Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Twertsy

Twertsy

Love those dumprat.

2. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454537910.564841.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454537926.445152.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454537983.758185.jpg

Just picked up these. Vintage SK and PLOMB box to hold my PLOMB collection

Okie Pete, ChiselV, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. bart1

bart1

Love the Plomb! Yours is a little cleaner than mine, but I have a lot of pebbles crammed in there!

[​IMG]

4. Twertsy

Twertsy

Need the wrenches to fill this Chief set if anyone has them to spare.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  5. You have the box I wanted though! I'll take it dirty or not over mine!

I've got a few pebbles in there tucked away too. Have a full set of flare nut wrenches, a few combo and open end, all the ratchets and breaker bars. Some pebble PROTO LA in another box.

Hard not to but them whenever I see em at the swap meets. They just keep multiplying now.

6. This is my 027.jpg junk yard tool box ,hacksaw, coal chisel, draw straps , wagon etc.

7. CA. 280

CA. 280

AT&T technicians tool box given to me in 1968 by a gentleman who was retiring with 40yrs service. Had lots of great stories about Hollywood in the 30's and 40's when he was a sound tech. for Western Electric. Some may have even been true. My faithful PnP companion since I retired. 100_1178.JPG 100_1179.JPG 100_1180.JPG 100_1181.JPG

8. brassknuckles

brassknuckles
    from Ontario

OK, I'll play.... Terrible cell phone pic, but I have to start somewhere, right? I just found this thread yesterday, took me basically 24 hrs to get through it all... thoroughly...... every detail, that's just me :( I have a decent collection of tool boxes, all older than Hank 3 (well, almost), some older than his Big Daddy (it's a Southern Thang....) Im'a start here, because I know where the pic is.... I'll have to look for more, or take some, and I'm a l'il busy these days..... it's winter here in Canada, snow to shovel, wood to chop!
    Two old Kennedy boxes, alongside a rare "Beach" machinist box....... Canucks know what I'm talking about.... post up your pics of Beach and Gray tool boxes, Canadian made, Canadian proud..... I'm off to the mine for a couple or three weeks, when I'm back...... more pics of Snap-on, Gray, Beach, Kennedy, Craftsman, and oh yeah, Mastercraft (Yayyy) toolboxes, along with some ol' school wooden boxes :)

Attached Files:

9. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

here's one I've never seen before ACbox1.JPG ACbox2.JPG

10. 00fxd

00fxd
    from BC Canada

The year and model # should be stamped at the bottom left IMG_1023.JPG front of the box [as you are looking at it]

This is a good site for Snap On info http://www.collectingsnapon.com/index.php

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Craftsman? I believe i have the same one. Awful hinges on these things

What'cha got in there, kid?

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-15_4-44-2.png
    Hello,

At one time in 1959-60 we bought a tool box at Sears in downtown Long Beach. It was a grey finish like most of them at the time. Our tools were neatly placed in their respective sections. Over time, it got used a lot, went to the drags with the 58 Impala and the 40 Willys. But, everyday usage took its toll. It was a portable seat, as well as a bench support to cut long pieces of metal and wood. (saw or torch) It was well constructed enough to hold our heavy plywood garage door at an angle so the door would not go up and bang the top. I used it as much as I could, but I got tired of lugging it out to rummage through the drawers and top area for stuff.

My garage cabinets have always had tool drawers that held woodworking tools, pliers and screwdrivers, and general repair stuff. There is even a drawer full of larger almost “never used in a year” tools. (and Christmas gifts)

So, I had no need for the old Craftsman Tool Box and I gave it to my son. He was happy to have it and loaded it up with tools. But, within two weeks, he gave it back to me saying it was just too heavy to continually lug it around the garage, house, and yard doing repairs. He got a lightweight black modern tool box that fit the new age, black motif of his garage, black bikes, cars, exercise equipment, cabinets, wine fridge, etc. So, my old friend came back home with us.

It was stored in the attic for about 5 more years until it sold at our yearly neighborhood garage sale in 2012. That Craftsman Tool Box with some tools in it sold for $50 at our sale. I opened up the garage at 6:15 a.m. to straighten up the items for sale (normal 8:00 a.m. opening) and label some last minute items. Up drives an old pick up truck with a grey haired gentleman.

He jumps out, runs over to the Craftsman Tool Box and says he will buy it. He did not ask the price, he just said he would buy it. I was flabbergasted… So, off the top of my head I said $50.00. He said sold and shook my hand. He did not even open it up to look inside. (although it was in pretty good condition for a 50 year old)

I did tell him that some of my duplicate tools were inside. On the way to his truck, he glanced at some 60’s LP records, but smiled, jumped in his car and drove off, a happy old guy. History lives on...

Jnaki

Currently, I have a lightweight tool bag that only holds what tools I need when I go over to my son’s house to help with installations or repairs. That way, I know before I go and take ONLY the appropriate tools. He has my old Craftsman Socket Set and large breaker handles if needed.

13. willumbilt

willumbilt

14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Theres just something about an old banged up toolbox vs a new shiny one. I bought a $10 brand new metal one a few weeks back because it was so cheap, but just something about my old rusted out craftsman makes me miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I recently found this at thrift store. I laid out a whole $7 bucks for it. I figure it will make a great road box to go behind the seat of my 49 Ford truck
    box.jpg

16. Dyce

Dyce

00808_c0s2TUAXztK_600x450.jpg 00n0n_hFEisOAm9wI_600x450.jpg Does anyone know what this is? Someone listed it on Craigslist as a 1940s homemade toolbox.

17. I sure don't recognize the manufacturer, but it looks like the kind of cabinet that once had an engine analyzer or distributor machine or some other kind test equipment mounted on top of it. Probably a commercially made box of some sort and a pretty sturdily built. Suppose it might have just been made to hold a matching top chest as well.

marsurfboards, loudbang and Dyce like this.
  18. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

That snap-on is nice Bigbore1934. See if there is a model number stamped on back sometimes there is a 2 digit code nearby that can help.

Lots of help on the garage journal sight. I've seen a website before called collecting snap-on. Google can probably hook you up

loudbang likes this.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Some real nice stuff here.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang and jrlphx like this.
  20. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Based on what I've seen at the snap-on museum in Kenosha and my other experiences as a S/O Dealer you are definitely right the 20's and then 50's look much different.

loudbang likes this.
  21. doliak

doliak

Little IH box I restored for my grandpa painted it turquoise to match his 55 crown vic[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. marsurfboards

marsurfboards

23. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Very nice Marsurfboads.

marsurfboards likes this.
  24. Boondoggle

Boondoggle

18871448_10211223968247733_32563803_n.jpg 20170405_102347.jpg
    20598001_10211859269369864_2009203503_o.jpg I've got a 1976 Snap-On box and a small unknown brand one.

25. I have the upper and lower Crappy Tire boxes, and a Snap On box that has only fallen out of one truck.
    Good boxes for the price. I have a couple of old boxes that I will drag out and photograph later today.

26. wsdad

wsdad

I'll try to put up a picture of my, "Rosie the Riviter" box (her name was actually Betty).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  27. Boondoggle

Boondoggle

The top box is a '74, while the bottom one is from '76, but you just gotta have that matching Bicentennial sticker. I'll just have to call it a clone or a replica

20883541_10211974524931181_2048650398_o.jpg

28. Here are some of the older boxes I have inadvertently collected over a lifetime. All of the boxes are strongly constructed, and I have used the green box since the day I bought my first SK wrenches in the late 50s.
    I am actually happy for this thread, because it has given me an idea regarding the storage of delicate, but seldom used tools such as my spare torches, regulators, and large taps and dies.

Attached Files:

29. Mark Montgomery

Mark Montgomery

2017-08-24 21.09.34.jpg 2017-08-24 21.11.29.jpg 2017-08-24 21.09.03.jpg 2017-08-24 21.07.08 (2).jpg This is my setup , and love it , but gotto down-size and move next summer , I know i amd keeping the tools and toolboxes even if they end up in my bedroom .