Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects need some info on a 1938 studebaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goatboy, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

hi all,
    well I have a unique problem I need help with and I knew this was the place to go.
    I got a call yesterday that a woman I have known my whole life wants to GIVE me a 1938 Studebaker 4dr sedan ! it is a one owner (belonged to her father and shes 97) she believes it is a president and I haven't seen the car in 40 yrs but when I did see it the condition was excellent and i don't think it has even left the garage in that time. this is a concrete floor garage and very weather tight so it should be in very good shape still.
    I will have to travel 700 miles to get it , I want to know if this car is worth the trouble, and if anyone has some specs as in weight, width, length, as I said its a 4dr sedan and if I recall it has suicide doors.
    there is also a possibility that its a commander but I don't think those had suicide doors did they ?
    if anyone knows a good website to find info that would be a big help too.
    thanks in advance for your help guys
    todd (goatboy)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. In order to make positive identification we will need to see pictures. No offense

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

5. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

I wish I had any pics and shes to old to get any , maybe if I get info on both it could help.
    thx again

6. oldolds

oldolds

Studebaker Driver's Club. It used to be a good club with lots of info. I haven't spoken Studebaker in about 20 years! I imagine they have an internet presence.

7. scotts52

scotts52

Way cool. I'd love an old Studebaker.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's President, I think that's a plus. Some body styles of the earlier Presidents were deemed "Full Classics" by the AACA. A good friend of mine has a '37 President 4 door. It's a nice big luxurious car with a straight eight with what looks to be a version of a Stromberg 97! I'd be all over that car.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Ok, the sweet old Gal is 97 and thinks highly enough of you that she wants YOU to have her Dad's car (caretaker) and you're wondering if it's worth the trouble?. You might break her heart if you say no! Respect your elder's young Man. Take a long weekend, get off the couch, trailer up and go get it!

And take some pics of you and her with the car to share with us!

Pufff, 6inarow, lewk and 8 others like this.
  10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Amazing the decisions people need help with. Going to pick up this car should be a no brainer.

Peanut 1959, 6inarow, TagMan and 4 others like this.
  11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Damn straight....
    If the elderly lady wanted me to have it, I'd be traveling down there, like now, = short notice weeks' vacation.
    & if it currently runs ok, I'd offer her rides in it, or come back when it does. I know she'd enjoy that, being able to relive memories.

These were fairly nice looking cars, well-proportioned. IIRC, the Pres should have a 250cid strt 8. Don't remember what the Commander had, Dictator had a six, & the shortest wb. W/rare exception(s), all the extra length was in the hood/fenders area. My luck, that thing is a Convertible Sedan, w/the cathedral headlights, no less.. I'd actually cry about that...

I got to ride in a restored 39 Pres a few years ago at the SB Stude nats, - in town, a bit of 4-lane, 2-lane & around the Proving Grounds, & back again - maybe 25-30 miles. What impressed me was the quiet & comfortable ride. If you hate it after you own it for awhile, lots of SDC folks would be happy to take it from you. I doubt you'll see any others - or at least, *very* few. Sure is slick, when "you're the only one around!". Read: attention getter.

I hope you get it, care for it well, & enjoy it for the rest of your life, n pass it down to your kids.
    & while I'm hoping, I also hope you bring it to the Stude nats, esp when they're at South Bend. (Every 5 years).

Seriously, Marcus...

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Dizzie

Dizzie

13. Dizzie

Dizzie

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have a old Chilton manual that goes back to 1941 that gives wheel base, length, and shipping weight I hope this helps 1941 champion wheel base 110 length 191 wt 2436 Commander wheel base 119 length 206 wt 3265 President wheel base 125 length 211 wt 3500

15. Is it home yet ?

16. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

Does it happen to give width ? Need to know if trailer is wide enough thx for info. And no it won't be home till July, but I may be able to post pics next week as my cuz is going to look at it for me.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

All it gives is tread width @ 56 for champion and 58 for the others

18. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

so I would guess 58" wide at the tires for a president ?

19. I have just one piece from a '38 Stude and it is a beauty. I sure wouldn't mind having the whole car. My Stude steering wheel:
    [​IMG]
    Go for it.

slv63 likes this.
  20. aircap

aircap

From the Speedway comes their stamina, from the Skyway comes their style....

21. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

wow is that the steering wheel i will have in a president ? cool looking wheel

22. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

the trailer i have use of has 73" between the wheelwells and is 19' long, i got plenty of room there dont i ?

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

From the Standard Catalog of American Cars......

1938 Commander 116.5" wheelbase.........frt/rr tread 59.5".....length 193.75" ....wt. approx 3200 lbs

1938 President 8* 122.0 wheelbase.........frt/rr tread 59.5".....length 199.25" ....wt. approx 3500 lbs

*About the same size as a 1938 Buick Special Series 40, but the Buick is a few hundred pounds heavier.

Should easily fit on a common 18 ft tandem axle car hauler trailer.

Sounds like a wonderful gift and a classy car. Studebaker built terrific cars pre-war........became more economy oriented as time passed and lost some of the luster of earlier years. I own postwar Studebakers so feel qualified to opine.

Ray

24. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

exactly what i was looking for ray, thanks so much

25. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

the trailer im using is a little narrower and made for razor suv's so i just wanted to make sure before i go that far and not have it fit.

26. Don't forget tread is at the tire center.

27. I think I'd be more worried the running boards will clear the trailer's fenders/wheels. A 38 Stude would be really wild...this coming from a dude who used to own a 39 shark-nose Graham 4 door.
    Love the stude headlights!

28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

If your not getting it until July you have ample time to get a real car hauling trailer

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

U-Haul has two versions of a tandem axle car trailer. The larger of the two is quite suitable for the Studebaker. I used that version to haul my '38 Buick more than 2000 miles when I bought it. The price for a day or two rental is relatively cheap. But be aware that U-Haul questions you about the towing vehicle and the loaded vehicle and has a computer program that says 'go/no go".

Ray

30. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

the fenders are very low and should not obstruct the running boards, even at center tread the trailer should be plenty wide at 73 " . i too love the odd headlights this car has, getting excited to get it here, too bad i have to wait till harvest is over to get time to go.
    thx for all the help guys