Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harpboys4, Jun 8, 2017.

1. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

IMG_1368.JPG Evening
    I just purchased a 54 Suburban and it arrived today to view in person. I first noticed it sat a bit tall like a 4x4 but it is not. I also noticed it has what appears to be a factory type sway bar. I am hoping there is a Hamb member that can help me figure out if it is a stock height that was made for forest or something. It also has a very cool stock roof rack that makes me wonder if maybe it was a Hotel or Campsite vehicle.

spurgeonforge likes this.
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Lets see the frame, front suspension and rear suspension pic's.................................................
    It looks to be sitting on a later model frame.
    6 lug wheels?

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Did they swap axles from over to under springs to give it that attitude? Not a NAPCO 4x3 conversion
    Here's the shop manual. 1954 specifications
    This is how it should look at normal ride height: extended shackles, blocks, new springs?
    [​IMG]

upload_2017-6-9_12-10-13.png

4. Took a sway bar off the front axel/frame of an old 50's Suburban....about the only thing that was left....it's u-shaped and I think I saved it when I moved....thought maybe it was a school bus....not much left of it but it was yellow....or it could be a highway or train support vehicle....I'll look around for it...

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

With no drivetrain or guts that's not a surprising height, to me anyhow.

I think suspension photos are in order however to really give s good answer

6. squirrel

squirrel

Really hard to tell from the picture you provided. If you take some pictures of the frame and suspension, we can identify if it's original.

Suburbans and Panel trucks got sway bars before pickup trucks did...my late 50s Suburbans all had them.

7. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

It appears to be a stock frame as I have a truck frame here in the yard. It does have what seems to be a pretty big stack of springs. The rear was loaded with parts when it got here and it was same height. I do not have a stock set of springs to compare. IMG_1371.JPG IMG_1373.JPG

8. squirrel

squirrel

huh, looks like someone went crazy on the springs.

I generally don't worry too much about the history of bizarre modifications like that...I just remove them, and make the truck like it ought to be. (whatever you think that is)

Tim likes this.
  9. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I was more curious if it was a factory thing so I didn't remove something that is a rare option. Do you happen to know how many springs for a stock set?

10. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Thanks that is very helpful info. It does seem to been heavy in the springs area.

11. squirrel

squirrel

you can tell by looking at the springs, that a bunch of leafs were added. Notice they have different shapes on the ends, the lengths are not in even increments, etc.

There weren't really hardly any rare factory options on those trucks....but there were a whole lot of different kinds of home brew modifications you could do. Some are neat, others are not so neat.

12. squirrel

squirrel

13. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Tim likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

5 speeds are lame, but yeah, the six would be fun. Column shift 3 speed, for bonus points.

15. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I thought about going back stock but I would like for him to be able to freeway drive it comfortably so he can drive something when we go on cruises.

16. squirrel

squirrel

There are ways....

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Looks like I was way wrong, was going by the shadows under the Berb in first pic! Anything siting that high would have to have sway bars!
    I will be working on a '54 GMC tomorrow will at least check out the rear springs for you but I replaced the front suspension many years ago with a MII........................................

Attached Files:

18. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Springs are bone stock. Put all of the factory gear on the truck and it will settle right down to normal height.

I have 6 Suburbans and a couple of Canopy Expresses and there is an amazing amount of spring rate in half ton spring packs.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  20. squirrel

squirrel

I agree the original springs are pretty stiff, but they also don't have those extra leafs with square ends stuck between the original leafs with tapered ends.

Look close at the pictures....

Tim likes this.
  21. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

That is very nice.

22. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Thanks I hope it does. I have had a few trucks same year and they never sat that high with out an engine is what I was going by. You have some very cool trucks. I have a 54 truck not stock suspension and I have a 55 first series cab and parts. The 55 was restored and then my father totaled it. I kept it registered and hope to put it back together some day.

23. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

I looked at a couple of front axle leaf spring packs in my shop. Several only have the tapered ends as Squirrel indicates and two have the interspersed square leaves, all have only 8 leaves.

I have a set of Eaton Detroit springs as well and they are straight on all leaves.

None have 10 leaves like yours appear to have in the photo. I was mistaken to jump to the conclusion they were stock. It looks like they don't fit any of the configurations in Squirrel's table.

I have seen heavy duty spring packs on rear axles of suburbans fitted out as ambulances with 9 leaves . . . but I have not seen 10 leaves on either axle before.

24. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks

I would just take them apart, leave out all the leaves that don't look like they match the majority, sand blast, replace bushings, and reassemble and paint, using the correct length center bolts. the clamps may give you grief, though.

But I've been known to be a cheapskate.

25. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

This is great information. If I pull them apart would it be best to remove smaller ones or larger ones?

26. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Thanks that sounds like what I will do as I already removed the front sheet metal.