Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA Flathead Misfire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Roadster_Patillac, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Hello All,

Newbie here, need some help on my '52 Ford Flathead. I have been searching on here for previous threads and can't seem to find anyone with the same issue I am having. Little history: I have been building a '29 Ford Model A Roadster for about 3 years now. Bought it as a roller and it came with a Flathead that needed rebuilt.

Had it freshly rebuilt about 6 months ago, block was hot tanked and fluxed, no cracks, solid block. New Pistons, rings, Bored .060 Over, Isky Max 1 Cam, Stock heads, stock intake, new stock fuel pump, original distributor with Pertronix and Flame thrower Coil, new plug wires and a new Edelbrock 94. Everything is new minus the Distributor.

Had some trouble on the initial start up with timing, but got it figured out, break in went very well.

She idles nice and revs up great! When I took it out for the first drive, it sounded like it was missing on the driver side bank, passenger bank sounds amazingly good. Brought it back and checked the timing again. I have it set at 4 degrees advanced and it idles so nice and revs up just fine. Threw some new plugs in, she ran ok for about 10 miles then started acting up again. Pulled all of the plugs and noticed in #1 #6 and #7 Cylinder the plugs are soaked in fuel. The #1 plug looks super clean like a brand new plug but soaked in fuel. #6 and #7 look dark like they're super rich. All other plugs look somewhat rich but do not look bad. Is this a timing issue? Should I get rid of this stock distributor? I have been researching for weeks now and can't figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Patrick

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Pertonix makes an electronic conversion for almost everything out there.

My 49 truck motor ran an Accel Dual point that I converted to Pertronix.....world of difference.

3. Thanks for the reply, I have that installed with the flame thrower coil, came as a kit.

4. metal man

metal man

Are the plugs the only thing you changed when it started running well ?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd try another known good stock carburetor, preferably off of a good running car. Someone you know should have one or know somebody who does. Too bad you're not closer.

6. Plugs, pertronix and coil. Sounds much better and starts up much easier

7. I have 2 other 94's that were good, put the Edelbrock on and it seemed to make things better. I noticed last night with the timing light on, when I rev the engine up , it does not advance....

8. 1941coupe

1941coupe

the original loadomatic dist will only work with the 8ba carb w/ vacuum port is that the carb you have ??

9. I do have that carb, but recently put a new Edelbrok 94 on it