Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lettering paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryanyeskie, Jun 11, 2017.

1. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

So my wife is a great letter-Er when it comes to paper painting so I was thinking of buying her some one shot paint. She wants to make signs wood metal ect (want her to do my truck also)

Anyone use this stuff and what do you think? Reviews say it's good stuff but want to hear from people who actually use it

2. Rick S

Rick S

Sign painters have been using One Shot since the late 40's, great stuff. Get lettering enamel, thinner and the correct brushes and tell her to start practicing. Lots of info out there that will help her get started. Good Luck!

lurker mick and loudbang like this.
  3. fuzzface

fuzzface

My sister does all our lettering and quite a few other people that still like the paint versus the decals like the stock car racers and that is all she uses is one shot and has been doing it since the 70's

olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  4. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

5. A Minus

A Minus

Can't beat one shot as or product and the people at the company are top notch. I highly recommend one shot

loudbang likes this.
  6. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Yes, One shot is very good. You can mix colors, thin w/ mineral spirits, etc. Good Luck.

loudbang likes this.
  7. caton462

caton462

I like One Shot. Glass is good to practice on, scrape it off and paint it again.

loudbang likes this.
  8. I sold one shot sign paint since the mid 60's and it's been around since 1948/9 and is a staple with the sign writers & pinstripers.

It's formulated to flow out and dries fast ,although you can add products to increase drying or slow it down.

A grease or Stabilo pencil is ideal for drawing you pattern on glass,metal or wood and a assortment of lettering quills are a must for smooth long strokes,especially when lettering.

Some one shot,some enamel thinner and add time for practicing and your golden.

A old piece of glass or a old hood makes a ideal practice surface. HRP

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  9. Packardkid

Packardkid

The shop pinstriper uses one shot with great results. The stuff does seem a bit finicky to me oiling brushes etc. if you PM me I can put you guys in touch and get you on the right track.

loudbang likes this.
  10. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

thanks guys for the replays I'll most likely get her a few brushes and a few colors to start with let her do her thing. One more question do you need to thin it down or use hardener or will it still dry with out it?

11. Packardkid

Packardkid

Don't need to thin it and it dries pretty quickly and it's very humid here in Florida.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

One Shot is the gold standard. Period.

Deuces, Blue One and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  13. A Minus

A Minus

The only time I put hardner in is if I am going to clear coat over it then I put the hardner for that particular clear in the one shot. I hate doing that and don't do it often i have ruined a brush or two not getting all the hardner out when I cleaned the brush. My own fault but I hate the thought

14. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Thank you thank you thank you^^^.

loudbang likes this.
  15. rhtfo

rhtfo

One shot makes what they market as enhancers. Depending on outside temp or humidity in your area, they can make the paint flow from the brush easier. I wouldn't spend the money on em til ya get good at pulling lines. Practice with the paint right from the can, then try it with a little mineral spirits mixed in. I would not recommend synthetic brushes to start with. Have fun, there are a lot of things you can do with One Shot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  16. Rick S

Rick S

Now that you know what kind of paint to use, here's a couple more things you'll need to know. Getting the paint thinned correctly so it flows out nicely will take some practice. Also, using the correct brushes for hand lettering will go a long way in being successful. Read as much as you can, or buy some books on hand lettering. I would suggest you do this before you buy any brushes (since they are rather expensive). Dick Blick and https://letterheadsignsupply.com/ will have everything you need.

loudbang likes this.
  17. I have used 1-Shot for many years and swear by it for everything I do. I've tried urethane based paints (HOK;and others)and found them expensive and hard to work with. I used to like Sherwin-Williams Kem Tone bulletin colors but they haven't been produced in many years.Ronan makes some good lettering paint as well.
    A couple of notes:I find that although mineral spirits(the odorless type)is good for cleaning brushes there are some compatibility issues with the newer formulations of 1-Shot. Regular mineral spirits;aside from smelling horrible does not mix well with 1-Shot. I suppose you could practice using mineral spirits but I wouldn't use it on a paying job. And whatever you do DO NOT use that eco friendly paint thinner;it will NOT work with any type of alklyd based enamels. Trust me on this one!

loudbang and A Minus like this.
  18. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Thanks again guys a lot of information. I've been reading and watching a lot of YouTube videos on how to letter. The rights and wrongs. It's kind of hard to learn for me with out doing a lot of the how to's are right handed people and both my wife and I are left handed. I learn by doing I've made plenty of mistakes along the way but I don't learn well from books not that I won't read and pick up on things. Thanks again for the replays and as always any information about paint and how to is greatly appreciated.

loudbang likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your car has a good hard base paint you can take off OneShot with EZ off oven cleaner and cut off 1/2" paint brush. Of course if it clear coated, well ur up the creek as they say..

20. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

We are clearing our shelves of 1 shot at below dealer cost. I'm also a 30+ year sign painter / pinstriper. Give me a call and and I'll get you set up cheap and get you in the right direction for brushes.

bryanyeskie and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  21. Dave Hawksford

Dave Hawksford

This is my 1st post, I am a conservator of old paintings, gilded objects, porcelain and ceramics. I recently started using one shot paints and the hardner. I put some hardner in a small glass air brush bottle about 1" and left it for a few days open. When I went back to it the hardner was completely hard and totally water clear. My question is, Has anyone used one shot hardner as a clear coat ?

BTW I am restoring a 67 VW bug

22. The Painter 101

The Painter 101

I don't se why ! 1 shot is one of the most stable coatings I've seen . I mix a 50/50 Clear and color for effects and it's bullet proof . It always matches very well so go beat on it . It touches up very well . But would do this too . Stuff is Awesome . lays down like enamel and buffs out like lacquer . Straight hardener . 1 shot I gotta see this.

23. Dave Hawksford

Dave Hawksford

Painter I'm working on a not so old maybe 150 year old vase. That went together very well and touch up went perfect with 1 shot color /hardener . Now I'll give it a shot with straight hardener and buff out if need to. Thanks

24. Many old school sign painters us a product called Penetrol, it aides in the flowing without doing any HRP

anthony myrick likes this.
  25. goldmountain

goldmountain

Years ago, I worked in a neon sign shop and one of my co-workers was an old time lettering guy. When he apprenticed, his mentor told him that he would not teach the trade to someone left-handed because all cursive type strokes favor the right-handed. I worked on the illuminated sign faces that are painted on the back side and since there you work in reverse, I had the advantage, being a lefty.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. We used acrylic to practice at school
    Cheap and easy clean up
    A6169A4C-6400-4ECD-8DA0-C2D59CF20766.jpeg
    One shot is great
    Buy the recommended brushes
    I have used penetrol in oil based paints and the brush strokes flow out nice.