Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How to quick start a 53 Chevy with a 12 volt battery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Toqwik

Toqwik

Hello all! Been gone for a while. Life change, job change, etc but now it's time to get back to building. I just picked up a 53 Bel Air from the original owners family. Nice car except for the bottom half foot. Definately will need some floor work. Anyway, it has not ran in years and there is no battery. I know the starter can handle 12volts and I have a 12 volt coil I was going to wire straight to the jumper cables. Can the points and condenser handle 12 volts or should I use a resistor. If so where should I wire it? I want to fire it up and see if it will run and drive before I decide what direction I am going with it. Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. F&J

F&J

Points and condenser does not care if 6 or 12

You will need a resistor for the coil, unless it is internally resisted type...or the point arm can get cooked if you leave the power on, while fiddling with things trying to sort it out

But if I was doing this start, I'd bypass everything electrical. Run 12 only to crank it, and jumper wire to coil, but unhook the original power wire to the coil, so it can't backfeed to the electrical system,

Unhook any acc'y power feeds at starter etc

3. oldolds

oldolds

Disconnect the charging system. (in case anything is good there). The points and condenser can handle it for quite some time. Depends on the coil if you need the resistor. Even without it the coil will last a long time. I would not drive across country like that, but for around the block to see if it moves and shifts it will be fine.

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i used 12 volt points and cond. on one along time ago. no resistor. be sure gauges are not hooked up or lights. will burn out fuel gauge and lights.

5. F&J

F&J

Forgot your question on where to put resistor. It would be on the power wire going to the coil, not the wire that goes from coil to dist

6. Are you just wanting to jump start the car, or are you talking about a 12 volt conversion?
    If jump starting, turn everything off, keep the doors closed, keep foot off the brake, so you don't pop bulbs.
    I did cook a dash gauge, way back when, starting with a 12 volt jumper.
    Are you going to change oil first, before the attempted start up ?
    What about the fuel?

7. Toqwik

Toqwik

Where should I disconnect the charging system from? This car was a daily driver until the battery was stolen years ago and has sat since. Turns over by hand.

8. Toqwik

Toqwik

I want to start it to see if the motor and trans are good. If so I will put a 6volt battery in it and move on to bodywork. I just want to start and drive it around the block to see if all is good. I will just put some gas in a soda bottle and disconnect the entire fuel system.

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

My god ... just put a 6 volt battery in it & jump it with 12 ....

firstinsteele likes this.
  10. Toqwik

Toqwik

I bought a 6v battery and wish I wouldn't. Sorting out assorted issues, I spend more time waiting for the battery to charge back up than actually working on it. Can I safely jump it with a 12 volt and if so how?

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

To be in the safe side remove the power wire from the coil and jumper it to 12v so you can leave the key switch off the starter button should work for short times you will be OK. About the only down side after a longer time you will fry the points.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Jumped lots old 6 volt chevies and volkswagon's with 12 volts. No long term problems. It just turns over faster.

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if you start with jumpers, i start a ford by clamping red (pos) wire to starter side of solenoid. touch black (neg) to block and you should be in business. works on my ford, should work on a chev.

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Push start the engine. Stick or Powerglide cars can be push started.