Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2017 LA Roadster show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Jun 17, 2017.

1. roundvalley

roundvalley

Not a negative but is it true that there are only 52 club members?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I quit drinking back in 1998, but the returns on beer cans is thirty cents on a 6pack here in Connecticut, California may be different, 30 cents x 365 gives you $106.80. Entry for TWO Roadsters and a cheap 6pack . :)Bob

Chris and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

It,s funny to me that the people that bitch about paying $50 to get into the show will be the same guys that bitch when it gets cancelled due to lack of support.
    Grow up

4. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

...thanks for reading the post & providing your input.

Technically, I didn't mention a leasing fee. However, I did ask the open question whether or not the L. A. Roadster club lowered their fiscal expectations after deciding to allow another party to manage the show on their behalf (referring specifically to the fact they are no longer providing the "manpower" or "warm bodies" to perform all the physical & clerical work that RodShows, Inc. now has to provide & pay wages for). Also, for the record, my net returns figures (i.e., "money made") were clearly stated as "estimates" based on both subjective and/or objective information along with some real figures (such as the actual amount of swap spaces on the premises [objective] vs. visually estimating the amount of spaces actually paid for & being utilized by swappers in attendance [subjective]). Again, this still moves to the point that "reality dictates what will happen in the future", no matter what some of our fellow enthusiasts imply on this space about participants/spectators/swappers being "cheap" or "whiners" or that the L. A. Roadster club and/or the new event management are "greedy" or "money grubbers". If it is true what had been mentioned in this thread previous to this post that "the Fairplex is in the red", or that the new event management has "agreed to pay the L. A. Roadsters $150,000.00 a year for the next 4 years to manage the event" or "it's up to US, the hot rodders, to make or break the event" then isn't it obvious this layout at this venue, or maybe even considering to continue using this venue is no longer economically a viable option for this event? And if that's the case, what's the point of carrying on this discussion any longer?

Because, deep down, all of us sharing our "2 cents" here on this forum want this show to continue in some way, shape or form in the near future. Pointing fingers at people being money hungry or being obese, cry babies that should spend less money on food & just pay the entry fee & shut up isn't going to move this situation forward to a resolution. There are multiple factors involved here that have had a negative effect on the event from various avenues. But it's the endearing quality that past events have had on all of us over the decades we've attended that has made it so special to the point it's become almost a religious pilgrimage to "Roadster Mecca". "For the Love of it" will be the determining factor whether or not this event survives. I've said before a few weeks ago, if the event has the "IT" factor, it will continue and be what it always has been and should be, "The God-Dang, Mother-Lovin', Kick-Butt L.A. Roadster show" we've planned on attending for decades. So, yes, it is up to "US" to "make or break the event". But that "US" & "hot rodders" includes everyone; participants, spectators, promoters, club members and the like, so let's keep the discussion open, honest, positive & make criticism's in constructive forms, not in a "finger pointing", accusatory or judgmental fashion that only accomplishes "throwing shade" on others. Otherwise, expect nothing to change, but I don't think that's what we want here, right?

...On another note; In similar fashion with this years L. A. Roadster show, but in a different way, I believe that the NHRA Motorsports museum arguably "fumbled the football" on last years Hot Rod Reunion at Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, CA, when they had a "change of management" for this event (NHRA Motorsports Museum personnel, i.e., no more Steve Gibbs who began the CHHR in 1992 & later the Cackle Fest for the "Love of IT" and the desire to share & re-live for a weekend what was now Nostalgia but never forgotten and still cool & bitchin' about Top Fuel drag racing initially-the grass roots participants who started it & persevered with sheer passion & enthusiasm). This personnel transfer had a negative effect at this event in 2017 by not "leaving well enough alone" and on the "Cackle Fest" in particular, with not only how the Sat. evening event was executed but how past participants were treated. In lieu of a similar, new non-NHRA event scheduled to occur this summer at the Barona drag strip facility in San Diego County (possibly in response to this occurrence last Oct. at Famoso Raceway?), it remains to be seen what the NHRA Motorsports Museum's 2018 CA Hot Rod Reunion will be like. Here, a small group of people managing an event that has occurred successfully since 1992 (I've attended since 1994), without thinking about or getting feedback from their participants & spectators autonomously made "adjustments" that resulted in "sea change" ramifications that did nothing to improve or even maintain the quality, or "IT" factor of the event that has made it such a unique & enjoyable spectacle to attend (just like the L. A. Roadster show & exhibition).

I think both of these events are unique, particularly when compared to the general "National Event" structure other automotive enthusiast associations produce (and some of these are great, too, in my opinion). But these organizations have been producing shows for decades, expanding their membership base and scheduling multiple regional events across the country annually. You may or may not like them, but they are still around some way, some how, putting on multiple annual events successfully. That begs the question, "How hard is it to maintain a unique, wonderful, engaging & iconic once a year specialized automotive enthusiast affair that has been held for over 50 years (the L. A. Roadster Show) or 25 years (NHRA Motorsport Museum CA Hot Rod Reunion)? Looks like there is some re-assessment, re-evaluation & moreover, reality checks that will have to considered by the namesakes of these events and their management groups if they are to continue successfully...They are the other part of "US" and are "hot rodders", too. It's time to lay the cards out on the table, come to a conclusion and if possible make some adjustments to pave a way forward for the future of this event. I hope all of "US" will come together with a compromise that works for all "hot rodders", but am still cautiously optimistic only in light of the fiscal requirements of producing the event in its current form and the financial realities of it's participants, spectators, swappers and vendors. Thanks for your time. PRE48V-8\:^]

6-bangertim and WiredSpider like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did the Roadster guys with a two hour drive stay away while the ones with a two DAY or longer drive show up? Bob

6. Wow...glad I didn't go. My excuse was the heat but I would have been pissed off had I driven the 60 miles east to see an empty parking lot.

7. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

and I thought I was an ass....

Dean Lowe, WiredSpider and Special Ed like this.
  8. Very well said Pete - and pretty close to the sentiments that I expressed to quite a few folks as well. Like I told one guy who said "well it used to be free and now I have to pay" - "Yeah, well gas used to be 35 cents and now it's three bucks, so did you stop driving too?"
    This is NOT new - we have had to fill out a State Board of EQ form for a number of years now. And it's true at pretty much ALL So Cal swap meets.

First off no one "Bought" the show, the LA Roadsters are an Aging club who needed help big time, the show has been having issues for a few years now. John is an LA Roadsters MEMBER who also puts on the Grand National Roadster Show and the Sacramento Autorama and he stepped up with a deal to lease it from the club with no guaranty that he wouldn't lose his ass. I remember when he first took over the GNRS after it had moved to So Cal and all the whiners then saying it was ruined and doomed - well that show has done nothing but Grow over the years and I haven't heard anyone lamenting about it moving from Oakland (and all the other places it bounced around to) in a LONG time. As for him "Destroying the Show", I was there Friday through Sunday and while the attendance was down a bit, no question, we had a damn good time and there were definitely certain aspects that were better than the recent past years. Change is always tough for some folks, and instead of giving it a chance, it's easier to whine and cry. Boo Fuckin Hoo. We'll be back with our group next year, I've been going for 35+ years and am not going to stop now. Those that would rather bitch about only short change themselves.

BigDogSS, wkends, Blues4U and 8 others like this.
  9. bondolero

bondolero

EXACTLY ! If the show fails the SoCal rodders need to look at the naysayers , not at the promoter. The swap meet used to be incidental to the car show and now it seems to be the primary draw according to the locals. The swap meet is turning into another Pomona Swap Meet with hot rods as incidental eye candy.

Special Ed and hotroddon like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hershey is the same way here on the East Coast, a car show that was over shadowed by the Swap Meet years ago. The 25 years old and it is an "antique" is another story that killed my interest in looking at the show field. I'll be back to the LARS, if the Californians don't kill it. Bob

11. Now I paid my 50 bucks to go in my Roadster. Fucking Roadster blew the Tranny Friday on the way up!! Went home got in My Fairlane and drove up Sat and paid another 40 bucks on Sunday!!! It was just sad to me the total lack of participation. Sure it cost a bit but like has been said all good things cost $$$ The sad thing for me was to hear and see those that traveled many miles to see this event and there were very few Roadsters to see. Like many have said if we don't support it it will go away.

12. jeff47wl

jeff47wl
    from sunnyvale

I never made it to Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Baily Circus. The Circus was around for 146 years but is no more as of recently. I wish I had gone though.

I have never been to the LARS either but would like to attend before it disappears also.

Once they are gone they are gone for good. I hope the LARS finds a way to attract the crowd to keep going. We are losing events that we take for granted every year.

13. toml24

toml24

I made to the circus once, about 1970 at the LA Forum.
    I made to the LARS once, about 1996 at Pomona.
    I can proudly say ".....Been there.......Done that.......".

14. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

After reading all the posts, it sounds like there has been a lot of mis-information. If I'm not mistaken,the only real"negative" change was charging the roadsters and drivers to get in. Spectators have been paying for years and last year was 20 bucks also.

So, was the lack of participation due to a lot of mis-information, or other reasons. I think this is a question for all the people that CHOSE to stay away. Those that couldn't attend for reasons not associated with the event are exempt of course.

Special Ed likes this.
  15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Hope all the roadster guys get over it next year and show up but won't bother me much as I mainly come for what is still one of the best swap meets on the west coast. Preferred parking and the swap meet area has more variety in cars anyways with less contemporary stuff and more owner built cars. Even if I don't buy anything I meet a bunch of cool folks from all parts of the world and see cars and parts you usually just read about. In the swap there was a complete Offy, hopped up bangers with overhead conversions, loads of magnesium, more than one Man-A-Fre set up, injectors, magnetos, 2 or 3 '32 5 window and cabriolet bodys, '32 heavy beams and a Bell/Cragar tube axle, etc. etc. Not all of it at "Roadster Show" prices either.

Good place to sell related stuff and camp out with your buddies too while making a short trip to the beach in the evenings for fish tacos or Mexican food or check out the Petersen or walk on over too the N.H.R.A. Museum. As far as it being dead on Sunday that's pretty much every "two day" swap or show with most participants actually being there since Friday and needing to get back home for work on Monday. Like that you can get in early on Friday as a buyer only for $40.00. I think previously you could only get in as a seller on setup day. Also, finally no more giant roped off blocks of saved spaces for guys that never show up! Gotta actually pay for a spot before occupying it now. Seen near fist fights over this in the past.

Gene Winfield had his 90th! birthday in the swap area and brought out the Reactor too. Front tires make me wince a little but man that thing is wild.
    w.jpg w2.jpg w3.jpg

bonesy, mgtstumpy and Special Ed like this.
  16. LARS is going to be the start of my next trip from New Zealand in 2019 and even at the size of this years show it will still blow my mind. I believe it will bounce back only if people let it. Hopefully the organisers hear the grizzles and get it back on track and they need to listen to Joe public as there is all ways two sides and they must work together. Give it a chance.
    I will be paying my entry fees in 2019 and enjoy the experience, like I did at Bonneville in 2016. JW

Hamtown Al, Special Ed and The37Kid like this.
  17. I had a two hour drive, and I would gladly drive farther. I, too, would like to hear from the roadster owners who didn't come exactly why.

deucemac, Hamtown Al and The37Kid like this.
  18. zeddman

zeddman
    from Orange, CA

$50 for old car preferred parking? No wonder there was hardly any vehicles in the show. Last year it was $25 for car and driver. Now $50 for car and another $20 per passenger!!!! No thanks! LARS Use to be one of my favorite shows. Now it's become about greed and poor organization. Very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Lots to think about & talk about. Be sure to get involved in your local events - don't rely/assume others will keep it all going

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigDogSS, deucemac, bondolero and 2 others like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

It would be nice to know what the guys that flew in from Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, and other parts of the world think about the No Show Roadster guys. Bob

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  21. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Missed it this year - be back next year!!

Hamtown Al, bondolero and Special Ed like this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A six pack every day, for 365 days? Damn, that's a lot of beer! :D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's going to end up killing all this is we just getting f--kin' old and dying. Our age group loved these cars and there are not the number of "rock-a-billy, rat rod, rice-burners, etc to make up our numbers. Are guys watching values?.... Just an opinion.

seadog, deucemac and bondolero like this.
  24. bondolero

bondolero

Are guys watching values?.

Absolutely agree, prices are down on hot rods...........partially due to the plastic car glut but mostly due
    to all the old coots greatly outnumber the young guys who want them and can afford them.

The37Kid and Hamtown Al like this.
  25. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Have you even priced what other events cost,
    Get online and see what it will cost you to enter or spectate any TROG,hillclimb or dirtdrag event.
    I think you will be surprised at how much it will cost you

26. MoFoMOD

MoFoMOD
    from SO CAL USA

50.00 for one day two wrist bands 75.00 for three days tons of people turned around at the gate and left.

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

25 bucks per person for what, eight hours or so? What's a movie cost now, about 12.50 for a couple of hours? Sounds like quite a bargain to me.

cretin and The37Kid like this.
  28. chromecarney

chromecarney
    from Tucson, AZ

Interesting that a personal email to six of my friends shows up on the HAMB because of my negative comments on what I saw happening to one of America's Premier Events. Being in the event business as I have for over thirty years I saw the future negative results when the 2017 changes were announced. When a promoter makes a change as big as he did this year without any explanation he allows his patrons to form their own opinions on whether they will return and do business again. A lot of the Swap Meet participation being down was the confusion in the new requirement of pre-paid spots only, then changed back to the original and changed again as a combination of both. Confusion? Many of my friends who normally go said screw it. The Roadster entry went to fifty bucks. Not a big deal, but again no explanation. Nobody knew the pewter mugs cost $32 each from England. Most people understand if you explain your reasoning behind the change. The Promoter (Buck) no longer had the Club's free labor and had to hire help to run the event. My comment here is the hired help didn't have a clue to what their jobs were in managing the gates causing revenue losses. But, again, another expense that wasn't explained. The Fairplex has increased their rental rates (I heard it was sold to some Chinese conglomerate). It cost big money to run an event like this. So hopefully those reading this will understand maybe the why's of the low attendance.

Now for my personal experience. I still support this event. I just don't the way it was presented as mentioned above. I had reservations on it's operations. I came at 10 am on Friday as I have in the past even though I was told by Buck's office by email the Gate 1 wouldn't open until noon. There were about 10-15 Roadsters in line. The Gate opened at 10 am. I was #11. I paid my $50 cash as instructed. I received two wristband passes and a cheap window sticker that you couldn't write your name on. No Goody Bag, no Dash Plaque, no Program, no Mug Coupon, no Picnic tickets, no instructions, no shit! Not a good first impression. Talked to many other Roadster owners who shared the same experience. On a personal basis, I had a good day Saturday visiting with friends, but very disappointed in the attendance in all areas. The Swap was filled about a third with real swappers; a third with parked cars as it was cheaper to get two people in with a car than going through general admission with parking; and a third of empty spread out spots. Again not a good first impression for both the swappers and the shoppers.

By Saturday mid-afternoon a lot of Swappers cleared out due to low traffic. Many Roadsters left and a lot of out of town guys went home that night or early Sunday not helping the Sunday attraction for the Promoter.

I feel for the Promoter and I'm sure his financial loss. I believe he may have thought it would be a slam dunk because of the past successes. Unfortunately people don't accept change very well, especially without effective communication. If there is another in 2018? I will be there. Hopefully changes will be made to bring this event back to what it was.

29. VonWegener

VonWegener

Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy to me. You wrote your letter, expected it to be bad and it was for you. Other's had a great time. It's all about your mindset.

The37Kid and Special Ed like this.
  30. I just did a bit of research. The Grand National Roadster show charges each entry that wants to have their car in the show a minimum of 150 bucks, 250 if you want a bigger space to show your car in. Sooooooooo if you do a comparison 50 bucks don't sound so bad!!!!

The37Kid and 26 T Ford RPU like this.