Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods To all you guys who complained about the cold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southcross2631

southcross2631

This is to you guys who complained it was too cold to work in your shop over the winter.
    Try wearing your welding jacket and gloves and long pants and getting in and welding floorboards in these temps. It is not the hot part of the year yet. DSCF3386.JPG

Deuces, jp52, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

40% humidity? Hah...... that's a dry heat.:rolleyes:

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

No such thing as dry heat in Florida. I lived and worked in Arizona and 114 and 10% humidity is dry heat.

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could always weld in shorts, tank top, and flip flops! :D

Deuces, Oldmics, A Minus and 6 others like this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O You should have AC in your shop.
    I have heat in mine for the cold.

If it got that hot here you can be dam sure I'd have AC. :D

Deuces and Early Ironman like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Welding jacket? Gloves? What are these strange things you speak of? About the only time I put the gloves on is to stick weld, and I don't own a welding jacket. I just bare hand it with the mig.

Deuces, jp52 and tfeverfred like this.
  7. just think cool thoughts.
    DSCF0534.JPG

8. Uh, yeah...... We dont "complain" about the cold. We BITCH about the cold. BIG difference.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Compared to Houstons 70% and above..... 40% would be considered dry.

Deuces likes this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Been to Houston in the summer. Don't plan on going back.

Deuces, hipster and Jet96 like this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yeah I bitch about the cold. This it what cold does! IMG_1692.JPG

Deuces, Bruce Fischer and Jet96 like this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

No. That is what not paying attention does. I got lucky on my dirt late model one time . I had it outside on an open trailer in south Ga. It got cold enough to freeze and in the morning I went out and looked and my freeze plug was pushed out of the block about 2 inches stuck to a perfect round tube of ice that had expanded and pushed the freeze plug out. Got my salamander heater out and unthawed the block and drained the water out my fresh bowtie block with no damage . Just installed the same freeze plug back in the motor and ran it. Very lucky.
    I grew up in the U.P. of Michigan and know about cold weather. Just having some fun with the guys that bitch about cold winters.

Deuces likes this.
  13. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

living here in J-Ville I feel your pain. Its hard to work on the cars in these temps, I sweat all over everything. I'm originally from central Illinois farm country, never had do deal with the heat back home. In the winter we just fired up the garage heater and went to work, it was great year round, never too cold even below 0. I'm 60 now and not digging the "furnace" garage in the summer, I'm thinking about a portable AC unit!

Deuces likes this.
  14. bet on black

bet on black

I installed ac in my garage before I even put my work bench together. Still need to add a ceiling and insulation but it's better than nothing

Deuces likes this.
  15. bet on black

bet on black

I have tiny burns on my arms from welding in sleeveless shirts cause it's too damn hot to wear a jacket

16. I did the harness in my Ford 2 summers ago during a run of 97-100 heat. I use a heater in my garage in winters, took last winter off with the heart attack recovery. I'm quite comfy working outside as long as it gets over 40 and the sun is out. I believe I have got all of my mandatory work done and I can do light stuff all summer.

Deuces and HerecometheJudge1954 like this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You do know of course that you only got lucky and that they are not called freeze plugs.
    They are core plugs. They do not always pop out and save a block.
    They were not designed to work as "freeze plugs" it's an accidental benefit.

Deuces, gas & guns and Atwater Mike like this.
  18. stimpy

stimpy

did "R" stamp work on gasoline tankers , that have no insulation and we often did them outside because the stainless tanks needed the bigger welders inside , a 70* day the inside of one was often 100* and even washed , steamed and air purged , we had to wear full nomex ( including full hood ) a full leather helmet ( because the arc flash off the inside of the tank) and full leathers and a outside air source mask ( the only relief ) . when it hit 90 * and 75% humidity it was torture, but when you got out 90* felt good ( and I started doing repairs for night ) ... after my first month , I bought a cooling vest ... best $150 I ever spent ..

deathrowdave likes this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

High humidity is a bitch to work in. I hate it. The midwest has both high summer heat and humidity AND brutal well below zero winters. Not every year but it's not uncommon. There's really only a couple few months that aren't pretty damn rough one way or another. Always marvel thinking about our ancestors, they were some tough hombres without hot and cold running water, AC or refrigeration, central heating etc.

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Living in Michigan I've learned to enjoy the weather. Cold doesn't bother me as much as the heat. What really sucks is 35-40* and rain. That really blows.

21. cshades

cshades
    from wi

50-55 degrees is NOT cold--- that's the temp that the furnace warms my shop up to in the winter

hotrodharry2 and flatheadpete like this.
  22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AC and radiant floor heat in mine. We get both versions of the weather in Kansas. Bitch and complain? Not me. When I'm in the shop what is there to bitch about?

vtx1800 likes this.
  23. I HATE cold weather,no I DESPISE cold weather,that's why I reside in the South,but I remember working in the nu-insulated shop in August and the sweat puddling on the lens of my glasses while welding.

When I built my new shop,I over insulated it,used energy efficient windows & doors along with central heat & AIR CONDITIONING,I have never regretted that decision.HRP

24. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP sounds like your living the dream! :D

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

For me "good weather" means it is cool enough, and dry enough, that I won't sweat during moderate to heavy outside work. I sweat buckets and buckets in hot weather for some reason. When mowing the lawn in a tee shirt, see people on a walk wearing a hat and coat. Maybe they are overdressed?

Anything down to around freezing isn't too bad, because we can dress for it and remain comfortable. Once ya get into the tens or below that, especially high winds, that's bad.

Most people who are killed by hypothermia - the temps are well above freezing. So long as you can stay dry, cold weather isn't so bad. Rainy, esp. windy weather around 40° or 50° or so - and not properly dressed is REALLY miserable and can kill someone quick.

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's what you get for living in Florida, or as I call it; hell. It's 58 degrees here headed for 83.

27. I tend to dress light all winter unless I'm using a snow blower. Leather jacket, mostly Sperrys and no socks. T-shirt under the jacket too. Can't understand people who bundle up to go shopping in stores... I'd pass out. I've had it so cold that my garage heater couldn't get the place above 30. Time to stay inside and wait for a better day. Did 2 cold winters of work on the Ford, above 45 and I'll work in a t-shirt, my brother comes over with 3 layers and long johns on.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  28. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

That may change after the heart attack and associated meds. Ask me how I know.

Bruce Fischer and RMONTY like this.
  29. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

My father used to say " If I had a farm in Florida and a home in hell, I'd sell my farm and go home". After five years in Pensacola I found no reason to disagree.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Spent many days laying in the snow working on heavy equipment and log trucks that never seem to break down unless they are in the woods in ass deep snow.
    I moved to Fl. to look after my mom until something happens to her ,we are stuck here. Then it's back to Tn. and 4 seasons again. Also shorter tow to make the Southeast Gasser shows.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.