Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historically correct paint colors for a 1920s Ford dealership

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scramboleer, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Scramboleer

Scramboleer

Hi all,

A friend of mine is a Ford dealer and looking to repaint his dealership (original building is 1920s) in 1920s paint using historically accurate colors. His contacts at Ford HQ have gotten no answers and what few pictures there are black-and-white. I thought someone on here might know what colors were used...

Thanks in advance.

2. I have that information somewhere...and that's the problem. I think orange was involved.

DFH-GMC likes this.
  3. SR100

SR100

Search Books.Google.com for 1920-23 issues of Motor, Automotive Industries, American Garage and Auto Dealer, etc. Most issues have a feature article on a dealer they believe has implemented ideas which other dealers should emulate. The photos are in B/W, but the text often has construction details. (I'm not sure what the Ford dealer magazine was called in this period, but it is your best bet for any Ford mandatory colors/signage.) I haven't read any issues, but Google Books also has Ford Car Trade Journal, a dealer magazine published independent from Ford.
    One thing to note about B/W photos from the 1920s: they weren't panchromatic (all colors, like our eye sees). Reds often appear black, and blues wash out.

4. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Don't have a clue as to what colors the outside or the showroom would be but I do remember what the service department have been. The dealer my old man worked at from the early 50's to the 80's the colors were based on the colors of the packages/boxes parts were in. Maroon/cream colors from the 50's up until Ford changed the box colors to blue/cream colors later on. Don't know what they would have been in the 20's.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Was the 1920's building a Ford dealership in the 1920's? If so, perhaps there's a remnant of original paint under the coats of paint. Also, the local historical society may have old pictures of the building. Even in black and white, you may at least get a sense of whether it was light colored ( Tan) or dark ( Ford Blue).

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This is very interesting to me. I love automobile history. Glad this came up. Will be watching.

7. If I had to guess I'd say this is a local building answer. Back then there were no such things as franchises yet to dictate color and design. No McDonald's, no Pizza Hut and the dealer contracts were probably just a page or two long. The same was true for gas stations, etc. back in those days.

Your friend is going to have to look for clues in and on the building itself. But duplicating the style of the graphics originally used should be what really sets the tone for the project. All the answers so far are good, helpful ideas.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

There should be artists renderings or colorized pictures,
    Architectural magazines or post cards?

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  10. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

Didn't Henry say any color as long as it's black?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

CapeCodBob likes this.
  11. VonWegener

VonWegener

In the 1920s in California everyone was smitten with the faux Italian Villa from Tuscany look. They called it mediterranean style. So look for a warm ivory/beige plaster maybe with a little orange tint and a red tile roof. Can't go wrong.

12. Still haven't located my colour specs, but I do recall what I have is for workshops, the service areas, not show rooms.

Dealership colours in the 20's? I don't know that Ford spec'd out standardised dealership schemes in those days at all.

13. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

From the pictures I've seen, they seem to be mostly black, white, and shades of gray.
    Sorry I just couldn't help myself!
    KK

TagMan likes this.
  14. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Have your asked this question on ford barn? Probably have better luck over there being those guys are usually older restorer type fellers.

16. my un-scientific research says they were all black and white
    colors didn't show up until just before WW2
    ford dealership.jpg

17. we have an old ford dealership in ruins here locally
    its all brick inside and out and used to have an old Ford oval painted on it
    I was under the impression each dealership used colors they wanted, or that they were not under obligation from Ford to use a particular scheme.
    almost every old building I have ever been in or messed with had some shade of green for some reason on the walls
    I would look for period building pictures and not just Ford dealerships
    also I would carefully look at the colors currently on the building. look at a chip of paint from it under a microscope

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I would call Bob Drake and ask him. He has an extensive early Ford dealer automobilia and parts collection and has been studying everything Ford for years.