Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1966 Econoline E100 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl5Coupe, Dec 22, 2014.

1. elba

elba

More Pics

Attached Files:

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  2. elba

elba

My Grandson wanted it to look like a TONKA Truck. New brakes, brake lines, windows, engine O/H, clutch, gages, got the horn working ( big job, believe it or not ), new wheels, tires etc.

Attached Files:

3. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Elba
    That is really nice man, Thanks for all the pics. The interior looks great. I'm taking my truck down the same road and hope it turns out as nice as yours. Did the seat frames come with it? I have no seats and need to come up with something.

4. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Went to the swap meet yesterday, Striked out on parts but I picked up a Grant style steering wheel (black and chrome) nothing special but better then what I had and Brad Monster found me a 66 Ga tag in great shape to run. That is way cool brother!!

So no score on parts, Time to make my 1st of many online orders from Mac's. Hinge pins, marker lights and a few other smalls. The big orders will come later.

1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  5. econopoor

econopoor
    from Jackson TN

I've had a real hard time finding anything at swap meets. Not a lot of people trading Econoline parts.

I'm running mustang II seats in my pickup. The take a little engineering to fit them to the stock Econoline brackets. The passenger seat has about an inch less clearance than the drivers seat and the mustang seats are a little tight. They do sit nice. A friend is using 90's Grand Am seats in his. He said they almost bolted right to the stock brackets. Others have had good luck with Miata and Fiero seats. Stock seats can still be had. Fred Carello has patterns and access to stock materials and can sew up some nice original looking seat covers if you want to go the stock route. Fred also does some nice custom work for Econolines. Carpet sets, door panels, engine box covers. Fred did all my interior work.

Here's a picture of my mustang II seats.

[​IMG]

We do a lot of parts trading and discussion on the Vintage Vans site. A lot of good people over there.

http://www.vintage-vans.com/index.html

Duane in Tennessee.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  6. elba

elba

Mine had the seat frames in it. Like econopoor says, not econoline parts at swap meets. Also the repo rubber for vent window DOES NOT FIT GOOD at all. Good luck with those. Front and rear window rubber fits excellent.

7. elba

elba

Best place for parts is EBAY.

RATRODCHEVY likes this.
  8. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Thanks guys
    I'm liking the Mustang 2 seats, Finding them will be another task. I will start looking around and I need to make a trip to the local pull-a-part also. Maybe E bay will have a set.

I joined up on the vintage van site under Carl5coupe. I just need to learn how the site works.

I will keep in mind about the wing window rubber. Something always needs to be a pain in the Ice.
    I'm back on the bondo work tomorrow. I took my coupe out a few days ago and I need to get it back into the shop, I cant wait till I get a larger shop.

9. Looking great Carl. Good to see the boys helping a brother out too, like a real damn car club :D

10. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

Sweet build. Get some safety glasses on your face!

11. econopoor

econopoor
    from Jackson TN

On the Vintage vans site I just click on the "post since last visit" option in the forum and it gives a list of subjects that are being discussed. Just pick out what you want to read. Easy.

Duane in Tennessee.

12. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

I stopped and looked at one of these today, actually a couple of them. One is a 61 three window and the other is a 65 five window. I would like to grab both but the price will answer that. Your build is going great and making great progress. These are one of the koolest rides.

Question is one more rare than the other, if you had a choice which way would you go?

65 with v8 or 61 straight 6 ??????????

Thanks

13. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Hey Rockabilly, Sorry I didn't get back with ya. But anyway, From what I have been told is that the later ones fit the V8 better and are a bit stronger, Don't quote me on that as I can't remember where I heard it from. I think its got something to do with the cross member.

I haven't touched the Econoline all summer. It was taking up a good bit of my garage so this spring I decided to add onto the garage. Its now way bigger and will be done soon. We are in the painting stages and about to set up shop again. I will post pictures later this week.

So did you buy one yet? what is the plan?

14. Carl, been too long. Need some updates dude!

15. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So its been a long time, the truck has come a long way. Let's get an update here.

16. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Here is a cool video we made last winter. I have lots of pictures and updates. I just need to get them loaded up. The truck is looking great in its new paint. Lots going on.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Tudor likes this.
  17. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So the tailgate was pretty far gone with rust and dents. Hears a short video of the making of the new one.

Tudor likes this.
  18. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

During the making of the tailgate I found this cool metal cutting blade. You can pick them up at Home Depot for $40. He goes on a Skil saw and has called a Diablo blade that is made to cut metal. Pretty slick

stealthcruiser and Tudor like this.
  19. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Some tailgate pics. More to come

Attached Files:

Woogeroo and Tudor like this.
  20. More to come! Tune in 2019 !

PBRmeASAP likes this.
  21. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Ok. Found the program. I think this sucker will be able to hold a good bit of weight. The tailgate it self weighs in at 80lbs. It took two weeks start to finish. A good bit of beer to.

Attached Files:

Woogeroo, Dog_Patch and Tudor like this.
  22. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Yowza!

80 lbs.!

Stock hinges?.....;)

23. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Yeah. Stock hinges but made with a 3/4 shank Tudor turned for me. It's heavy as shit but looking good.

24. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So like I got rear ended in my daily driver and Colected some cash. I was able to fix it for just a few hundred bucks and I decided to use the rest for painting the old truck. My dad had this guy up in burnsville North Carolina Paint his El Camino. It turned out damn nice so we talked, agreed on a price and off it went. It's a 4 hr drive there but I got to see mom and dad and my brother and sister. Good deal. Anyway I can't wait to see it done as I have had it for 2 years in the shop and it needs to go.

25. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Grumpy s Customs is where I took it. Nice home town shop deep in the mountains. Great people. Josh is his name.

Attached Files:

26. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

A few more

Attached Files:

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  27. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Paint time. All cleaned up and looking bad ass. Thanks Grumpy Customs!!

Attached Files:

28. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

All painted up but needs work for sure. I have been driving it around town after I put the windsheld in. Fun for sure. I have a simple charging system installed, brake lights and ignition.

29. Stored inside since I got it from you.