Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mor-drop

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joemama, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Joemama

Joemama

Unfortunately I need to have my Mor-drop axle straightened. Maybe more of if , I'm not sure yet. Who else can handle this?

Thanks!

junk yard kid likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what are you working on? what is the reason to consider modifying the axle? post pics

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most heavy truck shops can handle this. This is dainty compared to what they are used to working on.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Joemama

Joemama

Resized_20170422_092521.jpeg

5. Joemama

Joemama

Here is what I'm working on.
    20160811_143433.jpeg 20160811_143433.jpeg

Okie Pete likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I take it that it is bent. Hard to tell from the picture.

My reason for recommending a heavy truck shop is that bending an i-beam axle is how a semi-truck is aligned.

If they can straighten this:
    [​IMG]
    They can straighten this:
    [​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. RMONTY

RMONTY

How did it get bent? Just curious...

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think that is a hard fix outside of you or who ever does the work will have to pull it off and strip it down to bare axle. I doubt if it can be pulled back while on the rig.
    There should be several shops in the Tacoma area that can press it back in shape though.
    Here is one possibility http://gittspring.com/
    Another one might be right way spring in Tacoma https://www.yellowpages.com/tacoma-wa/mip/right-way-spring-co-inc-6469099
    Most of the rod shops aren't going to have a press that they can fit the axle in to press it back straight.
    What's going to have to be done is that it will have to be laid in a press and straightened back out and then set up and checked to make sure the king pin holes are square with each other and have the right setup for correct camber. That can be set with the axle on the car though.

Gimpyshotrods posted while I was posting but I agree with him in that the shops that handle the big trucks will know what you need done with your axle.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. Is the mor-drop a cast axel or a forged axel??????????

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forged. It is an OEM axle that was dropped by Mor-Drop.

ratamahata likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We always bent them on the truck. (18 wheeler big rigs) I was 'famous' for getting correct camber on both sides with one pull. Small vehicles are easier, if the bracketry is in-house.
    But I did them all the time. Simple geometry...
    If the axle is bent 'back', it can also be corrected on-car. They have special brackets they use with a 20 ton bottle jack.
    P.S.: Chevrolet axles bent easier than Fords. 'like butter', the old man used to say.

Asphalt Angel and belair like this.
  12. chubbie

chubbie

I've straightened some I took them to farm equipment repair shop, every town around here has 1 or 2 they just push them back. nothing to it. it was so easy that now we use a harber freight press. just did 4 ford I beams, and when I get a chance we'll drop the bunch. A Mor Drop should be a Henry, a 20 ton harber freight press should do the trick. and no it won't break and throw shrapnel around the shop

Henry Ford had to prove to the public that his axle was safe so he built a jig and placed a I beam in it and twisted it like licorice to everyones delight at the worlds fair

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's obvious that some of these guys don't read the complete post or study the photo. If it drives or if you have a trailer I'd just take it to a shop and ask how they think it should be done. As Atwater Mike said some of the shops are setup to do it on the rig and that may not be a big deal if they are.
    Worse case is you have to take it all apart, haul the axle down and have them do it and then you have to put it all back together.

14. I think a truck alignment shop as mentioned could do it. WhiteFront in Yakima could. You also could probably send it to someone who dose dropped axles like Kohler Kustoms, Anson Etc.

15. Joemama

Joemama

Hit a guy in a tuna can. He forgot how traffic signals work! He failed to yield on a left turn, from the turn lane he just turned across on coming traffic. I'm lucking I didn't get seriously hurt. When the other driver turned I was about where the cross walks lines are painted and tried to stop!

16. Joemama

Joemama

17. Joemama

Joemama

Thanks!

18. OK

19. metalman

metalman

Damn Jeremy, lucky all you did was bend an axle. Too bad your'e not here anymore, I'd fix it for ya.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's an easy fix, for a competent shop.

21. chiro

chiro

Okie Joe at Joe's speed shop. He will do a perfect job, but you will have to ship to him. One of the great things about Joe is if you ship him your spindles with the axle he will set the camber perfect to your spindles. More than likely the camber will need to be reset as well if the axle bent back that much. You are lucky you weren't hurt. Good luck. An original ford axle and original Mor-Drop? Send it to Joe.

-Andy

ghornbostel and porknbeaner like this.
  22. wesdon

wesdon
    from Illinois

Okie Joe set mine up spindles included. Very good to deal with and great work. Wes

23. Joemama

Joemama

Thanks all. I just got back into town and I'm sending the axle and spindles to Joe's. Sure makes me feel better, I really wanted to get it fixed instead of replacing it. I want to keep this hotrod as is much as possibly. The bent frame is my next issue....

Asphalt Angel likes this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A wise choice. Joe did the axle on my Model A.

When it was time for me to build my front end, my neighbor Marty Costello was too ill to work, and was winding down his business. He suggested Joe.

The business that he was winding down was: Mor Drop.
    [​IMG]

How bad is the frame, and where is is bent?

LOU WELLS, UNSHINED 2, brut4s and 2 others like this.
  25. belair

belair

Great hot hod picture, Gimpy.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sadly lost to history now. Marty passed in 2012, with no successor. He was trying to sell the operation, but could not find a buyer.

If I was not in the process of winding-down my business, too, I might have made a go.

Hindsight and regret sometimes sucks.

27. Joemama

Joemama

Gimpy
    Thanks for the awesome pic! The frame is out of square .750 as I trammed it out. Both rails are swayed over to the passenger side and there is a significant bow in the frame under the passenger door. I'll have to take a pic from the front of the car. The area where the hairpin mount is located though the frame actually bent inboard (frame and all) at mount and bowed the frame. It is fixable but I will likely save it for another car and replace it. So I can get her back on the road and maybe salvage some summer driving!

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is not a bad bend. It should be fixable.

Joemama likes this.
  29. Joemama

Joemama

Gimp
    I agree it isn't to bad, time is my most needed thing right now. I have a 32 roadster coming back to my shop for assembly, we already replaced the floor and painted the frame and body. Another guy was supposed to assembly for the owner but, that didn't happen! So it will be back this week end to be finished for Goodguys Puyallup. And I have a Don Lowe Kustom 41 Ford in work for paint at the same time. So yeah I want the roadster to drive this summer. If I do a frame swap I can be rolling in a weekend. I'm going to do a full color change this winter.