Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is the traditional "fad" over where you live?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotrodman303

hotrodman303

Don't take everything so seriously. Hot rods should be fun whatever they are. Everyone has a preference, have a good time with what you are running. Don't put yourself or anyone else in a category and forget what the hobby is about. Who cares about fads?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rjones35, John Starr, AHotRod and 5 others like this.
  2. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Make it the car YOU want. Screw what other people think. If you are trying to buy cool. Then that is something you will always lose at.

3. metalman

metalman

Wow, 5 pages of posts and most of them are really not relevant to my original post. Just an observation I've had how the popularity of traditional hot rods and customs have died back down around here, was just wondering if it a local thing or all over.
    I went to the hot rod drags last year so I know the popularity seems still strong in some areas. Didn't see any NM cars there though, least not participating in the drags.
    Not taking it seriously, still having fun. Spent the day assembling a flat head, better day at work then most have been lately!

4. metalman

metalman

Really? Where in any of my posts did you come up with this? I have no problem building what I like (personal vehicles, customer stuff is different) whether it's "cool" or not. Never have, never will.

Squablow likes this.
  5. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Was not talking to you at all. I was talking in general to (You) anyone reading my post. And I stand by it. It all goes back to what is a hot rod and why do (You) want one. "Cool" and "Hot Rod" is 100% subjective. It is (Your) money. (You) get to decide what both mean. Not what some white beard keyboard jockeys say both are.

6. You know how people just get passionate about "traditional". In order to answer your question whether it's declining in their area, they have to "define" it first in their head, then think about what they are witnessing in their area. They all have an opinion about what qualifies as "traditional". (I know the "HAMB" doctrine is important here, but there's no law that everyone in the general public adhere to it. People get ragged on here for being OT, but no one is throwing someone out of a parking lot gathering because they have ugly wheels.)

It's triggering a general discussion. Happens all the time, no harm, no one means anything personally.

7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Fads come and go, cars cost money no matter how built. Thankfully it seems the rat rods and garish shock rods has died down a bit in my area. It did get people driving a less then perfect or unfinished car though the patina fad screwed up more cars in my opinion. No staying power for the people in it for the scene so yeah it's thinned the herd. I had one of my dads say it best. When we were young we built to the best ability to what we had. Now they are building them that way on purpose, I don't get it? A well built tradition styled car will always be appreciated so in my opinion the fad aspect can die and thats OK.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  8. jackalope

jackalope

Amen to this. All of what you said here is 100% spot on. Hell, technically I don't even belong on this site based on the guidelines (i.e. Prejudices).

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tfeverfred likes this.
  9. metalman

metalman

Ok, cool. I guess since it's my thread I thought you were talking to me.
    I agree with you 100%. Too often I see folks (my customers sometimes) get way too caught up with worrying about what's "cool" even if it's against their taste. The only time I'll try to talk a customer out of what they want is if it's a safety issue or it's just so far out there I don't want my name attached to it, both cases if I can't change their mind I just decline to do it.

10. Im on the younger end of the spectrum being 29. Around here traditional is still a fad but it seems to come along with wearing really tight britches, hand made small batch work boots made from vegan cows, and a snobby attitude. The cars are cool none the less but the folks driving a majority on the other hand arent so much. The ratrod trend seems to be dying though so thank god for that.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  11. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Nope

12. A Boner

A Boner

In my world it's expanding.....it's way into the 70's already.

13. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

With popularity came increased prices. I just looked through the "parts for sale", the pieces for that period correct traditional ride are not cheap. I see a lot of overpriced project cars, sometimes I wonder if the price is right...$5000. Not $500? Really? A lot of sellers think every old rust bucket is worth a fortune. Craigs list is full of them. Not much incentive for those new projects.

I wonder how much the lack of interest might be lack of interesting events. I know that spending an afternoon on a hot parking lot in July effects whether I'll be there. I seem to see quite a few nice cars driving around that aren't at cruise events.

As far as fads it seems that the 50s and 60s cars are becoming more popular, at least around here.

AHotRod, Bruce Fischer and hotcoupe like this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Is the traditional 'fad' over where you live?"

..."I hope so. These cars are as dated as anything that came down the pike."

If you hate 'dated' cars, maybe you should go onto a nice Yugo or Kia site, Elmer.

Bruce Fischer, bowie and Squablow like this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm with you on the hot asphalt parking lots. I try to hit a few shows early in the Spring of the year, before it gets so damn hot.
    Seems to me there oughta be a way to hold these things later in the evening after it cools down.
    There's a huge show in the Marietta, GA area, north of Atlanta, called "Caffeine and Octane" that is held in the early am. But since I live about 60 miles south of there on other side of all that Godawful Atlanta traffic, No Thank You.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not on this site it won't. With very few exceptions the HAMB celebrates a few specific eras of car – not "traditionally built" or whatever spin is put on the excuse to use more modern parts and styling or building with whatever you have available.

I own a few things that don't fit the criteria here... and I don't post pictures, talk about them, or try to force them into forums where they don't fit. Easy peasy.

bowie, clunker, Bruce Fischer and 3 others like this.
  17. Hey Terry....Just saw this thread. really enjoyed my visit with you last week...wish we lived closer so I could do it more often. Very impressive work you do! The hand fab on the '32 sheetmetal was incredible.
    Wondering if showing up at your shop with my "street rod"? (still not sure what it is, other than "mine") prompted your thinking on this thread. Hanging out on this forum, is about the only way I've gotten to have a small idea of what traditional really means as not too many in the Amarillo area that I have met or seen at shows are Hamb friendly types.
    There are probably more around than one would think, I'm guessing many of them don't mingle because they really are bored/disgusted/tired of what has become the norm at shows? I remember you telling me you don't go to shows anymore.

18. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

The new fad here is to put an LS engine in everything.
    Pete

rjones35 and AHotRod like this.
  19. ebfabman

ebfabman

Never was really a fad here. Old cars have always been in fashion. However, as of late, I've seen a LOT of projects and old vehicles for sale. Most are stupid high prices but its been like that for a while. Just part of the cycle. Seems the cars with high cool factor will always be sought after.

20. most folks where I live like the "traditional look"
    meaning mostly original sheetmetal and trim with LS motors and other fuel injected offerings
    I have got some good deals on older speed parts from folks going LS
    vintage motors like Hemis and flatheads are expensive to build and folks opt out for reliable, simple and cheap
    and don't forget that S10 frames will fit anything ever built in Detroit

AHotRod likes this.
  21. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Styles, trends,fades,ways of life,what ever you want to call it,have their ups and downs.Most everything has had its rebirth over and over again.Every day it will get harder and harder for anything to cling onto its existence. Too many changes going on in the world and like the national debt,it keeps going faster and faster.
    Around here there was a Open Wheel Car thing but that I think has run its coarse.I just got plain lucky when I sold my tub a couple years back.Would never get the price today. Iam just Joe Nobody,I cant save anything and dont have the time to try. Enjoy what you like,stay out of someones face that doesnt like a certain car,and motor on.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

In my estimation the Street Rod fad is whats rapidly fading. You just don't see the numbers at cruise nights anymore.

Gary

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    47ragtop and hotrodyankee like this.
  23. I'm going to second that one. I go to a local cruise night and I see a bunch of street rods that look like they were built in the 80's,...because they were. Other than a wash and wax, they probably never get much attention.Certainly, no updating.
    There are some high end street rod builders in the valley, but most of them have the vision thing, which is the retro looking stuff..Artillery wheels, triple carbs, etc... in other words, Gold Chainers are going retro!

24. plan9

plan9

Gassers are the new ratrod.
    Only thing around here thats changed is me... more grumpy and getting fatter by the month.

clunker, F-ONE, williebill and 3 others like this.
  25. After reading your comment, I guess my idea of a 2.3l EcoBoost in a '62 Falcon isn't so strange.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  26. hotrodman303

hotrodman303

Also to answer the original question, Traditional hot rods are still a big thing in Colorado. The hot rod hill climb in September and the just concluded hot rod dirt drags are the perfect indication.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Pufff and scruff like this.
  27. There was a fad???

Seriously though, it's still going strong

Pufff and F-ONE like this.
  28. Hell no, I had a 65 mustang coupe, with a 2.3 turbo Thunderbird motor with a five speed. it was one of the most fun cars I have ever had. Build what you want, and don't worry about other people.

AHotRod likes this.
  29. I'm not a trend setter & don't subscribe to fads,I was a traditionalist before I knew what it was.

I have always like the acronym, K.I.S.S.

"Keep it simple stupid" ~ I am not insinuating the OP or anyone else is stupid,it's just my mantra. HRP

30. squirrel

squirrel

my favorite, too.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.