Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Where Does Your Jalopy Take You?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 31, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Where Does Your Jalopy Take You?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Burny, edcodesign, mgtstumpy and 7 others like this.
  2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Twice to Bonn. from the Bay Area. Three or Four trips to Fathersday. Some bubbles in the paint from Bonn. Knowing that I would not change a thing. Don't let anybody tell you that you can get all the salt out. Washing it just lets the salt get in farther.

See you in Carson City in a couple of weeks. No I don't drive it that far anymore.

Gary

DSCN2587.jpg

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cars are made to drive and that's exactly what they should be used for. What fun is having a spotless car locked away in your garage?

MUNDSTER, Jive-Bomber and Danekejt like this.
  4. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 356 is a great car - I am amazed at the value of the early Porsche cars and they are way out of my reach.

I drive my '32 everywhere. I've been caught in the rain, covered in bugs, dust and mud, sunburned, etc - it's always a good time.

I haven't been "off-road", but I have had it in the dirt for the Hot Rod Bustle down here in San Antonio. I'm sure the previous owner cringes when he sees this, but the car cleaned up fine and there wasn't any damage at all (other than cactus thorns on one of my tubes). The nick and chips on my car are all from normal road driving wear and tear.

It is really fun to slide the car abound corners on a dirt track and I recommend coming out to the Bustle in the fall.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I've been known to put a beatin' on my cars now and again. My daily is a '95 Caprice wagon with BFG All Terrains on it. My T bucket threw its fair share of dirt roosters. My Shoebox Ford has been off road a few times...My '65 Caddy is the only one I never really abused. It's also the one i owned the least amount of time.

flamingokid likes this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

All for GO!
    When my 41 pickup was still: stock suspension, flathead powered, we took it fishing on the Eastern side of Nevada, Ruby Marsh.
    We were following my in-law on the freshly graveled road, sun was shining, unlike two days later when it snowed 4 inches (another story). This was 1981 and the truck was a freshly bought pile of rust and dented fenders. but it did have G-78 tires on white spoke trucker rims.
    Anyway traveling along at speed when the front driver tire 'grabbed' a thick area of gravel and started to bury itself into the soft thick gravel. The whole front dropped and wanted to pull the truck towards the ditch. We clinched our asses as the bed started to lift, I felt the tumble just seconds away, when we hit a thinner gravel spot and the truck stabilized, and we could breath again,,,,
    Hot Rods are fun, and meant to be driven, it was dented when I got it and I have added many a dent,,, oh well the next guy can fix them.......

mctim64 likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

For my jalopies, every journey begins with a quarter mile drive over this....

road.jpg

and some of those trips also include thousands of miles of nicer roads....and all kinds of weather...

Yeah, old cars want to be driven.

8. Bluedot

Bluedot

I can't quite step up to flying down a gravel road or a dirt track, but at 71, I have learned a parallel lesson. Previous rides, I was one of those spit-and-polish-omigosh-there's-a-cloud-better-not-go parking lot car show guys. Wax, polish, park away from door dingers, car cover in the garage, yada yada yada. Worry, worry, stress. No more. Current ride ('30 A Coupe) is a 50-50 car. 50mph and 50' away, it looks OK, but don't look too close. Built it only as a driver, I drive it a lot, without worrying about it. And I'm having more fun with this one than any previous. I only regret that it took me so long to figure it out.

Jet96, ROCKER77, Mtn Goat and 3 others like this.
  9. never let the lack of pavement stop me..... DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0013.JPG DSCF0041.JPG

edcodesign, mgtstumpy, slv63 and 7 others like this.
  10. sololobo

sololobo

I love the 33 coupe, done just right. See avatar for my 33 sedan first car at 12 yrs old. Way older at 14 in the picture, small town allowed driving at early age, what a treat.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Cool video. That guy says alot of poignant stuff.

Reminds me of when hiboy32 and I drove from KS/NE down to the Roundup in '07.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    dwollam, Jet96, edcodesign and 4 others like this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Drove mine every where and it was my daily for a year. Body was white gel-coat and while I contemplated painting it, I knew that if I did, I'd become a "porch puppy". If you're scared to get out of the driveway, start collecting stamps!

[​IMG]

Jet96, edcodesign, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  13. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

Jet96, edcodesign, cully33 and 6 others like this.
  14. flamingokid

flamingokid

It's the same thing that I look for.If they made adult sized go karts legal to drive,I'd own several.Slap an A Body on it,or maybe a 356,or a streamliner.I don't even like A/C,except that some women have to have it.If my car needs it,I'll put it in,if it doesn't,take it out.

flatheadpete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. To paraphrase an old line, neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow shall keep me from driving my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Mine has wipers and a working heater, I go out no matter how cold it gets. I'm not big on the rain, but its okay if I get caught in it. Just primer right now, which irks the multiple of douche nozzles who ask "when are you going to paint it?". I should tell them I'm torn between 2 colors, "go fuck yourself" and "go blow a dead walrus".

Crappy paint has a lot of bonus that goes with it. I can sit on the fenders, lay tools on it, never worry where I park.

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

18. My cars are all about driving. Why own them if you don't drive them. Including my 1964 356 cabriolet ! Took it on the Faultline 500, vintage sports car rally last year. We drove the shit out of our old heaps, including many miles on dirt roads. That is a great video by the way, love the guys attitude and his choice of vehicles.

six5monster likes this.
  19. Oh yeah...you have to drive 'em. If not, they're just so much metal sculpture IMHO. bville41onsaltbig.jpg 33atspeed.jpg

dwollam, Jet96, edcodesign and 5 others like this.
  20. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I can't imagine not driving any special cars that I owned, especially if I had a hand in building them! Gary

22. My "jalopy' occasionally takes me out to the garage to change the diapers under the leaks.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea..... most get driven. But it's also a matter of how much.

24. First things first, Hi,I'm Danny and I'm a hambolic,just ask Cob but I'm also a closet Porsche 356 Speedster dreamer,My big arse don't fit but that doesn't stop a guy from dreamer.

Back to reality,my old beater sedan was built to drive and rock chips on the paint is the last thing I worry about it.

It's been everywhere I want to go but I haven't done a lot of off roading in it. :D HRP

Jet96 and Montana1 like this.
  25. Hyfire

Hyfire

My 1953 Cabriolet will stay an old race car as long as I own it. I have no doubt the next owner would just ruin it by over restoring it. There's a lot of freedom in the fact it's got a 1953 factory warranty engine, so the miles will continue to be added. Kind of odd to say, but I consider the engine and transmission disposable so I've had no fear in using them in an energetic fashion. 356s really are glorified go carts...

[​IMG]

Burny, edcodesign, mgtstumpy and 9 others like this.
  26. the little four banger made it 532 miles round trip from the SF Bay area to Santa Maria this past weekend.
    [​IMG]

27. longhorizon

longhorizon

No shortage of Porsches in the paradise where I'm blessed to live and work. The 'nicest' I've seen was a '62 cabrio randomly parked in a beach parking lot last year. Dull black with rusted rockers. The frayed, (once) white top down, showing a very original interior with beach sand everywhere. Somewhat to my wife's chagrin I stayed and waited for the owner. She told me it had been her dad's car. He was going to restore it but... never quite got around to it. Glad to say, she had no intention of 'getting around to it' either! That car was just perfect...

Hyfire likes this.
  28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm all about racking up the miles, and I knew this would bring out the "...I drive my..." bravado. I admire and respect that, I really do, but I'm ever the pragmatist. I'd restore that 356 and get that boat load of $$$$$$ at the end. Why? Because I'd have more $$$$ for hot rods! Hell for the value of those little fuckers lately I might even be able to add a genuine Classic Packard to the fleet. Pragmatist...

Hyfire likes this.
  29. LBCD

LBCD

Speaking of go-carts...this 62 mini was my daily and even loaded a 5 piece drum kit into with removing the passanger seat. After I restored it, it was too nice and had a bunch of offers so I got rid of it...wish I still had it, left hand drive and a rag top for Socal summers...

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy, jnaki and Hyfire like this.
  30. Hyfire

Hyfire

I'm all for getting boat loads of money, but spending 80-100k+ on a restoration isn't in my humble budget. I wouldn't do it even if I could.

A '53 Porsche is already out of my class, so I'm enjoying a car's ownership that I never could have afforded. (Thanks Frank!)

I doubt there are many guys driving '53 cabs that drive a daily Honda Civic. Those rich guys can suck it. I'm enjoying this little fucker until I'm forced to sell.

At the end of my life I want to know what owning and experiencing all these different types of cars feels like. While extra cash is good, it's not my priority at the moment. One day maybe, but just not today.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app