Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know what this is on the dash of my '31 sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAtudorSedan, May 30, 2017.

1. PAtudorSedan

PAtudorSedan

Hey guys, forgive my ignorance if this is something common or easily searched (or if I posted this in the wrong section ) but I'm having trouble figuring out what this is. It's a small tube mounted to the dash behind the wheel, slightly left of center, open on the end facing the outside of the car with a threaded cap towards the center of the car. I've looked at quite a few pictures of dashes from different year cars and can't seem to find one. I've tried the search function here but can't seem to find the correct wording to get results.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a close-up picture you can post?

3. PAtudorSedan

PAtudorSedan

Sorry, this is the only one I have and it's zoomed in to see it. The car is at a friends, if I can get over there for a better picture I will.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Pic is so far away it's hard to tell but it looks like a coin dispenser to me, like you'd use for a toll or something. Like you'd put a roll of nickels in there and they'd pop out on the one end, like the clicker ones car hops used to have. That's just a guess though.

5. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

A place for matches or registration?

Custom indeed.

6. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Lifesavers, eveyone knows that was the choice of the road going youth back then...then came smokes and all hell broke loose.
    And smelled bad.

What?

7. PAtudorSedan

PAtudorSedan

Coin holder is a possibility, I took the cap off and it looks like some time in the last 60 years some wasps that shared the barn with it decided to build a house inside, I'll inspect that better when I can. Seems too small for registration/papers but I thought that too, sorta like stash tubes on Harleys but one end is open. The open end has a screw on cap as well but it's reminiscent of a mason jar cap, just the rim not the flat center piece.

8. PAtudorSedan

PAtudorSedan

Well I guess now that you have me thinking about them if it's not either of those two things I have to track down some vintage lifesaver/lucky strike dispensers...I wonder if I could mount a Trojan dispenser behind the front seat...

9. PAtudorSedan

PAtudorSedan

Also the car has been in a barn since some time in the 50s so whatever it is, it's been there a while. According to the sticker in the door jamb it was last serviced at a shell station in April of '51.

10. f100jog

f100jog
    from canton, tx