Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PCV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparjack44, Jun 1, 2017.

1. moparjack44

moparjack44

Having rear main seal leaking in my 392 Hemi. Replaced twice, still leaks. Have been told could be a ventilation issue, so I'm considering a PCV set up I bought from HotHeads.
    Would the PCV work in the Valve Cover? I don't want to remove the intake to put the PCV in the stock Valley Cover. On the other hand, don't want install it in the Valve Cover if it's not going to do any good.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to have a good flowing, filtered inlet.

A valve cover is fine for the outlet.

3. It would be best in the valley pan. That and a good flowing inlet are all that's needed. Don't wreck you valves covers drilling a hole in them. If you already have breathers (bolt in like a moon breather) in the valve covers you can modify one to take a hose barb or line fitting and use and inline PCV valve. You would still need the good flowing inlet and then have to block off the vented portion of the modified breather to only pull from within the motor and not the outside air as well.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Valve covers are the best place to put them (PVC and inlet).

One of the side benefits of a PVC system is it helps remove water condensation out of the crankcase. Condensation mixed with oil produces sludge. When PVC systems were first being factory fitted in the very early 60s, the valley area was commonly used for the location of the PVC valve. But the manufacturers quickly found out that while it reduced sludge in the block, it did nothing under the valve covers due to lack of air circulation; they still got excessive sludge build-up. Moving the PVC to one cover and the inlet to the other dramatically reduced sludge overall, which is why almost all modern engines have the PVC system located in the valve covers...

Make sure your inlet is large enough; 1/2" ID should be the minimum.

Making it look good on a 'vintage' motor is another story, but if you want function over looks, the valve covers are the place.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pic of motor

6. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

I had a problem on the 223 in my Edsel with fumes coming out of the valve cover filler/breather + the crankcase sython tube when i was stationary even though the engine uses no oil
    Like you i was reluctant to drill the valve cover so what i did was to cut the sython tube and turn it upwards the fitted the PCV valve into the tube
    Now it runs well with no fumes it draws air into the engine through the filler/vent and the fumes get drawn into the inlet and get burned

7. moparjack44

moparjack44

I can't do pictures. I'm of the "older" generation and computer challenged. It is a New Yorker engine, 2 4's, Weiand intake, Hot Head Valve Covers, stock valley pan. I double checked today, there is no draft tube. The only ventilation is oil filler tube K&N cap. I do have some pictures in Photobucket, but can't get them from there to H.A.M.B.

8. moparjack44

moparjack44

OK, somehow I got a picture to my email. Can I get it from there to H.A.M.B. ??

9. stimpy

stimpy

on pcv systems cross venting is the way to go air in one side vapors out the other . and the valve covers are the best place to do it . but I hate to see a set of the old hemi covers get cut , to remove the intake and valley pan is not that hard and probably need to be resealed anyways , I would put it in the valley cover by the distributor ,or in the covers way to the back and near the top of the cover corner . just drill for a rubber bushing and use a push in type .

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Regardless of where you put the pcv valve, you're going to have to put a baffle of some sort inside to shield the pcv valve's suction inlet from oil splash or you'll be sucking that splashed oil right thru the pcv valve and into the intake manifold and burning it.

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

This fix a bit OT, but have a fellow racer that had a leaking rear main on his 302 GMC race motor. His fix was a electric vacuum pump for chevy trucks that was used to boost, I think, the brake vacuum. Could be hidden in your massive engine compartment.

12. moparjack44

moparjack44

Resized_20170202_143240.jpeg IMG_0109-1.JPG

After many hours, I have pictures, maybe?

13. moparjack44

moparjack44

Massive, maybe? Full, yeah!
    Can you give or get me more info and details

14. moparjack44

moparjack44

Massive, maybe? Full, yeah!
    Can you give me more info and details.

Thanks,
    Jack

15. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

On my early hemis I used a Ford grommet and pcv valve in the old original valley cover road draft tube hole.

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That's the way I did this one, by cutting the road draft tube off very short. I drilled and tapped the bottom side of the intake 1/4" NPT, and used a 90 degree adapter to 3/8 inverted flare. Then simply connected the system with a bent 3/8 steel line. The pcv is just ahead of the oil pressure sending unit. It's been running for 13 years and 25,000 miles. P1010074.JPG way

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not at all familiar as I'd like to be with the innards of a hemi. Does the hemi have any sort of baffle can similar to that on the pre pcv sbc engines that had a road draft tube to hold back oil splatter and splash?

18. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

19. moparjack44

moparjack44

That was kinda my original idea (using the PCV setup) I got from Hot Heads. But, don't want to have to remove the intake? My plan "B" is to install the PCV in the valve cover, and vent to the front carb? Tapping into the Hot Heads valve cover in not a deal breaker for me. I drive my old DeSoto (a lot), and I'm into dependability more than looks, to a point. I attend quite a few shows, because I love the drive, and the people. I always opt not to be judged. I can't enjoy the people and all the other cars if I gotta be rubbing on my own all day so I "might" get another thing to collect dust. That's just how I am.

20. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Yes, I get it, you don't want to mess with perfection. Its really a fairly simple fix.you really don't have to move much more than the assembled intake and you then need the correct diameter grommet ,PCV valve, intake gaskets, your Weiend intake already has a hole for threaded nipple fitting the PCV hose, bingo, Bobs yer uncle.

21. greybeard360

greybeard360

Actually, the original pcv setup was developed in WWII for tanks. It was designed to replace road draft tubes so that the tank could ford thru water without water entering the crankcase. In the late 50's is when it was discovered that a large amount of hydrocarbons was coming out of road draft tubes so the pcv system was used to capture and burn it. A side effect of it... Prevents moisture buildup.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app