Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Inner Tube Install on Riveted Wheels " Protective Tape"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Jun 13, 2017.

1. I have one of those Early GM Steel Wheels that are Riveted Vs Welded and have tendency to leak.

I bought an inner tube to cure the problem

Question - To protect the inner tube from damage I was told to wrap (2-3 layers) the inner wheel area with tape. What tape did you use?

* Coker Tire told me to use - "Wonder Tape" by Shurtape
    * My Mechanic told me to use - Electrical Tape
    * All I spoke with said - Do Not use Duct Tape

2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

tyre flap is what you need

loudbang likes this.
  3. 1) What is TYRE FLAP ?
    2) I have 15" rim and was told by Coker they only sell Rim Strip for taller rims and motorcycle rims - I was told to use Wonder Tape and also told some guys cut their old inner tubes and use that cut off piece as protective area for new inner tube install

4. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

A flap. Whoever sells the tubes should have flaps. Basically the same as the cut old inner tube idea but new and thicker.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Running with black electrician's tape inside my truck's wheels for the past 12 years. Flap would be better but couldn't seem to find them back then for 15 inch wheels.

Attached Files:

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Wondering how you found Chevrolet wheels that leak air. I've run them tubeless for 50 years & have yet to see this. Rim strips are for wire or wooden wheels, and not needed on any passenger type wheel made since the advent of riveted wheels. Got some other wheels ?

7. Back in the 70's and wire wheels were popular I had a set of Buick Skylark wires,I protected the tube from coming in contact with the nipples on the spokes with regular ordinary DUCT TAPE. HRP

jnaki likes this.
  8. duct tape or gorilla tape.

9. stimpy

stimpy

Dayton wire rim used to sell them for their rims , replaced many of them from tire installers who never did a tube tire before and ripped the snot out of them with the bar taking the tire off on a old coates machine ( and screwing up the rims truing in the process ) I hated them things ( wires ) with a passion . also check a truck tire shop as many lowboys use a tube style tire in small diameters and possibly can order you some , we used to call them boots ..

10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Bicycle tubes. cut off valve..Or several coats of clear,do away with tube.I learned this on here. I had a set of Old American mags the leaked bad.Several on here told me to put several coats of clear. worked great..Good luck

clem likes this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Lots of the old two and three piece truck rims take a flap like that. Like was said, truck tire dealer would be a good start.

12. Budget36

Budget36

loudbang likes this.
  13. Gabby

Gabby

I wondered if peel and seal roofing material would work . Cut strips to fit and pre heat the area and they would stick pretty good.

14. stimpy

stimpy

one thing you have to worry about is balance, try to keep any other materials to a minimum .

15. why did they say not to use duct tape? i have been doing it for 30+ years and never had a tube rubbed through.

16. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I use plastisol coating on spokes or badly pitted wheels. You can build to any thickness and never had a leak yet. When it first came out everyone was dipping tool handles in it for cushioned feel and less slippery than bare steel. I think the "Flex Seal" stuff they advertise on TV is probably just plain old plastisol.

17. clem

clem

Can't see why an old tube cut up minus valve, wouldn't work.
    Done this on motor bikes several times.
    Or
    You can buy special sealant for tubeless tyres, works great.