Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical remove adhesive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bedwards, May 31, 2017.

1. bedwards

bedwards

I used 3m spray adhesive (think it was general adhesive 08088 but don't have the can) to attach insulation on the car floor board and under the hood. The hood insulation has never adhered well and now has all peeled off and left the sticky glue behind. Its like the hot engine weakened the glue and it just peeled off sitting after a drive. I have tried every solvent (wd-40, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, goof off, coleman fuel, gasoline, soapy water, alcohol) in my shop to try to clean it off with little to no joy. It is similar to the glue left over after peeling a label off something only thicker. You can kinda roll it up but you cant get it all. I would like to get this clean so I can buy more insulation and try something different. Is there anything that will get this stuff off and preserve the paint, or am I going to have to find the 3m adhesive remover?

thanks in advance

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Spray brake clean. Spray it on a rag and wipe it over the residue.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. bedwards

bedwards

Ok, will give it a try tomorrow. I have some but was afraid to use it.

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

And if the Brakekleen doesn't do it go on 3M's website and see if they can provide an answer.
    KK

PhredH likes this.

5. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I think you will find that any solvent will only often it and turn it into slime which then must be removed with dry rags, many rags.

6. I have had good luck with an adhesive eraser wheel. Works great on old decals, stickers, pin stripes etc. It takes time and may be a last resort being the area you need to do is quite large.

pigfluxer likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Test the brakeen on your underhood paint somewhere you can't see if you care about that.. It likes some paint....

8. indyjps

indyjps

Acetone has guven me the best results removing adhesives, test it though, may eat your paint too.

RMONTY likes this.
  9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Turpentine works well in some instances and won't harm the paint , sounds like you have tried everything else

10. evintho

evintho

This will definitely remove it! Any paint supply store should have it. They may even carry it at Autozone or NAPA.

[​IMG]

pigfluxer, seadog and das858 like this.
  11. bedwards

bedwards

Thanks guys, I guess I will hunt the remover tomorrow. I want to drive the car Sat and I really am embarrassed with the mess.

12. atch

atch

Please report on your success/failure. evintho is pretty sure about it. I'm hoping you can confirm his faith in it.

13. bedwards

bedwards

Success...... but what a PITA! The 3m GP Adhesive Cleaner did the trick. The stuff was 22 bucks but I have plenty left for other projects. It tool a good bit of clean old rags and lots of elbo grease and about 1 1/2 hours to do the underside of the hood.
    So when I buy more insulation, what do I use that will hold it in place?

thanks for your input

14. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

3M Super 77 spray glue

15. I've had good luck by spraying the adhesive on both surfaces and letting it set up. You'll be able to touch it with your hands or other dry surfaces but when any 2 adhesive coated surfaces touch, they grab like Jack The Bear and aren't coming apart again. I learned this back in my "poor folks" days when all I could afford was DIY laminate counter tops. The deal was to brush or roll on the contact cement, wait a few minutes for everything to dry and then stick 'em together. The neat trick was to spread big sheets of paper on the prepared counter top, position the laminate and then starting in a corner (or the middle) slide the paper out a little at a time and stick the 2 adhesive surfaces progressively as you go. The hard part is getting the first dozen square inches EXACTLY RIGHT before you roll out the rest because if you touch together more than one place, chances are you will have wrinkles when you roll them together. (I hope I explained all that so it makes sense.)

16. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

Don't use the 3M 77 it is a semi-permanent adhesive at best and will soften with heat. Get some 3M Hi-strength 90, this stuff is permanent!

Animal likes this.
  17. bedwards

bedwards

Well, that's what happened. It would get hot and peel. Then I'd stick it back on and couldn't take it off again. In fact, when I took this off it destroyed the hood insulation.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take the hood off so you can do it flat and not upside down. I decided to leave my hood insulation off.

19. bedwards

bedwards

I could leave it off, would it bother the paint down the road?

20. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

You need 3M 08090. It will hold anything. Lots of guys use it for headliners!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.