Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Iron duke Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CopperBandit, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

Yes you can. Here's one I did.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112313&highlight=intake+manifold+diet

2. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

Oh yeah, Clifford Performance also makes aluminum intakes and headers for them.

3. Sass

Sass

4. If you are talking about the 181 Clifford Performance doesn't make them. I was glad to read your post that they did but was disappointed when I called them. Their stuff is for the 153.

Charlie Stephens

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I thought the Mercruiser was Chevy II based. Are there external differences between the 181 and the 153?

-Dave

6. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I would like to have ine for my project just to be diffrent.

7. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

The 181 has a kinda of 8 port head. The intake has 8 ports. The block has 6 ports with the intakes being pair up but open between them the last 1/4 inch before the intake.

8. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

So the question is did GM use the 8 port intake / exhaust on the 153 car motors ?

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The old Nova 4-banger has a conventional Chevy rectangular valve cover.
    The Iron Duke GM universal motor has a valve cover that straight on one side and saw-toothed on the other.

10. GM did not use the 8 port head on the 153. FYI here are pictures of the heads. The rusty head on the right is the 153. The intakes open into a single chamber after they pass the "post" for the bolt.

Charlie Stephens

Attached Files:

11. i have a 82 151 2.5 motor with a torqueflight auto transmission.
    I would love to hold on to it for a future project,what auto/manual tranny will bolt on to it??

12. The one that is in my donor truck has a T-5, I know they also came with 4 speeds.

13. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

I've got one sitting on the east 40, in the back. It came out of my 1981 CJ7 that I bought new in 1980. I ran it for 200K, believe it or not. It wasn't loose, just tired. The 1980 versions had an electronically controlled "feedback" carburator that sucked. I put a 390cfm Holley on a Offy manifold and Clifford headers to get it to run at altitude in the California Sierras. The stock computer setup just didn't work.

This engine displaces 151 cubic inches and was designed and manufactured by Pontiac Motor Division. 1/2 of a 302 V8 was the rumor at the time. The head is a cross flow design which lends itself to better breathing and easier to get more power, so say they who know.
    I still have the CJ7, but it 's running a 2000 Chevy4.3 Vortec V6 and is doing just fine.
    If any one is interested in the Iron Duke, just let me know.

14. It's a 151 cu in banger. I have one in my 50 Willys Jeepster in Key West. I have been dressing the motor up for a while and just now acquired all the parts. Mine came from a 86 AMG postal Jeep DJ-7 with the metric 200 auto. Trans. Runs really great in a light car on an island where the speed limit is 35. The engine was used by everybody, Chevy, Olds, Pontac, American Motors, Jeep, and anyone who could write GM a check.

The little motor runs forever, uses hardly any gas and will run on any shitty island gas you can get. Mine was one that came with a Rochester 2bbl carb that looks like a quadrajet cut in half and did a great job until I got tired of looking at the ugly thing and bought a new Weber for it. I'll post some pics in a week or so when I go back down to reassemble it.

Anybody going down to Fantasy Fest will see it all around town.

15. Gearhead 10

Gearhead 10
    from NW Iowa

Got a couple pics of an Iron Duke in a model A that I just saw yesturday. I took couple pics. Don't know what intake is but he had a couple holley carbs on it. Looked pretty cool to me

Attached Files:

16. carbking

carbking

17. did you take pics?
    I would love to see some.
    thanks

18. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

I'm looking at buying an '85 Iron Duke from an S10 to replace a blown '81 Iron duke that was originally from an '81 Chevy Citation. I know I can fit the carb in place of the TBI, but before I drive 200 odd miles to get the 85 engine, do you know if I can simply change out the '85 dizzy for the '81 if needed?

19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I had one of those (Iron Duke) sitting around for a few years, through word of mouth I finally sold it to a farmer that was needing a replacement motor for a forklift he had.

20. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I don't think a fwd and a rear drive iron duke are direct replacements for each other. I would check things like starter location before driving the 200 miles.

21. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

Thank you for your reply.

I understand the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same across FWD/RWD. However I see that the starters are on different sides for FWD/RWD. Would this be easily overcome with some light fab work? Or is this a bolt on either side affair?

22. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The 153 was from '62 to 70. The intake and exhaust were on the driver's side. The later 151 had a crossflow head. I don't think the Mercruiser boat engine was from the 151 family of engines. Rather,the 153-181 series of engines.

23. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I googled "differences between fwd and rwd iron duke engines".
    I think SOME blocks have holes for starters on both sides.
    Try looking at some Fiero forums as fhey seem to be biggest into engine swaps. Supposedly the vin code of the engine will tell you a lot.
    The one engine line to avoid is the one used in"N" body cars. They have a shorter accessory drive to fit them in the narrower body. They also use a fiber cam gear which gives up at 60k-80k.

24. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

The 151 iron duke installed in Chevy Monzas had the intake and exhaust on the same side in 1977 and at least half of 1978 and maybe longer. The carb was a progessive two bbl on some of these engines.
    GM was gearing up for the fwd cars and started modifying the 151s to fit.

25. Brinze

Brinze

Out of personal experience: I have a 151 Duke on my 88' S10, originally a TechIV. Previous owner burnt the fuel pump and took the EFI brain out, thinking that was the issue. They never got the brain, and couldn't get it started and that's why they got rid of it. Well, I personally swapped the TBI to a brand new Nissan 720 Carb on it. At first, I thought I'd need to replace the distributor, but after replacing the fuel pump, putting a fuel regulator and new spark plugs and wires, it started with no complains. All I did was remove all the sensors and throw the carb in(of course there was adapter-flange fabrication, brackets for wire/linkage, removing the EGR, etc.) but it is currently running, doing about 20-22mpg. Not the fastest engine, but it is my every day driver now. Eventually looking to upgrade it as much as possible. But as I said, no need to change distributor. Maybe only for upgrading purposes.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

I cant ever remember seeing a nova with the 4 cyl. in it . must not have had much go . had a s10 though . very strong mtr . still wouldn't win a race, but I think you could easily remove it . heard to remove v6 , you had to unbolt /lift the cab?!

27. bct

bct

I'm looking for a 79 crossflow head. If anyone can help.

28. I had a '62 Chevy II with a 4 cylinder engine in the mid sixties. Every time I opened the hood people would gather around and scratch their heads. They didn't make very many. If I remember correctly "NOVA" was a model designation of the Chevy II and not available with the 4 cylinder.

Charlie Stephens

29. Deuces

Deuces

Now you have....;) Chevy-II-153-four.jpg

chryslerfan55 and OFT like this.
  30. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I used to have some Iron duke engine stuff. Had one mocked up in my 33 sedan(avatar). I had the off road Super Duty head. Had 1.94 intakes & 1.6 exhaust. Word was it flowed 88% better than the stock head out of the box. Mine was ported , polished and cc'd. Also had Cannon intake with two Weber 45 side drafts, 1.75'' Hooker headers and a two piece Edelbrock valve cover. I think the guy I sold the stuff to may still have it and be willing to part with it. img024.jpg