Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reasonable price to helicoil carb mount hole in aluminum intake?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 61Chevy454, Jun 17, 2017.

1. 61Chevy454

61Chevy454

Pulled the stud out of my intake. What is a reasonable price to have it drilled out and helicoiled?

It's an Edelbrock Performer RPM 2.0

2. I paid $20.00 about 4 years ago

loudbang likes this.
  3. 1/2 hr of the going shop rate in your area.

Buy the kit and do it yourself
    image.jpg

4. Fordors

Fordors

Tell us where you are located, maybe someone here can help.

5. 61Chevy454

61Chevy454

6. no55mad

no55mad

Weld a 5/16 stud to the bottom of a 1/4 stud, cut to proper length. I take a 5/16 bolt (course thread) and put a slot on each side to use as a poor mans tap to prep the stripped hole. This helps prep the hole for your replacement stud and keeps the hole tighter than using a tap. This works good in many applications - like my stripped out chainsaw muffler mounting holes. Gives you more bite in the stripped out hole and keeps the upper stud the same size.

loudbang and Texas Webb like this.
  7. 61Chevy454

61Chevy454

I'd almost prefer to have someone who's done it before and knows what they're doing do it. I want to be done with the problem, haha. Honestly, I'd be fine paying a HAMBer to do it, or the local shop.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Texas57, willys36, BradinNC and 4 others like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Buy the kit as said above, beats the heck out of pulling the intake and taking it somewhere.

Not to sound snarky, but if you don't feel comfortable with drilling a hole and tapping it, who's gonna bolt the carb back on for you?

Little hint, get the shop vac out to catch all shavings, then use grease on the tap, so as you cut new threads, the splinters will stay inside the flutes on the tap.

The only thing you have to be careful about is is when you twist the little retainer off the insert...again, use some sticky grease on the end of the little tool they give you...depending on the stud;s depth, it may not be necessary at all.

YOU CA DOOO EEEEET!

10. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

do it and learn something new and useful...........

11. stimpy

stimpy

do it yourself , got to learn sometime and its a good thing to learn . heck I did 4 of them when I was 16 on my Vw beetle when the studs stripped out on the exhaust ( and did it with the motor in the car ) ,
    just take your time and read the instructions 2-3 times before you start and no brewskis till its done .

I tape off the manifold with painters tape then drill , blow out chips , tap ,blow out and vacuum the chips , insert thread coil ( it goes in dry ! NO THREAD LOCKER!!! ) , snap the tang off with a screw driver or needle nose pliers and then insert stud dry and hand tighten only , the nut will clamp and hold the carb down , I never drill past the hole depth in the manfold , no need to create a potential vacuum leak . ( which I have chased down several on used manifolds that were repaired and drill thru and a different carb was used and exposed the hole )

Just Gary likes this.
  12. stimpy

stimpy

most places around me charge by 1 hour flat rate plus materials , and thats often $ 75-100 for the labor and $ 5-10 a insert . if they will do it . the machine shop down the street has a $250 minimum .

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ship me the manifold and I will do it for free . Shipping will cost about a $100.00.
    Get a kit and do it yourself. Come on Man ! Shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes.

vtwhead and Just Gary like this.
  15. fuzzface

fuzzface

I'm with Highlander, I prefer E-Z Loc over Heli-coil but both are easy to use.

Here shops have a minimum charge so you would be way ahead $ wise doing it yourself. if shops just charged by time and material, you would be ok but most have a minimum charge now that puts those small easy quicky jobs out of the price market.

if you insist on someone else doing it then stay away from regular car dealerships and garages but look for a small engine guy in your neighborhood or your neighborhood backyard car guy . the small engine guy time rate will be cheaper and most likely won't have a minimum charge and your neighborhood car enthusiast might do it just for bringing a few beers over.

Buy the kit and you should be able to find someone close to you that can do it for you cheaper than a full staff state of the arts garage, think of retired mechanix in your area, car club in your area, grease monkey down the street or even maybe the local scrapper( they are good at rebuilding junk) could do it for you a lot cheaper.

'51 Norm likes this.
  16. Dude, you're 20 years old. You have a lifetime of screwed up things to fix.

This is one of those small little repairs you should do. There's great advise above about catching the chips. That's all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U and clunker like this.
  17. butch27

butch27

Go for it. You can do it.

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I.m with everybody else here. Man up. Do it yourself, Whichever insert you use you will be fine and build confidence in yourself. There is way to little of do it yourself today. And you will have the kit and skill for the rest of your life.

19. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

You, being 20 years old, will have the electronic-internet-gadget experience to research how to do this simple job. No hand blisters will occur.

belair likes this.
  20. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Just fixed a exhaust port tapped hole on a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads with a helicoil for a young fella a couple months ago. With him doing the actual labor, I walked/showed him how to do it.

His words when finished were "Hell....that was easy"

Blues4U likes this.
  21. gas & guns

gas & guns

Most of the kits have extra inserts. Find a junk lawnmower engine and do a couple practice holes. It's not hard to do. Just keep the tap straight with the hole.

I could drink 12 beers and do it. Might drill out the wrong hole, but it would be a nice job.

bundybiker likes this.
  22. 61Chevy454

61Chevy454

Haha, everyone thinks I've never turned a wrench lol. I certainly had, I just desperately need my truck to be in tip top shape before I leave Missoula, and I know a professional will do it right. I might not.
    I also don't have a shop vac, nor a garage to do it in. Lets say I did do it, my carb holes are blind holes. If I make sure not to drill too far, can I skip the shop vac part and get away with a can of compressed air?

Also, what size helicoil do I need to buy?

23. 5/16" national course. Don't drill too deep...stuff a rag down the carb hole and carefull remove it when you're done. You dont want any shavings going down. Be careful and you'll do fine.

Andy likes this.
  24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

61Chevy454: I understand you just want the problem to go away.
    If you live in south FL, bring it to my house and I'll
    do it for free. You just buy the kit. There is probably a HAMBurger
    near you who can lend a hand.

25. Good thing about your repair is that it's right out in the open. Much easier than an exhaust manifold or water pump bolt.

Yeah, just tape over the opening and blow out the shavings when you're done. No need to over think it.

As for size, I believe there's a chart for that on the package.

26. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Watch a couple of utube videos on it.

craig b blue likes this.
  27. chopped

chopped

Feeling like I'm getting some Onion with my hamb.

28. mohead1

mohead1

Do it urself...not that hard

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

29. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i had to do one in a turbo 350. cost me about $15 and i did it without removing the trans.

30. This is one of the perfect jobs where buying the tool and doing it yourself is still probably cheaper than paying to have it done. Win Win!