Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What Power steering unit on a 1953 F-100 flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1955 F-100 guy, Jun 18, 2017.

1. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

Looking for how and what to use to install power steering on a 1953 Ford F-100 Flathead engine, pictures and who sells the units-- Thanks

2. shelby1965367

shelby1965367

check out mid fifties truck parts website. you will see what power steering unit to get .I put a Toyota 4 whl drv power steering box in my 56 f 100 it works good.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Another possibility out of left field, could be to consider a column change or modification and use one of those electric driven units that are now used exclusively in new vehicles.
    Several hot rod steering companies offer such units.
    I know Flaming River do and I figure who ever sells those cross steering units would also.
    A junkyard search will provide numerous makes and models utilising this method of power assisted steering.
    Chevy Saturn is a start point.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's how Blundell Speed did it on a 49 F1. It wouldn't be too hard to source a suitable pump and fabricate a bracket, depends on your skill etc. Bludell Speed appear to no longer exist as article is a few years old
    upload_2017-6-19_19-56-14.jpeg [​IMG]
    A kit currently on E-Bay, does the job but does nothing in the looks department. It uses a 4x4 Toyota PU box.
    upload_2017-6-19_19-51-9.jpeg

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. just did a Toyota box on a 49 F3. used a GM small metric pump mounted on a custom bracket we fabbed in the shop with a remote reservoir. the box and bracket was the challenge. very tight on the exhaust manifold. used some parts from Mid fifties...pitman arm and there expensive bracket that we had to chop apart and modify as it is not compatible with the 49. Worked out well though and the owner is just thrilled.

6. 97

Armstrong power steering is the simplest, cheapest and most traditional.

117harv, mgtstumpy and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'd look into some of that fancy new fangled electric power, keep it hidden under the dash and not uglify that sweet flathead

8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i chatted with a fellow from norway who installed the electric unit from a saturn vue in his shoebox ford. took up a lot of underdash room, but it's safe and works!

9. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

I'm with Gearhead Graphics,besides why power steering

10. in our case, the fella was 86 and had a hard time steering his F3. He just likes driving around in his old truck and wanted to be comfortable.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Absolutely nothing wrong with that..

12. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

Thanks for all the Advice

13. The Toyota is a good fit for any 50s pickup I reckon. Here are some photos of the installation I did on my '53 Chevy. Had to make simple mounting brackets for the gear and Toyota pump. Any mini pump will work. Pump mounts where the mechanical fuel pump resided before I converted to a Carter electric. Attached it to a GM tilt column with a U-joint.

P7070087.JPG

Steering gear w- column.jpg

Steering power unit.jpg

14. Little know, less cared about fact; the 80s - 90s Toyota 6-cylinder stump puller engine is actually the old 50s GM 235. GM sold the molds to Toyota and all they did was convert it to metric dimensions for the fasteners. As I understand they even left the GM ID marks on the casting molds!

15. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Center the front wheels in the wheelwell before you do anything, never understood why they are so far off center

16. had a friend who did the metal work to center the wheel well around the wheel! That was a 1000 point custom truck that was a pull out centerfold in Custom Truck though.