Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. lucky13

lucky13

Are you using a longboard sander when you sand intake like that?

els likes this.
  2. 20170530_223935.jpg This plate has sand paper glued to the other side. Its 18x18x3/4

els, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  3. lucky13

lucky13

Nice! I'm gonna do that when the time comes on my engine build

els and loudbang like this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Why on the engine? I mean why not before mounting?

els likes this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

it moves around when you torque it down, and you want it to be flat, so the blower case does not distort as you tighten it to the intake.

els, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Logical..Having faith in not getting any residue where it don't belong I do not have..Everything would be good till I removed the last piece of tape.....

7. lucky13

lucky13

You could always buy a set of sacrificial intake gaskets and tape over the ports as well

els likes this.
  8. It was a rough day. It was hot and humid. I started at 8am its now 3am. There is a lot more work to do. I hope i can have a easier day coming up. 20170611_024623.jpg

els, kiwijeff, chryslerfan55 and 9 others like this.
  9. like jim said its all about eliminating distortion. blowers are set up with just a few thousandths clearance. any distortion goes to the blower case. thats a good way to ruin a blower fast. it also prevents blowing out gaskets. i vacuum everything when I'm done sanding. paper towel in each port plus over lapping clean rags stops anything from falling in the engine.

els, mad mikey, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  10. Im certainly no quiter but sometimes you just get beat. After a two and a half day thrash the car is ready to race almost. The new heads with the 1.950 installed height have not been bolted together with pushrods before today.
    With all the new changes to the combination the pushrods are too long due to the need for a lash cap on the exhaust side. We need the lash cap to tip the rocker back for retainer clearance. It wont be safe to run the car the way it is now. I will get out the pushrod mock up tools and set one up. This mock up along with three sets of exhaust pushrods will go back to manton to have some cut off. I need to mention my friends at cometic gasket sent me a care package with new 6 bolt intake gaskets. These gaskets are made to my specs so i dont need to do any trimming. They also eliminated the 16 holes i wont be using preventing a possible blow out. We came real close to making it real close. 20170530_101717.jpg 20170611_213340.jpg 20170611_212949.jpg

els, chryslerfan55, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

So are we still going see you in BG

els likes this.
  12. Not this year unfortunately. I will see you at the meltdown.

13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I hate to hear it.
    I will plan on seeing you there.

14. loudbang

loudbang

Sometimes you just have to step back and get YOUR body in order. Then jump back on the car when you are refreshed. :rolleyes:

els and mad mikey like this.
  15. Thats exactly it. I need a day away from the car. While the pushrods are out i can clean the shop. It looks like a bomb went off in there. I can also finish a few things i would have left as is to make the race.

els, Hubes45, mad mikey and 1 other person like this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Admire your dedication, passion or as I used to call my open wheel racing deal back in the day, OBSESSION. The big push to get ready for the next race, Been There, Done That ! Have at it and be Safe, without a doubt, the fastest Hot Rod I've ever read about and a fellow "Cheesehead"

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well what's up with that!!!
    I got mine back together.....though mine is just a wee bit simpler.
    All kiddin aside you made a big hit at it.
    Guess we will get to enjoy that A/C in the trailer at the Meltdowns.

els, mad mikey, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  18. Things happen for a reason, in the long run your body will thank you for the short break.

19. squirrel

squirrel

Really looking forward to seeing it run next month

20. me to. jim if your travel plans take you up this way a day or two early stop by. I can show you some local sites or we can go out to the grove. I can sure feel it today all the work that was done. the heat didn't help either.

21. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Car looks Great. Long hard fought rebuild. Shows how effort really pays off!!! Great Job

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  22. Wise decisision, so many builds are ruined with the last minute rush when some tiny little detail is overlooked. It just happens when you are tired and fight against the clock. After all the effort put into this you deserve the best possible outcome. My hat is off to you Brian.

Greetings from Orlando btw, I'm on a four week vacation here with family. If youd be closer I'd come to see your hot rod live

23. i agree. the nitro is very unforgiving. everything has to be perfect to prevent a disaster. when things go bad they do it in a big way. I just got off the phone with al at manton pushrods. he said send them out he will get to them asap. so much for a evening away from the car. after work I will be in the shop mocking up a pushrod then running it to the post office at the Milwaukee airport. they are open 24hrs. I will send them out red label. I could have it running by the weekend. I cant wait to smell the nitro.

els, saltflats, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

The smell of fuel at the sprint car races is one of the best parts. Burning nose and eyes!!! I dont get to smell nitro hardly ever and its got to be the same feeling. Please post a video when it gets fired up. Fedco

25. I got out the pushrod checking tools. At pri a few years ago manton was selling this kit for 25 dollars. It contains several lengths and various screw in tips. Also included are a pair of light weight springs. To use the kit select the correct length and tip. Install it and adjust the length to suit your application. Tighten the locking nut and you now have eliminated any guess work. Ship the sample back to manton so they can make a perfect set of pushrods for your combination. A hemi uses two different length pushrods. My friend mark also bought a set. We share them back and fourth. It was difficult to get good pics but it does show whats going on. The last two pics show with and without a lash cap. They speak for themselves. 20170612_185624.jpg 20170612_190310.jpg 20170612_191625.jpg 20170612_192536.jpg 20170612_192559.jpg

els, Dog_Patch, saltflats and 4 others like this.
  26. Its alive. We are 20170618_173936.jpg getting real close to start up. The electrical was taken care of today. With that done i could crank the engine for oil pressure. I can also watch the fast box. It has lights that go on when all systems are go. I have been concentrating this weekend on finishing up some things that were not completed last year. All i need now is my exhaust pushrods and a few interior panels and its off to the races.

els, kiwijeff, Dog_Patch and 12 others like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

HUSTON we are ready for LIFTOFF. :)

els, Stogy and Johnboy34 like this.
  28. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Awesome progress!

What is your caster setting?

els likes this.
  29. joel I hope you are feeling better. I set mine at 7 degrees. not a lot of fun on the street but great at the top end.

30. It ready. The interior and new pushrods were put back in friday. The air shifter and fire bottles were hooked up today. The mag is timed for the nitro now. Alot of small details have kept me busy. I hope to get some miles on it sunday. 20170624_192658.jpg 20170624_192539.jpg

els, OahuEli, kiwijeff and 9 others like this.