Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 3 spd. Column shift for auto trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Sep 22, 2016.

1. olskool34

olskool34

I seem to remember a thread where somebody used their factory 3 spd. column shifter and modified it to actuate the linkage on their auto trans. But of course I cannot find it. I am building a 53 ford pickup and would love to keep the factory shifter for my C-4. Has anybody done this? Pics would be excellent.

2. gearhead1952

gearhead1952

Not exactly what you are asking but I used a 56 auto column shift in my 52 panel with a c4. Sounds like you just need to modify the shift tube end at bottom of column then make your own linkage rod to connect to trans. I modified a 40 ford or f1 linkage rod for my setup I don't remember which I used.

3. Several years ago I had a 54 Ford coupe with a 302/C4 in it. The car came with an overdrive so it had the column 3speed shift. I just connected a rod from the C4 detent lever to the lever on the column shifter. Don't remember which one, but it must have been simple or I couldn't have done it. No pics, its too long ago. I recall it was sloppy and difficult to be sure what detent you were in unless you went through the whole pattern.

timwhit likes this.
  4. 29moonshine

29moonshine

use the 2&3 shift pattern then make a rod down to the trans. put the shift rod on the trans down. you will not be able to lock it in park but it will shift

Abbey likes this.

5. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah I thought I remember somebody who did and it would lock in park. It was a long time ago that I saw it though.

6. Yes, the 2-3 rod has been hooked to the Auto arm many times. Here is a couple things you should know. No Neutral start switch - No big deal. Once you've started a car in gear you might think different. No shift lock detents on the column - No big deal. You're flying down the road at 70. You hit a medium size Pot hole and the tranny drops into Low gear. Think about that for a second. "IF" your quick enough to realise what just happened and grab the shift handle to get it back into Drive you WILL stuff it into Reverse. These things really do happen. Ford made Automatics in the trucks from 53 on. Find a mast jacket and change the one on your stock steering box. Also there are 2 different style shift arms on C-4's. One is for the floor shift and stands up. It also shifts backwards to the motion of the column shift movement. The column shift arm on the C-4 uses a bell crank unit in the stock passenger car form. You will need to adapt that with the F-100 jacket. It's really not difficult once you get into it. You will never regret doing it right.
    The Wizzard

F-ONE, jnaki, funk 49 and 5 others like this.
  7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Without a doubt listen to this man!

Pat

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Olskool: I would measure the length of your stock column, visit your favorite junk yard that has some older cars, preferably Fords. See if you can find an automatic column that is the correct length or close. It would be easier to adapt. I used a column from a '59 Ford passenger car in my cabrio. It is an automatic column. It bolted to the existing holes in the bottom edge of the dash and the shift arm on the bottom of the column fell right between the firewall and left head! I mounted a starter witch (push button) on the firewall so the linkage depresses the button only in "park". This passed NSRA 23 inspection. I'll look for some pics. 227.JPG 244.JPG 001.JPG 004.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done 8-10 40 fords using the stock 3 spd column modified for an auto trans. Use the 1sr/reverse arm. I make a detent plate to lock in park/pull up for reverse(pulls back) then drops a little to neutral then drops again to drive. Neutral safety switch on trans. Gear indicator hid behind radio speaker grill-work great and can't be knocked into wrong gear or start if not in park or neutral. work well.

jnaki, rod1, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  10. fordor41

fordor41

Check Limeworks speed shop under "shifters". Will get an idea how they do it

11. olskool34

olskool34

I was not aware that pickups had automatic trannies in 53. That would be a whole lot easier than modifying the stick column.

12. Yes they did. F.Y.I. any 53 - 55 outer what I call the mast jacket will bolt right in place of your existing 3 speed jacket. Also the 56 F-100 will fit but needs to be shortened just at the bottom about one and a half inches. This can be done with a tubing cutter or hacksaw. I've never compared the passenger car to truck but I have both so for curiosity sake I'll do that and get back to ya. The passenger car unit will be much easier to find.
    The Wizzard

13. olskool34

olskool34

Great, I really appreciate that. Saves me the grief of trying to modify something only to have it not function properly. The limeworks unit also looks very nice.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've used '56 passenger car in earlier ('52-'55) passenger cars, to shorten the steering mast & jacket, putting the steering wheel 'down on the dash'. (used a 15" dished 3 spoke Covico wheel, or the '56 Ford deep dish wheel)
    Look at the Timwhit photos on #s 7 & 8. Pretty mast and wheel, that '56!

In F1s and F100s, be advised you can use the turn signal switches in the stock F100 steering columns.
    Also passenger cars, wiring schematic is the same, and is posted on line. (google)

Waiting for Pist-N-Broke to return with his info on truck/passenger car mast jacket interchange.
    No 'Park/neutral' safety switch is fishing for trouble.

15. Well this is quite the simple little project when it comes to most conversions in the Hot Rod world. Here is a photo of the Car and Truck units side by side.
    P1010366.JPG P1010367.JPG
    Know that the dash mount bracket will slide to any position. Both tubes are Inch and a half O.D. The length of the Car jacket is Three inches shorter. I personally don't see that as an issue. According to the marks on them the shift arm bracket of the Car unit will still be below the floor board in the Truck.
    On the Truck jacket the gear crown is on the top of the signal switch housing. In the 57-58 unit the indicator is in the dash with a pointer fastened to the shift rod.
    P1010368.JPG
    Here is the lower end of both units side by side and flush at the top.
    P1010369.JPG
    Here is the Key ingeredient of keeping the Automatic shifter in or out of gear. That philips head screw is where the gear pointer is fastened in it's stock location. So drilling a pilot hole is just how easy it is to re locate it.
    P1010370.JPG

This is one of my 57 Fords with the bell crank I mentioned before. This car actually has a Ford A.O.D. in it. Reason for this unit is to get full rotation of the Trans arm. It rotates more than 90 degrees so without it you can get over center and won't return when connected with just a Rod from column to Trans. This is a Ford unit with just a bit of messing and once you see just what it does it's a no Brainer.
    P1010371.JPG P1010372.JPG

Also know that 57 signal is much the same as the F-100. In 1958 it changed and has the Horn wire in the signal loom and uses a different steering wheel. Also the F-100 unit in the photos is a 1956 unit and I believe it is One and a Half inches shorter that the 53-55 units. So as usual everything interchanges sorta kinda. Believe me it's not that hard.
    The Wizzard

mgtstumpy and Hnstray like this.
  16. olskool34

olskool34

Great info there pist n broke, really appreciate that. Been looking around for some but no luck locally. Most yards around here got rid of their vintage cars long ago. Looks like a pretty straight forward project.

17. I've done basically the same thing with two '40 Ford sedans and a '39 Ford convertible. HRP

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Good advice! Whoever put the Chevy 350/350 in my Lincoln used the original column with a bell crank at the bottom. It worked, but there was no detente system, you could move the lever to any position at any time. I accidentally bumped mine one day going down the road and it went into reverse! Killed the engine immediately! Didn't take but a second to pull it back down into neutral and hit the starter, but it could have been a disaster. Another time, the 3 year old Grandson was sitting in the car, parked, "driving" as most kids do, when he pulled it out of park. If I hadn't of been standing there with the door open, it could have been bad, too.

I'm changing the Chevy out for a HO 302 Ford and AOD, and changing the column to a GM one at the same time. It will have a detente system so no more slip ups.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    bp1971 likes this.
  19. 1980gold

1980gold

sorry to bother you on an old thread I want to put the column shifter back in my 41 ford. last year I put a 37 or so column in and I currently have a floor shifter in it. its a t 350 automatic do you have a pic of the detent you made? also are the shift arms pressed into the bottom of the shifter shaft or pinned because I would have to shorten the shaft as I did the mast jacket. thanks for any help

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Courtesy of X38 down here
    Auto column.jpg Auto column2.jpg

olscrounger and 1980gold like this.
  21. 1980gold

1980gold

22. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I will be grafting a 52-54 Lincoln automatic steering jacket onto my 57 Furd push truck. No detents on this thing, since it is for a dual range hydramatic, which along with Lincoln 368 and hydro will be going into the old 57 push truck.

1980gold likes this.
  23. Very easy on a shoebox to hook the factory shifter up to a c4. I got stranded by this.

Here's my advice: use the arm closest to the bumper for the linkage (the shifter has two of them) cut the other one off.

If you have a 302/c4 that second arm (the one closest to the cab) can jam as it flops around, if the shifter pin moves out to actuate that arm and it jams you will be stuck in whatever gear the trans happened to be in. This stranded me and i had to cut in on the street with an angle grinder

Also, lots of c4/c6 will basically fall into reverse without a shifter detent. Having a good parking brake is absolutely critical