Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Teeth on sb Ford bendix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ugliefrance, Jun 12, 2017.

1. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

Hi I have a 302 sb Ford with a C6 behind it. Of unknown year or car. Probably be a bitza. Counted the teeth on the flex plate which came up with 168. Starter that came with it was a E25F-11131-AA.Have tried 3 different 9 tooth starters. All sound like a dinosaur screwing a cat.
    Any idea what a 168 flex plate would have come off?
    Could I use a 10 tooth starter of a bbf ?
    Don't really want to pull the motor and change the flex plate.
    Cheers Nick

2. squirrel

squirrel

164 teeth seems to be more common on Fords? 168 is what you'd find on a Chevy

3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

What starter are you using? Ford used different starters for automatic and standard transmissions. The standard trans starter had a shorter nose than the automatic. The most popular starter for the automatic was a Lester number 3124 or 3153 check that first. If you have the correct starter and the flywheel teeth look good you could try the 10 tooth. Ford #SD327 or aftermarket #4-353 or 3-353.
    I have had customers request that we install this drive to cure the problem you are having.

4. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

The starter that came with it was a Lester 17 part no E25F-11131-AA. But both lugs that bolt it to the box where broken. I took the starter off my car. Same starter with 9 teeth and a 164 flex plate, but it sounded horrible. So counted the teeth and came up with 168. The internet said sbc, Jeggs or bb Ford. It also said the bbf came with a 10 tooth starter. Which is why I was sort of going in that direction. Teeth are clean on the flex plate. Thanks for your help. Nick

squirrel likes this.

5. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Also, make sure you have the index plate between the motor and the bellhousing. That works as a shim for the starter. Very important. I've only heard of 157 and 164 small block flywheels so I'm not sure about the 168.

6. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

I thought about that. As the index plate was thinner than the one one mine. So I spaced it out and that made no difference. 148 teeth also. There was a good site called Ford flywheels and flex plates. but it didn't solve the problem. So the knowledge of the HAMB was needed. If I could find year/model with 168. I would buy one.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I'd be tempted to take stuff apart and see what you have. It's a pain, but it also doesn't cost anything, and you don't have to wait for the wrong parts to arrive from across the pond.