Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T10 Transmission ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zpi28, Jun 3, 2017.

1. zpi28

zpi28

I purchased a 4 speed today and am looking for some information on what I have here. I'm building a 68 Camaro and have been looking locally for a decent 4 speed.
    What I got today is a T10, iron case with aluminum tail housing. And it has a Hurst shifter on it. Only appears to be missing one linkages arm. What did I get?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be great. I will be running a mild 454 with around 450-500hp. Just a fun street car, probably won't see the strip very often.
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

that's not the transmission you want, it's ok for a mild 283, maybe 250-300 hp. It's from 62, probably worth a bit to a restorer.

see if you can find a Super T-10, used in Camaros and Vettes in the 70s-early 80s.

Hatchet and zpi28 like this.
  3. zpi28

zpi28

I have a line in a 4 speed that's in a V8 Vega now. Not sure what's in it.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If all three shift shafts are on the sidecover it is a Saginaw.
    Generally not suited for performance use though they did use them in low hp Camaros, as well as Novas and Chevelles.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I'd probably use the Saginaw, and sell the T-10 to the right guy....

that way you won't be tearing up valuable rare parts when you break the trans

Hatchet likes this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Plenty of good, used, Super T-10's out there, and for good prices; it seems most guys want automatics now (???). Plus, there are a bunch of different ratios available to pick from. Your early T-10 is probably thoroughly worn out, and won't hold up well behind a lot of power, but it also looks like it's been sitting a long time (rusted up collar and input shaft). Mild SBC, and not beating on it, will go a long ways to keeping it alive. A good Muncie will be stronger. The aftermarket has really beefed up the parts available for Muncie 4 speeds, starting with new cases, but you get into $$$ very quickly. Clean up and inspect the T-10, sell it, and find a Super T-10; the shifter and linkage will swap right over. Don't waste any time or money on a Saginaw, unless you just need a "4 speed". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

I use to have a '67 RS SS 350 Camaro with a Muncie 4spd 12bolt posi all original, street slicks, back in the 70's. I pulled the 350 later on, and put my 454 (425- 450hp) in. I broke 3 Muncies. I twisted the housings in half. I was told not to use a Saginaw, it won't last. I put a Saginaw in that I had laying around. I don't remember how many rings if any, it had on the input shaft. I never broke that Saginaw , and I street raced it, occasionally strip raced it. Between racing my '67 Chevelle 427/t400 race only car. I always was pulling hard gears with it.

In '82 I had a '72 Vega with a strong built 283, 2x4 tunnel, Chrysler 8 3/4 posi. I street raced it hard, with the original 4spd, with a Vgate, and never had a problem with it.

Pat

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I put a Saginaw (not the Vega version) in my truck when I first put the 396 in decades ago. I was really hard on the trans, it took about 4 months to eat up the 2nd gear synchro. I fixed it, and drove it a few more months, then it was getting rough again, and the clutch was starting to slip. so I put an automatic in. Didn't break it, just abused it and it mostly survived. A few years later a friend put a Saginaw in his 64 truck, he put a big block in a few years later, and the trans still works after all this time. So yeah, a Saginaw might be ok. But the Vega has really wide gear ratios, which may or may not be what you want.

9. zpi28

zpi28

Really good information guys. Thank you. I'm pricing a couple more 4 speeds. If this is a Corvette 4 speed I will not use it.

Steven

10. squirrel

squirrel

I think they used them in both Corvettes and in full size cars, there's not really any way to tell which it's from? but the Vette restorer guys seem to like to pay good money for parts that will be "right" for their project. And even the early Impala SS guys will pay for the right parts...those cars are worth a lot, too

11. Southfork

Southfork

I m wanting a 4 speed for my 65 Impala SS hardtop. Would that transmission likely be correct for it?

12. zpi28

zpi28

It's dated 1962, so I'm guessing it would be correct for a 62/63 GM car. I honestly do not know. Which is why I visit here. The knowledge is here when the right people reply.

13. '65 would have aluminum case.

14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Near as I know , any Chevy after 1963 will have a Muncie in it from the factory ; up through the end of the 60s.