Register now to get rid of these ads!

making a shortbed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by f100kid, Aug 17, 2009.

1. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

I have a 1965 ford f100 longbed. We talked to aman from no limit who is opening his own shop how much it would be to make it a shortbed. for around 1600$ he will cut make the shortbed, replace the front of the bed shorten the frame, make an extra cross member, box the frame and shorten the brake lines and drive train. to you guys does this sound like a reasonable price to do all this work?:confused:

2. the lights

the lights

yes I did it to mine still not done its alot of work sounds like a fair price.

3. Those trucks are so damned worthless you should be able to buy three complete running shortbed trucks for $1600 and have $100 left over, unless they have truck demo derbies there. Then you'd only be able to buy one or two.

4. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

when you find three cancer free ,running, shortbed 1965 ford f100's for 500 a pop you can tell me where and i will go get them. till then im going to stick with making my 300 dollar running f100 into my a shortbed.

5. Obviously you found one that runs for even less than $500, what does that tell you?

When I researched prices on these I couldn't see any difference in body style, being 4x4 or not, anything - they're just worthless old Ford trucks. You just have to look a little more.

I ignore them for the most part, they're not worth the trouble to try to sell unless they look showroom fresh. Even then I saw damn near show-ready trucks for under $1000.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn my eyes...I thought we were gonna make shortbread...........:D........... Good luck with your Ford, f100kid. One thought comes to mind...other than smart-axx remarks...Be sure the guy knows what he's doing. A super-low quote can be great...until you see and drive the finished product, if it ever gets finished, and then understand the low $. Take a look at some of his other work. Maybe you did already. Just concerned that you get good results for your $. Rick

7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Here ya go.....
    Shortbread

1 cup sugar (granulated)
    2 cups corn starch
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 pinch salt
    1 lb. butter, at room temperature
    1 Tablespoon sugar (granulated)

Add sugar, corn starch, flour and salt to a large mixing bowl.
    Cut butter into tablespoon sized pieces and add to the bowl
    Using a spoon or your hands, mix the butter into the dry ingredients
    When the butter is fully integrated, the mix will be sand-like in texture. It will not form a ‘dough’. Pour the mixture into a half-sheet pan (18″ x 12″ x 1″), spreading evenly in the pan. Use your hands to firmly press down on the dough, pushing the fine mixture into an even mass.
    Using a fork, prick the cookies about 1″ apart across the entire top.
    Bake for 40 minutes at 325F, then reduce heat to 300F and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around edges and across the center.
    Remove from oven and sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon sugar. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting with a sharp knife. Let cookies continue to cool before removing (if you can resist).

Huh? You said ShortBED?.... never mind.....Emily Latilla.

willys36 likes this.
  8. 61bone

61bone

I built a 5' box Chevy crew cab an it wound up over 4000 to shorten the box and frame

9. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

I had a buddy working on mine, told him I wanted to make mine a short bed, he took a little to much out.....oh well.......LOL

Picture 313.jpg

10. skullhat

skullhat

i thinks hes saying you just might find a done one for way less than the 1600 youre willing to spend...... thats what i'd do

the price for the work seems fair, but as mentioned you may run into problems with a new guy opening a shop (read threads here)

id go the easy route

skull

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chaz...Hahahahaha...thanks...cool site, shop, stuff! Love the Plymouth coupe. Rick Sorry to hijack, f100kid.

12. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

if it were me i would save my money and buy a shortbed for cheaper than 1600 and put my leftover money into that truck, sell your longbed for parts money too

the price does seem good but you can still get away with less money and less work

13. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

I took 20 inches out of my 61 Chevy a few months back to convert it to the proper shortbed dimensions. It wasnt that difficult. I did all of the cutting and had a friend weld it up on a saturday morning. If you are up to it, I would consider doing it yourself. You wouldnt have $500.00 in the whole thing including driveshaft, brakes, welding, etc.

Go for it...you can do it!!:)

14. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

ive seen the 1964 that the guy did and it looks great. he used to work for no limit fabricating frame and body parts.

15. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

to be honest we were really serious about doing it in our garage but then came in some factors . first nor me or my dad can weld (good enough)
    we have no experience with body work. plus we want to have an expert do this kind of thing. (my mom will be driving it so it has to work) now when were lowereing it, or body work, or the engine im all for it but i wont mess with the frame.:cool:

16. There's an episode of 'Trucks' (Spike TV show) Where they do that to a 65-ish Chevy pickup. Maybe you wanna spend the $20 on a DVD copy to see what's involved. Shortbeds are kinda hard to come by where I am, but I have to agree with the consensus here, and I think when you're done, the cost/benefit will be out of whack.

17. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Hey it is YOUR Truck, If you like it the way it is and just want it to be shorter, Just do it. There are so many things to consider. Finding another truck. Fix brakes on it. Fix engine on it. Paint, Electrical, Etc. It is your call.
    One thing I learned a long time ago is the words you use when you have a job done.
    For example I had this done once.
    First time I walked into a welding shop and said can you shorten the frame for me. He said " OH OK I WILL DESIGN IT FOR YOU" 1800.00
    Then I went into another Welding shop and said. I want you to cut it right here take out 12", weld it back together and put a plate in the inside of it. I removed the box so he could get right to it. "HE SAID 250.00"
    But I removed the box and cut it myself, Did the driveshaft and repaired the brakes myself. I paid myself 1550.00

18. 100% Matt

100% Matt

At one point I thought about makin my 58 f100 a short bed. I was gonna "bob" about 10inches off the bed and frame. Then I picked up a complete 59 short bed truck with the idea of combining both trucks. At the end of the day I stuck with the long bed and I have no regrets. The extra 1.5ft of bed really comes in handy.

$1,600 is a lot of money to put into a vehicle that really doesnt have a high "sell value".

19. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Sell your bed and buy a shortbed that somebody made into a trailor. Now, half the work is done. Hire out the rest if you can't do it!

20. kraka138

kraka138

is there really anything wrong with a long bed.....ive always preferred long beds......does that make me weird

283john likes this.
  21. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

theres nothing wrong with a longbed. my 69 f100 is a longbed and i love it. its lowered and my mom says it looks like a big ass boat. I still like it though. were getting a shortbed made cause thats what my mom wants and plus my dad would like one that doesnt look like a "worktruck". if it was up to me i would leave it a long bed. :cool:

22. JOSEPH YOUNG

JOSEPH YOUNG

what have you been smokin buddy?

23. I will take a dozen of those $1000 show room ready f100s

just looked at the date
    I still stand by my statement

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Get it in writing and put a time limit for completion.
    Repost when it is done.
    I actually don't believe all that work could be that simple and that cheap.
    Find a suitable swap box and do the rest of the work while the original box is off...

25. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

[​IMG] I did my 60 with the help of my dad and some factory short box measurements. The truck was a stock short box, but had a step side. It hasn't gotten much further than this due to buying another truck, a house and getting married.
    You could make the cuts and get a friend who can weld to come fix you up.