Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1949 Mercury project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1949 mercury, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Nice Merc. That's what I started wondering about. Mine looks a little forward but so do some of the Merc I referred back to. Also I want to lower it a bit more in the rear. Will just get some blocks not sure what size yet. Already have 4" lower springs.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. Jamie B

Jamie B

love this project

1949 mercury likes this.
  3. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

I advice against 4"blocks , OK OK settle down hecklers , I know 4" blocks are one of the basic recipes in customizing and possibly a quickfix to get the rear down but I see it as a device that can be removed and get back to stock suspension and customizing at its best in non reversible , also it leaves the bottom of the spring too close to the ground and in my opinion 4" is not enough to get down to the wheel rim edge lined up with the rocker level which I think is a perfect level for the rear suspension .... I think a close to straightened leafspring and possibly a 1-2" block will get there and give a more stable side to side strength for the rear suspension . This causes the rear axle to hit the frame that needs to be C-ed and driveshaft to hit the floor , the tunnel needs to be moved upwards which causes the rear seat not to sit right at the floorboard , you simply open a can of worms but to get there to that ride height it needs to be done and still maintain a semi decent ride quality . I don't know if you want to building a full blown traditional custom but that's what I want to build so I try to use stuff that was available back then and minimize the new stuff , still I use hijackers , something they didn't have in the early fifties , its my small detachable deviation from the era that makes the car usable to load stuff in the trunk and negotiate uneven ground .
    Wolf

1949 mercury likes this.
  4. I like the look also with the fender skirt at the bottom of the rim. I have 49 skirts so it's going to show more rim then 51 skirts. I also have 4" lower springs right now from St Louis Spring a little more weight in the car with gas, glass and interior might make it sit a little lower. Maybe just need a 2-3 inch block. I definitely want it a little lower.

5. Good deal, Carpenter sent me a new sending unit no charge.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    brEad and Squablow like this.
  6. Working on my heater core and was wondering what everyone uses for firewall insulators ?

7. [​IMG][​IMG]

I got my inner fenders/Apron back from the powder coater and put on, now I need to put the Anti squeak seal on. They used staples originally, what should I use to put theses on. Self tap screws or some kind of glue adhesive? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Aussiepete. like this.
  8. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and 1949 mercury like this.
  9. Nice car. Those are sweet.

10. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive.The one you also use for putting on the trunklid gasket for example.Clothes pegs to hold the seal in place.Works fine.Hope this helps.

1949 mercury likes this.
  11. [​IMG]
    Heater parts back from powder coat. Interior 80% gloss engine bay 20% gloss and throttle linkage.

Woogeroo, Hubnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. [​IMG]

Does anyone know what this red light is ? This is the first time I have seen it besides my car any help appreciated thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. [​IMG]

Looking for some 49 Mercury parking/blinker housings if anyone has some thx

14. [​IMG][​IMG]

Got my original steering box rebuilt by redhead steering gear. Just got it back yesterday. Need to clean up and put the rest of the column together.

15. Squablow

Squablow

I think that red light comes on when the parking brake is set but i could be wrong, i think my 49 dash just has a hole there.

Those parking light housings are really pricey and hard to find, it'd be worth fixing those rusty ones, or if you do find some good ones, id be interested in buying your rusty ones and ill fix them. Ive got lenses and bezels but no housings at all, i was going to make some.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Yeah the light does come on with the parking break

I'm going to try and fix those up or make a new one. I have them for a template. I can't find those anywhere it seem like there should be some with almost everyone taking them off. Or there so bad that's why people get rid of them.

17. HD DUDE

HD DUDE

Nice work you've got yourself a great 49 with your name all over it.

18. sololobo

sololobo

I am so impressed with this great build. Just love all the ways you have done this icon. Hope you never chop it, the stock top is such a rarity today it makes it stand out from most of the builds. Congrats on getting close to your first drive.

1949 mercury likes this.
  19. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

20. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

1949 mercury, brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Slopok

Slopok

I've acutely won an award for the best chopped top, the judges couldn't find any indication of where it was cut.o_O If you haven't already noticed it isn't chopped at all!:D

Rex Stallion, brEad and 1949 mercury like this.
  22. HD DUDE

HD DUDE

My 50 is chopped and 51 is not. They both get love and admiration in equal doses. But I do find the un molested 51 seems to appeal to the broader community as a whole. I believe yours should never feel the anger of a 5" grinder on an A Pillar. It's just to tight with a solid story to tell as she sits. My 2 cents from down under.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aussiepete. and Zickfrid like this.
  23. cederholm

cederholm

Awesome build!!!

1949 mercury likes this.
  24. Thanks as of right now I am not chopping it. I really am working on just getting it put together for now so I have a running driving project. It's getting closer.

25. Zickfrid

Zickfrid
    from Russia

50th merc looks cool ,but both looks epic

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя H.A.M.B.

26. I love an unchopped Merc as much or more than a chopped one. Looking good!

27. Squablow

Squablow

Gettin' there!

1949 mercury likes this.
  28. Thanks. Really liking the unchopped look right now. My thoughts Change all the time though haha.

Yes, it's getting closer. I Just keep plugging away at it.