Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Get the shmoo out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Labla, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

I have 2 of these that I found in an old box. Neither one works. Anybody have tips to make them work, or is there a way to cut it open safely, if even for a one time use? GEDC0826.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just stab it with a good knife...then your assistants/survivors can scrape it off your face and spread it on whatever needs a reliable gasket.
    Good lord, man, do you really want to try out 1970's goo on your car??!?

3. That's actually late 90s goo, and used in the right places works well. It's really popular with motorcycle guys. Myself, I prefer Yamabond but that works best on machined surfaces, not so hot if one or both are cast. TRS will do cast...

Both have a limited shelf life after first use (probably their major disadvantage), so throw the cans away....

40Vert likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd set it on a fence post and shoot a hole in it from about 50 feet back. should put on quite a show.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Pound a nail in the top of it. it may spray out a bit but turn it over into a bucket.

8. Carefully make a small hoke next to the cap hole with a sawedoff shotgun

9. Heat it up in the microwave for a few minutes.

Doug Cook, Jet96, Hatchet and 5 others like this.
  10. Did my dad convince you to try this? He saves teabags for a second go. He was also too cheap to buy a circular saw when I was growing up, used to rip plywood with a hand saw.

(Kidding, I would probably try it too. Nice truck)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. This type of stuff stays fluid but viscus in the can then will set up after it's exposed. You have a solid plug of the shmoo inside the valve area. So you have a plugged valve/vent and the contents still under pressure, just like a "resting" volcano has a plug of hardened lava. If you make a new vent somewhere, you're bound to have an eruption. It's a crap shoot if that eruption is going to be a slow ooze like the Hawaii type volcano, or if it will be Mt. St. Helens all over again. If you're a gambling man, run a sheet metal screw in the side near the bottom and back it out partially, slowly and carefully until you get something. Let the screw be your new valve.

I assume no responsibility or liability for the consequences. :cool:

Doug Cook and saltflats like this.
  12. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

With the can sitting upright on the bench all the propellant gas will be at the top. What I do is use a small nail or an awl out at the rim of the can (cover with a big rag if you're nervous or wearing a tux) Tap the nail with a hammer until you have a small hole and the gas will escape slowly around the nail. Then remove the rag and the nail and cut the rim off the joint of the top and sides with a sharp pair of aviation snips.

The contents of the can will then be available for use.... one time only. There's no getting the Jeanie back in the bottle.

13. - and make sure you're sitting on your running board when you do this :D!

Jet96 likes this.
  14. stimpy

stimpy

I use a cordless drill and a 1/16th bit and pierce the can on the opposite side of the seam ( do not do it near it or it will unzipper it and make a mess ...then cut the top off with a oil filter tool , and make sure you have everything you need to seal laid out as you have about 10 minutes to set it up . the goo or shmoo stays liquid because of the propellent . I use the old analog sealers ( in the squeeze tube ) that stuff will cause problems with me as I like cheeze wiz ... and that stuff I know tastes like yeach .... specially on a ritz and I hate to see what the sealer tastes like ...

15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It is good to know that I'm not the only one that is tighter than the bark on a tree.

Doug Cook and slowmotion like this.
  16. stimpy

stimpy

I am not cheap I am frugal , my car stops on a dime and pennies,nickels , and picks them up .......

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`m so broke, I can`t afford to pay attention. So all these tips are useful.

Doug Cook and kiwijeff like this.
  18. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

I do have a lot of Dutch blood, so nobody should be surprised. I had several of these, most of them were fine, and used them with good results.

19. My dad uses both sides of the toilet paper.

20. put your camera on a tripod while you are opening this can...........:rolleyes:

Doug Cook, triman62 and Jet96 like this.
  21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

LOTS of great suggestions! Be sure a survivor gets it for U-Tube!

slowmotion and Muttley like this.
  22. williebill

williebill

This is hysterical stuff. I'm the brokest guy I know, but geez, you cheap bastards, buy some new shit.
    This ain't Mad Max , and that ain't a gallon of gas.

clunker and iwanaflattie like this.
  23. upspirate

upspirate

Hey, hold my beer and watch this shit

clunker and Hatchet like this.
  24. tinkirk

tinkirk

What i have done before is take a drill bit and drill down in the tip by hand carefully and keep pulling up every now and then tell you get the tip clean a little brake clean helps loosen the stuff up also if you can't get it that way throw it away and buy a new tube that uses a caulk gun thats the only way to go
    The right stuff is the best on the market always use it for everything

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My caveat is not about getting the shit out, it's about using it. Right Stuff is about the fiercest gripping, strongest bonding sealer ever marketed and I know several professional engine builders who refuse to use it anymore because you damn near have to wreck the parts you have sealed together with this stuff if you need to later take it apart.
    You better have some long thin, sharp, but strong blades to cut in between parts before trying to separate. As an example: getting an aluminum intake manifold off an sbc that has been sealed on with Right Stuff requires using a sharp blade to cut thru the bond at front and rear plus all that you can cut loose on the sides. Try to get a manifold off by prybar and I guarantee you'll destroy the manifold before you get it off.

40Vert likes this.
  26. triman62

triman62

You could use one of those Acme can openers, comes with a pair of roller skates and a blow torch. Wiley Coyote got some good results with one.