.JPG IMG_1723.JPG

wicarnut, 1947knuck, ls1yj and 16 others like this.

5. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

6. Very well put, and thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

7. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @V8RPU for your perspective on the event and your well chosen series of offerings and rides. Some really awesome stuff to be had and/or enjoyed.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Pufff likes this.
  9. drool...

LOST ANGEL and Stogy like this.
  10. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

Neat stuff....thanks!

11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Holy cow batman it was better than looking at pictures of naked girls! Did you see all those three windows??!!??!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

49ratfink, Landmule and czuch like this.
  12. Pierce Arrow dash .... bitchin' !

49ratfink likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing the photos, looks like there was a lot more interesting stuff than some guys let us believe. I saw several items in those photos that are on the "list" for my 31 Vic.

14. swifty

swifty

Excellent report and photos. Your thread gave a completely different perspective of the event compared to what I have read elsewhere. It appears that lots of good stuff was present in the swap meet area along with lots and lots of cool and interesting cars to admire. Thanks for taking and posting your pics of an event which I will never be able to attend.

flatheadpete, czuch and Rich Wright like this.
  15. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Hot rod heaven! In 10 years I haven't seen that much vintage tin in the Southeast...let alone in one place at one time. Y'all are blessed, enjoy!
    Thanks for the pix!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

This deal will have to go on the bucket list for my son and I!!

17. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

It looks like an awesome time and a lot of very cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

You are right on with your perspective as stated. I went to this show a couple of years ago and my knees are still shaking after seeing all the quality & quantity of GOODIES for sale. Our big automotive swap meets have almost turned into FLEA MARKETS. Thanks for taking me back to the L A Roadster Show Swap Meet with your wonderful photos. Larry

19. Yowza,...that's heaven on earth,...you should write for magazines, great post.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

21. Special Ed

Special Ed

Great write-up. Thanks for "keepin' it real"... :cool:

Rich Wright likes this.
  22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll keep this short;

Holy shit...

dana barlow and Special Ed like this.
  23. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

AMEN!!!

Thanks V8RPU. Have made the trip a couple of times - where else can U get a license Tag Frame with your name on it in good condition??

11182279_10153275092104839_2573963374066999304_n.jpg

24. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Does anyone have any other pictures of this cabriolet (thanks Chris) I'm curious what town from L.I. is painted on the door.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  25. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I like you attitude,

For me I have been going since 79, I'm a local but I have driven everything from my 29 sedan, 27 rpu, 29 hiboy, 67 El Camino, 54 Lincoln, even my parents 67 Cougar XR-7.

A few LA Roadster members I know have expressed in the past the time and effort it takes to coordinate the show, hopefully this move with our feedback will keep it going for years to come. A few of my friends boycotted the show for several reasons: a few are pro builders and parts suppliers, but everyone has an opinion.

I saw that attendance seemed down, the swap was good, a little spread out as always, vendors seemed like they were doing well. I got to see a few friends and met one of my hero's a founding member of the Early Times CC who introduced me to Roy Brizio.

Overall I will be there next year.

One note I heard, remember I heard this second hand the the non profit guide dog booth may not be allowed back due to it being a non profit organization, if this is true, I hope they will be welcomed, back, I know non profit arenas can be tricky, but if it takes a little effort to bring them back, I hope Mr. Buck sees fit to do so.

This is my opinion only !!

Thanks for reading

dana barlow and Special Ed like this.
  26. LA Roadster 6th.jpg Well Said! And this is the type of perspective that will keep things moving forward in a positive manner. Not all the childish whining from folks who just seem to look for the bad and relish in being negative.

And I think going forward John and the Rod Shows folks will listen to the suggestions and even the criticisms to improve things and make it better - after all it's in their best interests to do so isn't it? If you think it is just about making a dollar, you don't know John. Yes it's his livelihood, but he is also a passionate car guy, maybe not to the extent of some of us, but he IS one of us. I am already looking forward to next year.

One last thing - I liked what V8RPU had to say, but must admit I found it interesting that it was almost purely from the Swap meet perspective. The Swap Meet used to a side deal, not the Main deal. The Roadsters were The Show. Look at this poster from #6 in 1964. Notice the Swap Meet (Sponsored by Rod & Custom Magazine) was a Bonus ! not the main attraction. Also the show was One Day Only back then - Father's Day!

27. That is a Cabriolet

Flat-Foot and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. contspanko

contspanko

its tingeezer on the hamb

29. rjones35

rjones35

Cool stuff, thanks!

30. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Dammmmmmm , a front mounted scot blower for a Flathead!
    I wish i would have been there.
    Anybody knows who sell it?