Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. My plans are to get it running and make it safe and drive the piss out of it, ha!
    It has been sitting a REALY long time. The engine is soaking in MMO currently as it is a little stuck. There is some movement however so I don't want to take it apart just yet. The carbs are really rough so I will need to go through those. There is no gas tank currently. It was originally in the floor of the rumble seat area but he took it out to make another with some foot room underneath for his friends and it is long gone. I have a brand new oval "T" tank I may put into service for now.

I need to fill and bleed the brake system and check it out. The hoses look ok but I may replace them for safety purposes?

I don't plan on changing anything other than another set of wheels with some new tires as close to what's on it as I can find. Just for driving purposes of course! The originals will be retained for shows.

It also had a tonneau cover that snapped over the whole cockpit at one time. It didn't fit anymore after he changed steering column and to the Impala wheel so he tossed it. My wife is pretty good with the sewing machine so we will try to recreate that.

He also had plans for a top (white) which is on the extended list as well.

Thanks for asking!

Haha! Yeah what he said!

Thanks man, now I'm part of the awesome club like you!

Thanks man the tool board was a must for the new shop!

I'm hoping someone will unearth something! I'm not sure of Tom's age or how long he's been taking pics but it wasn't out very long?!

Thanks Dale! I've followed your journey with great interest and never thought I'd get a chance at anything like this!

Nice! Ask them if they know Lanny Mong!

I ain't scurred!! :D

Hombre and Tim like this.
  2. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Really like the car, LOVE the back story-------AND NNOWWWW ------Comes the dilemma --------How much of the "time capsule" do you preserve? And as for that matter, how long do you preserve it? After a couple of years, when all the locals have seen the car and all know the story-----then what? Enjoy your new ride, seems like a hell of a deal. Bill

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would leave it like it is, period. It's an example of true hotrodding other than the small magazines from that time period. It will draw the largest crowds at any car show hands down.

4. It will remain as it was built for sure!

Hombre, volvobrynk, Pops1532 and 4 others like this.
  5. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

DAMN cactus1!!!! Good for you!!!! Looks like you're adding to that stable of cool hot rods, vintage race cars, and awesome old iron!!! First.....you need to take care of that awesome lady you're married to.....that supported you buying this awesome piece of hot rodding history!!!! What a time capsule!!!! Second......time to start thinking about expanding the size of that two car garage.......you're gonna need it!!! Great score!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Woogeroo and brad2v like this.
  6. Thanks @Daddy_O! She is an amazing lady for sure!! And yes I am officially out of room, haha!

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse but I put in a request on the photoshop thread for a top and @themoose came through with the goods! Thanks again!
    image.jpeg

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Make sure your paying attention when you flush those brake lines out. I'd think about 50 some years there would be some rust inside them.

Was it stored dry?

wingnutz likes this.
  8. So Cool!

The car itself is really awesome, but the story and history,
    That puts it in a whole other class.

I hope you drove Patience over when you went to look at it,
    That would have told the guy you were the right person to own his
    hot rod.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Hombre, kiwijeff and brad2v like this.
  9. That is beyond cool!!!

cactus1 likes this.
  10. brad2v

brad2v

Spectacular! And, clearly in the right hands. What a wonderful example of what an early 60's hot rod REALLY looked like, note, no big goofy headlights. Good for you. Just a side note regarding the alternator, Chrysler introduced it in 1960.

Denns1989 and Sancho like this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

This is going to be Great (it is already)! Please keep us updated and don't forget to hug your wife.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Denns1989 and cactus1 like this.
  12. Thanks all!!

Thanks Kelly! I did not take the truck though I did show them pics and they seemed to like it. As we were talking the first day I went over, he mentioned a friend of his that had a '29 Chevrolet sedan that he'd been working on finishing the interior in. I was like "wait a minute, are you talking about Len?" His and is wife's jaws dropped and they said "you know Len???" I told them how I had met him years ago at a show because he liked the truck so much and we had the only two early Chevys there. They have known Len since High School back in Salina! Crazy!

Thanks man! Yes! It is the real deal, not our interpretation of what it would have looked like. It's quirky. It's kooky. It's not "perfect" probably to some people's eyes but it's PERFECT in mine!

Hombre, kiwijeff, Tim and 3 others like this.
  13. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

Take a page from my upside down notebook and change the brake hoses!!! Also just plan on changing/rebuilding the wheel and master cylinders. Rather not see you and Emily end up where I did.......

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely, don't take chances on things as important as brakes! Save some money on the aesthetics, not safety related items

15. Cactus, Any chance you can have this at the Salina KKOA show this year? We all would love to see it there...

brEad and big duece like this.
  16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Yes, that would "make the show" for some locals here.

17. Yes we do not want that Chris! Those pics are imprinted on my brain!

I agree 100%! My first goal is to make it roadworthy and safe!

I wish I could say yes but I am fairly certain that that is not going to happen unfortunately. At least not in a running/driving state and I don't own a trailer to tow it. Next year hopefully?!

Here is some of what I have found thus far...
    Some crusty valves of which a couple will not free up.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The valley looks good though!
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

18. As does under the rocker covers (tops anyway...)

IMG_2807.JPG
    Oh and here is the info on the alternator if anyone cares to decode it for me?
    IMG_2808.JPG

19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Oh, come on. You have a month and a half!:D

cactus1 likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A roadster in a show held inside an oven. He's probably not rushing on that one lol

brEad and cactus1 like this.
  21. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I checked the old '58, '59 and '61 Salina High School yearbooks in case the car showed up in them; no luck but here's what downtown looked like when it cruised there in 1959 - note the '52 Ford with the '46 Olds grille in the background:
    saks59-03.jpg

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Did you go to high school in Salina? My father graduated in '61 At Salina High. That theater is still there, and has class act music concerts all the time. Saw ZZ Top there last summer.

Hotdoggin DaddyO, cactus1 and Bam.inc like this.
  23. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

No, but I'm a member at that site with all the old yearbooks (it tends to be a spam and popup generator as well); I get a lot of rare stuff for the Vintage Shots thread there.

cactus1 likes this.
  24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Original owner Lanny Mong was a '58 graduate of Salina High.

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  25. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Pretty cool car.
    I was in KC May 20, saw it on Craigslist & went on Sunday to look at it in person. Just too many irons in the fire to get it goin again (for me). But you sure scored it!
    I'm glad it will remain local & hope you bring it to Salina KKOA in a couple years.303 olds was in it, did you get 371 Olds too?
    Owner real nice & it's real cool he can give a complete & thorough history. What a time capsule.
    20170521_142058.jpg 20170521_142511.jpg 20170521_142549.jpg

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Are those coupe doors, with the hinge below the belt line added? After looking I believe its a roadster. The bottom hinge is like that of other roadsters. The coupe doors' lower hinge is a bit higher.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  27. doug warren

doug warren

Wait till he tells you how great it runs and got it for $150.00

cactus1 likes this.
  28. doug warren

doug warren

So cool, glad it worked out for you,that thing has to be loud as hell are there at least baffles in those headers? Oh well good for you and your wifes a keeper if you haven't figured that out yet.lol.

29. doug warren

doug warren

I love the story and all the old school but tell me that that draglink under the funnel in this photo isnt a chunk of copper tubing or are my eyes playing tricks on me.If so I dont need to tell you what you need to do. OK better safe. LOve the car and the story and happy for you. so cool.

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Pretty sure that's dirt/dust and rust. Can't image it would have even made it onto the trailer with a copper pipe drag link

cactus1 and tb33anda3rd like this.