Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by metaldave, Jun 14, 2017.

1. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

I am building a car with a 32 frame and a flathead engine. I am using a 32 style tank with fuel pickup coming out of the top of the tank. I bought a Facet fuel pump and mounted it as low as I could. Will this work? they say the pump requires gravity feed. I would like to hear what others have done. I burned up the pump trying to get fuel to the carb. Do these pumps need to be primed? Should I try a different brand pump? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Legendlives

Legendlives

You should ideally mount the pump below the lowest point of the fuel tank. It's irrelevant whether the feed line comes from the top of the tank or the bottom, once you have fuel filling all of the hoses it should self-prime after that. Which facet pump is it? The small square ones are a bit useless but I've never had problems with the cylindrical ones.

3. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

Thank you for your reply. Can you suggest how I should mount the pump to get it that low? It is now mounted in the lowest part of the frame just in front of the kick up. Should I hang it below the frame? I am worried it could be damaged there. Dave Miller

4. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

5. Legendlives

Legendlives

I agree you don't want to hang it below the frame. Where is it in relation to the fuel tank (height-wise)?

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Please install a pressure cutout switch in the wiring to the pump , no oil pressure no pump operation , it could save your life oneday .

7. stimpy

stimpy

some of them ( facets ) will not pull suction over a high head ( lift) unless you prime it first , and if the end is not open to bleed off the air it will take forever to get it to self prime ( even a filter can stop it ) they make some models that can pull high lift . you can go to there web site http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php
    and read what the lift height is . any level or up angled horizontal length before the pump should be considered as being verticle ,
    I have one on a tractor that pulls 1' up and 6" sideways then drops down below the tank 3-4" to the pump and it took a little coaxing ( put light air pressure on the tank by using a rag and shot of air from a blow gun in the filler hole ) the first time I fired it up and you have also keep the discharge end pointed up to act as a check valve to prevent it from siphoning back..
    I use the facet posiflow 60300 as its low pressure pump ( 2-3 pounds )