Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Indy 500

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 30, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Indy 500

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Great story, Ryan.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Iz still be jealous. While I was born in Indy and most of my family was from there, and we listened to the race no matter where we where in the world, I've only been to the race once - opposite pit exit and in full view of the jumbo-tron and scoring pylon. WOW. I only wish I had your inside views. Gary

dana barlow likes this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was at the museum once and enjoyed it very much most from what was stated above and the roadsters which I love. I know I will never attend the race but Ryan's comment about 1st lap experience is so true even at your local race track and if side by side are are used on every yellow flag it gets even better.

dana barlow likes this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One of the Valvoline guys was new... He is their main marketing guy and just moved to the Company. He's a frenchman that isn't a car guy at all, but just a super nice guy that was easy to talk to. He was there for work and would have probably much rather have been at home with his wife and kids. I mean, the history of Indy meant nothing to him relative to me. The speed? Nothing. I honestly think he was just tripping out over all of the memorial weekend hubbub more than anything else.

And then, the first lap happened... There he was - a mere mortal of a non car guy - sitting there shitting his pants in excitement. He wasn't thinking about work AT ALL for that entire minute or so until they all came back around.

Nothing compares to the first lap at INDY. Nothing. I have always said that... but to experience it again just drove it straight home.

63fdsnr, Deadbird, ct1932ford and 5 others like this.
  6. NoSurf

NoSurf

Thank you for sharing. Great pics- as always.

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

Ryan great story and I believe you have a few stories to tell during the great era you attended. The Indy 500 is one of those races that every car guy should experience and Ryan is right to be in your seat when it starts. I used to go regularly in the late 70s and 80s (before the split) and I also got to take part in some of the 100th anniversary activities in 2011, but the first lap of every race was always special. It gave me goosebumps every time. I also was a huge fan of the track announcer Tom Carnegie (since deceased). His deep voice and expressions made the experience even more special. It goes without saying that the museum is great. If you want to kiss the bricks they have a bus tour you can take and get out and kiss the bricks if you like but I believe you have to do it on one of the off weekends.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I mentioned in the story that I happened to be standing on the apron when they prepped the AJ Foyt cars. I took some video... It sucks, but the sounds don't. Turn it up:

Rad, right?

9. belair

belair

Glad you got back on the horse.

10. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went Friday with some friends who had parking in the infield, the access is incredible, nothing like being that close to the track when a group of cars fly pass you at 200mph

Sent from my HTC One using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. skinwrecker

skinwrecker

On instagram you did a live feed with Unser and a mechanic for Ed Jones I think? How do I watch that again?

12. Jim Hassad

Jim Hassad

It is still vivid in my memory on race day in the 50's when my dad would host a pancake breakfast for the San Diego Roadster club. Everyone would be leaning forward in their chairs to hear the latest lead change and then solemn silence when a major crash would happen. I was blessed to have my parents take me to the '59 race, what an experience for a 10 year old.

deucemac likes this.
  13. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm an instagram idiot. I thought I was just taking video at the time and didn't know I was doing a "live feed". I don't think you can get those back. That was Al Unser Jr and Jeff (I think was his name?) from Dreyer and Reinbold Racing. Unser was pals with my dad, but I had never met Jeff before - one of those dudes that you can instantly tell is way smarter than you are.

lothiandon1940 and 62hotcat like this.
  15. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Do they do the exhibition lap(s) every year? That must be something else to see and hear.

16. skinwrecker

skinwrecker

Jeff Britton. And yes he is widely known as one of the smartest guys out there.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

to most people who live in Indy, the race is a pain in the ass

pat59 likes this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks for the story Ryan. I've been in love with the hole Indy thing from the time I know about racing,it was in the late 1940's, I first was glued to the radio for the race an every time from then on tell it started on TV for actully seeing. Point being,always wanted to go there,and finely did in a odd way; I raced my own designed an home built 2 racers on the Indy 500 track, two years in a row in the mid 1980's,in a race that was$10,000 to win. I got 10th the first year an 7th the next,nearly 90 others racing as well.
    I was "Team Strange",we had two racers called "Strange One" an "Too Strange" an a ton of fun. Yes it was pedal bikes,but fully aero streamlined custom built { hotrod bike's} at over 50 MPH+ across the bricks. Here a shot of some speed testing at local track.
    93c7re2.jpg

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Amazing. It's on the list now for sure

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will have to agree about the museum; it is not to be missed. Plus it has the advantage of having so much ephemera (trophies, plaques, jewelry, etc.) that is the only car museum my girlfriend enjoyed going to with me.

The race? When I was a kid, we spent weeks waiting for it and listened to every minute on the radio. This year, I didn't realize it was on until it was half over.

21. das858

das858

Thanks for the great story Ryan, I have a similar feeling about the U.S. Nationals in Indy. Every year when we would be at the Nationals we would swing by the 500 track and take in the size and history of the place. One year we even managed to drive into the 500 track briefly before security came running !

22. Man, thanks for sharing that. I've never really considered the possibility of going to Indy for the race. I don't know why, I just never have. I have a good buddy that I've been friends with for almost 40 years. He's not a car guy but he's a race fan, if that makes sense. Hell, he probably knows a lot more about Indy than I do, actually. The older I get, the more I realize there is really no time for fucking around. You only get so many laps. So, I just made a decision. Me and my buddy are going to the Brickyard for the big one. Done.

23. Love the video of the Foyt cars. If the visceral sound of a race car (in this case, numerous ones) up close doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, better check your pulse.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Probably the only televised race that I look forward to. It just screams AMERICA.

El Caballo likes this.
  25. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Good read. Thank you. It's the only Indy car race I watch.

26. LBCD

LBCD

Great story...thanks for the info and pic's!
    On my families bucket list, my wife and kid are looking forward to it too. I have been watching the 500 since the early 80's and don't recall ever missing a race on tv. We planned on going last year but it didn't happen...need to go in the next few years.

27. Last edited: May 30, 2017
  28. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

the US Nats in Indy is a better time IMO

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I can only imagine... I bet it's a nightmare for locals.

Having done both a number of times, I would disagree. Apples and oranges for sure, but nothing competes with Indy in my opinion...

dana barlow and deucemac like this.
  30. 2935ford

2935ford

Been to Indy twice but both times not for the race.
    First time when my family move from Canada to Los Angeles in 1961.
    Did the museum.
    Secocond time moving feom L.A. back to Canada in the late 80's.
    Did the museum and the bus ride around the track.
    Such a great place to visit.
    On the bucket list boys if you have not been!