Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Decisions,decisions......tires.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Trying to decide on tire size. The tires on the truck are old...really old...from the 70's/80's or 90's with a 3 digit date code (my bet is 70's). It's riding on the po installed bump stops, which brings me to a problem. Do I put some leafs back into the front, get slightly bigger front tires to raise the front a little (possibly wrecking the look) or saving the originality of the build and get the same sizes....leaving the spring alone. The tire I was thinking of is 1" taller in the front (the back stays the same). I'm also putting a temp spare tire on an old 16x4 ford wheel to fit on both front and rear (rear needs an adapter).

Tires on it now on the front are 165sr15 (VW tires, Michelin XZX) and I'm thinking of going with a 205/70r15 (205/65 is the same size as the VW tires).

Truck in question:
    [​IMG]

jnaki, dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy

Air bag it so you can lay the frame on the ground.

BucketListRoadster likes this.
  3. Only if I can pro street tub it too.

Happy pops day old man.......

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. even putting the same size on the front it will very slightly raise the front due to thicker new tread. Also installing a 1" taller tire only should raise it 1/2" because just 1/2" more of the larger tire is between the spindle & the road.
    Jimmie

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

jnaki and RDE like this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That front tire is way too undersized. I'd go much larger than just 1".
    You will also be surprised how much better the ride will become. I changed my tire size on my 34 and the ride improved significantly.
    The rear size looks good but I'd suggest lowering it.
    Those trucks look better with a more even rake. IMOP.
    Air bag?? Give me a break.

7. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Consider a 205/75/15 up front and 235/70/15 in the back.

Gman0046 likes this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

Just my opinion. Lower the back, bigger tire on front. More level lower stance.

Rear fender opening is not the same radius as the tire, my opinion this looks odd and detracts from the look of the vehicle. Pretty common and thats just how the fenders were designed.

The gap from tire to fender makes the different radii stand out. Bury the tire into the fender and this visually goes away - either lower it, or larger tire. Just get the fender edge overlapping all edges of the tire.

Rake or not, is up to you.

You mentioned sitting on bump stops, get that corrected and have your suspension travel figured out, may change your stance. Could save you from buying tires twice.

Great looking truck, nice paint. Make it your own get it riding nice.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  9. metalman

metalman

The truck is sitting on bump stops now? No way could I live with anything riding on bump stops, besides riding like sh-- it will start damaging things. Need to add spring back, if you want it low do it right.
    I had 185-65s on the front, 235-70s on the rear of my 40. Dropped axle, lowered rear perches and reversed eye springs so it sat 1 1/2" off the shortened bump stops. Road nice and I was pleased with the stance.
    DSC_0204.JPG

akoutlaw, lbcd, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  10. The bump stops are longer then the stock ones and it hits them on bumps. It's a stock axle, stock spring with leaves removed. I dunno, if I level out the stance it brings it to a modern era build, instead of the old build I feel. That's the part I'm wrestling with, is the whole vibe. I know ultimately it's up to me, but I am just looking for some insight.

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

12. rjones35

rjones35

What metalman said. I couldn't handle riding on the bumpstops every time I hit a bump, that would suck.

13. I do realize I need to raise it away from the bump stops and to get more use out of the spring, it's just do I want to put it back to the same stance by proper means or change the look.

Here's the back end to get more of an feel for it, it's not really stock but kinda of era specific?.
    [​IMG]

jnaki likes this.
  14. metalman

metalman

Looks pretty close to stock in the back so not sure what "era" your referring to. I feel and I'm sure others would agree 40/41 trucks look best with lowered a bit in the rear, at least till there is no gap above the tire to the fender lip. Needs a nose down rake, front lip down slightly over the tire. A 3" drop all around, maybe a bit more in front, with big and littles does wonders.
    I will admit the truck above with white walls looks good without a rake but it looks to have the same size tires all around. It almost looks like a stocker lowered 3" all around.
    Find the 40/41 Ford truck thread, lots of different setups, tire sizes and era there to look at, you'll find one you think looks right.

15. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Maybe just lower bump stops and new tires of your choice. COOL TRUCK!

16. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

lots of 40 and 41 truck pictures on a post on here , a couple of years ago . might could move your bump stops to the outside or inside of the frame , that way they will still do their jab , but give you more travel for your axles .