Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Regarding buying a 32 Ford grill insert...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by corndog, Jul 18, 2014.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I don't know exactly but I believe I have 2-3 perfect originals (probably at least 3-4 with some sort of flaws). Over the years I've probably bought and sold at least 40-50 original shells and inserts. When I first started in the early 60's I would pass on any completes priced over $50 because I couldn't resell them and make at least $25. Wish I had held on to a few with the prices and availability today.

kidcampbell71 and gwhite like this.
  2. FWIW, I grabbed a decent shell on ebay after the auction ended without a bid...finding a nice original insert was another story altogether. Seems like they cost as much as I paid and a Dale's insert couldn't be found. Ended up selling the shell and got a mint commercial for $325 (plus seeing @HOTRODPRIMER's commercial grille got me all worked up).

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Drake repops are always excellent quality. Vintique is off shore junk that is very poor quality

4. FlatJan

FlatJan

So what is it what Brookville sells now, Vintique?

5. This is a Vintique stainless insert & shell on my 32. Works for me & the price for both was under 500.
    Course I don't have to have original ford .

Attached Files:

6. 19-c

19-c

who makes Brookville inserts? So-Cal advertises thier inserts as Brookville and made in the US. This whole thing is rather taxing on the mind. If Vintiques are off shore junk at $400 why wouldn't i pay the $169 for the same off shore junk. I have no way of checking fit before I purchase an insert. It looks like some ebay sellers are taking a $169 insert and selling them for $400 claiming "excellent fit" Best made in the market. About 3 yrs ago I purchased one of the $169 inserts it worked great. The next time it was junk and I wouldnt have used it for a pet gate. I guess its a hit and miss.

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If your going to spend 400, just find a nice original.

8. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

OK so Dales is gone so moving on to offshore grills shells

I have a vintique one which I bought a long time ago is ok but not my favorate - very light weight and bars tend to rattle.

I just bought one at back to the 50's from gearhead enterprises and if is far superiour to the vintique one I have. The gearheads ones come from china but quality is good by comparison to my Vintique one. Heavier material and better made.

If you are ok with non USA made then my tip is the talk to gearheads

9. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Well I took HRP's advice and sent an e-mail to Dales to see if they were really out of the grill business. Found out that it is not permanent, just some tooling issues. Was advised by them to check with Obsolete Ford in Oklahoma for an insert. I called there and the first guy I got said they were out of Dales inserts but he would ask Kevin. He is obviously the head dude in charge. Kevin got on the phone and said they thought they were out but he recently found 20 in the warehouse that he didn't know he had. They are the ones with a crank hole and polished stainless bars, but works for me! I ordered one right then and it came today. I purposely waited to post this till I knew for sure that they did have some. So check it out at Obsolete Ford!!! Now they have 19 or less? Forget to add...price is $279

10. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Sounds like a fair deal. Have you tried it in your original shell yet?

11. So where is the picture?

12. Good deal,I know everybody means well but I'm glad you called,I had recently been told there was a tooling problem with Dales and they would be making the insert in the future but didn't want to send out a inferior insert that wasn't up to their standards. HRP

13. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Here is what I was told...the guy who owns the tooling is in negotiations with Dales to sell them the tooling. And someone asked how the insert fit into my original shell. Fit perfectly! Just as I remember my originals fitting. Here is a picture of my original shell with the new Dales insert. I could not be more pleased with it!

Attached Files:

14. Fit's like a glove! :)

[​IMG]

54reno likes this.
  15. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

16. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

Corndog,
    Thanks for posting, I just ordered one for myself after reading this.

17. No way. NOS ?? How much did those cost ?? ! ! My off thread build was upwards of four grand for all of its grille pieces NOS at 40 years old. I can't even imagine the cost of 80 plus year old inserts or even shells for that matter. That's like retirement investment grade mutual fund stuff. Unreal. I am sure they are out there, but they can't be common. This blows me away.

18. snot275

snot275

I LOVE the HAMB right now because of this post. I have been looking for either a good original or a Dale's for a while now. Called up SoCal who had them in stock on their website but received a quick call afterward that they have none and no idea of when they will have any. Called up Obsolete and they had 3 left for about $100 CHEAPER than what SoCal has them listed for (I think it was just under $300? I already forgot)! Bought one, now there's only 2 left boys. Go get 'em!

19. Called today, Obsolete is down to one stainless, w/crank hole, $399.

bchctybob likes this.
  20. Bought mine from deuce factory over 30 yrs ago fit my original shell nicely.

Attached Files:

21. FlatJan

FlatJan

need to dig out this old thread..anybody know if dales inserts are still the old quality mentioned here?
    Or are there equal or better inserts today?

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not sure on the status of Dales but I can tell you if you find one don't balk at the price.
    Had mine for many years, but bought the cheaper one first, not sure of mfg but not only did it not fit my shell but when you strummed your fingers across the teeth, it sounded like a cheap pawn shop guitar, the Dales version fits nicely and sounds like a 1957 Gibson Les Paul.

FlatJan likes this.
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Struck the lottery. I was moving things around in my storage building and discovered a Dales insert that I had the bars powder painted satin black. I think I will be a little more careful how I store that one.

kidcampbell71, hotcoupe and willysguy like this.
  24. I have just talked to Dales, they said they are 6 to 9 months out from their new 32 insert. They have already checked out their prototype and are refining it.

25. FlatJan

FlatJan

ok so thats kinda interesting cause i called a shop today that told me they had dales inserts in stock.
    so this might be not true??

26. What was the name of the shop? I need one, that is why I called Dales.

27. What was the name of the shop with Dales inserts in stock?