Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What's in Your Paint Cabinet? (old paint)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Apr 12, 2017.

1. BJR

BJR

I was looking for some paint yesterday and going through my old paint cabinet I noticed I have some paint I bought in the late 60's. Bet I'm not the only one here that has a cabinet full of 40 and 50 year old paint. I have some gallons also in another cabinet. paint cabinet.jpg paint.jpg Post them up.

Hank37, Bandit Billy and The37Kid like this.
  2. I have quite a bit of paint from the 80's....mostly ppg Delstar enamel. Love the way that stuff flowed out! Wish I could still buy it.
    Sorry no pics, it's all stored away in the attic.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I have a gallon of PPG black epoxy primer, DP 90 IIRC and a gallon of reducer.
    Guessing it's about 30 years old, is it any good?
    PS
    My 67 Nova was painted with that old Delstar in the mid 80's.

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I just have 1 old quart of Dulux left over from my 57 Ford.

But I sure mixed up my share of Lucite and Centari in the 1980's when I worked at a local auto parts store. Then in the 1990's I ended up working at one of DuPonts automotive paint plants.

5. indyjps

indyjps

Been shooting some Hawthorne (now called paint-for-cars) black and clear. Gotta be 15 years old and sat in the freezing garage each year. Budget paint, but fine for what Im doing with it. The clear had separated and I just stirred it back up with a paint whip.

It shoots just fine.

6. That old DP was much better than the current stuff, durability wise. If it is sprayable and you have the correct hardener/activator, use it.
    I sprayed that DP on a '40 Ford(bare metal) years ago, then had to go back and sand blast a couple rusty areas......could barely blast it off it stuck so well.

7. Still have 6 -1 lb glass jars of the real deal Murano pearl, bought from Stan Betz back in the late 70's, early 80's. Just looked @ em last week. Still have the $25 price tag on em.

8. A Minus

A Minus

I am huge RM guy so seeming those old black and yellow labels makes my jaw hit the ground. Some the early deltron stuff takes me back to when I first started out in the jobber business.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Bob Cat can is one of my favorites. Bob DSCF8599.JPG DSCF8598.JPG DSCF8595.JPG DSCF8597.JPG

302GMC, BJR, A Minus and 3 others like this.
  10. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have an old ACME quart that is pretty cool. I haven't seen that brand in years. Don't know if that company is still around or not.

11. A Minus

A Minus

The37Kid likes this.
  12. I have a gallon of Martin Senour Classic cream laquer and an unused gallon (thankfully) of 80's acrylic enamel Aqua!

13. Corey "Waldo" E.

Corey "Waldo" E.

20170611_154733.jpg 7 new boxes of flake!

A Minus likes this.
  14. A Minus

A Minus

I had some of that at one point and my dumb self sprayed it about 10 years ago. Wish I would not have done that

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

The metalflake brand paint brings back a memory or two. I sprayed a few cars with the star pearl. Was pretty easy to spray with good results. I have not seen one of those cans in ages. I still have a bottle of PPG tincture gold pearl. For years I kept a gallon of RM double deep black nitrocellulose until the can rusted out. Poured the paint into a new can. It was one of my favorite paint for years. Have a project I am going to use it on in the next year or so.

My avatar car is tri coat candy which is nice stuff but the cost is silly. I actually would like to do a panel paint job some time and would like to use a product comparable to the star pearl. I guess I moved a time or two and old paint cans got the heave ho. Your collection is cool though.

16. BJR

BJR

I was just looking at this thread again and saw the Bobcat reducer can. I am wearing a Bobcat reducer T shirt at this very moment. Very cool can and logo.

The37Kid likes this.
  17. Jack M Cooper

Jack M Cooper

What are the codes on the jars? They identify colors and content base. (enamel base or laquer base) It's important not to interchange mixes. Only possible exception was Nitrocellulose laquer thinner used on airplanes in 70-80s, enamel worked poorly with this in emergency once.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  18. Jack M Cooper

Jack M Cooper

19. 28rp

28rp

For the Aussies on here-about four gallons of grey Ducco! As used on most Aussie cars in the early sixties.

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could have fun in there!

21. Still have part of a gallon of John Deere Blitz black and some J.D. reducer.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. BJR

BJR

I think they make anvils and dynamite for Wiley Coyote now. :p

28rp, 56don and The37Kid like this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got a gallon of that paint for cars metallic blue enamel right here under the desk that's probably 8-10 years old. Thought about doing the Lincoln with it, but still undecided on that. I've used their paint a couple of times, looked good for a novice painter like me.

24. 69supercj

69supercj

I've got about 30 or so quart and pint cans of old paint that I bought at an auction probably 7 or 8 years ago and it was old stuff when I bought it. Problem is all the labels have been removed so I have no idea what it is. There are some numbers on the lids I believe. Have no idea if its lacquer or enamel. Whats the best way to tell?

25. BJR

BJR

26. 69supercj

69supercj

It just smells like paint to me.

27. rustythumb

rustythumb

here's my stash. most of it from an uncle who was a bodyman in the late 40's- early 50's. back in the 70's, i had a few gallons of this stuff & a buddy & me would take them out to the desert & shoot them with a 45-70. they would explode straight up 5 or 6 feet. pretty sight! [no, i don't do that anymore!] anyone know anything about the andrew brown paint co,? IMG_4956.JPG IMG_4958.JPG IMG_4957.JPG

28. I think lacquer lasts forever. I had my car painted in 1971 and I had a leftover quart can about half full that the painter gave me for touch up. I found it under my floor probably 20 or 25 years later and when I opened it, it still looked good, so I painted my son's go cart with it. It came out really nice. I still have some left over maroon lacquer from when I painted a car in 1974. I hope its still good, but I don't have any plans to paint anything maroon.

29. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The silver on the 38 Chevy was applied in about 82, I still have almost a full gallon of the that RM paint. I mixed some up and shot some of the pieces going into the Studebaker with that same paint a couple of months ago. That paint has been frozen several times, that's the oldest paint I have and it still seems to flow out well (at least as good as the painter:)