Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Shoebox Transmission noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Notsofurias, May 29, 2017.

1. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Hey everyone been a while since I have posted anything but I am in need of advice. I recently purchased a 50' Shoebox 2 door with the original flathead and 3 speed transmission with overdrive. It runs and drives great but recently has developed a squeal under acceleration just as the rpm's are at the point where I shift. If I let off the gas it immediately goes away. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is when it is the loudest. I originally thought it could be a fan belt slipping but I'm pretty sure it's in the clutch or transmission. The overdrive is not functioning and not sure if that could be causing any problems. I installed 3" lowering blocks when I got it other than that it's all original. If anyone has had a similar experience or any idea what might be causing the noise I could use the help ! Thanks- [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did it squeal before you added the lowering blocks? Could be some sort of drivetrain alignment problem. Of course, you have checked the lubricant level in the transmission haven't you? If it needs some, use spec GL4, The currently available gear oil is mostly spec GL5, that can be detrimental to older transmission components.

BTW, your car looks great!

3. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Thanks for the reply, the squeal just started. I put the lowering blocks in the first week I had it but guess after driving it a while could have started to put a strain on something. I will double check and top off the fluid level.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. ck the driveshaft front yoke bottoming in the trans after lowering it.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

check for the driveshaft rubbing the floorboard near the rear axle.

Ray

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just noticed the headlights in the first picture; they sure look interesting How's about a detail picture of them. Pretty subtle.

7. I had u joint with rusty needle bearings that would squeal under acceleration.

8. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Thanks everyone for the input, sounds like I should be checking out everything drive line related first. Here is a headlight/tail shot.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Well work has been super busy and I have not even had a chance to touch my car. I do have another question regarding the rear side windows. The rear side vents and frame have been removed and its been replaced with a solid piece of glass like a coupe would be. Is this something that is commonly done with tudor sedans ? Both side windows have a crack running down them I'm guessing due to lack of support. I would like to replace them but not sure if it is a custom cut piece of glass or just a coupe window. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated !

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Coupe windows are quite a bit shorter than 2 dr sedan models. I have never seen an original shoebox two door sedan with a one piece quarter window.....so, at most it may be, or once was, available as a conversion kit.

My first car, many decades ago, was a '50 2 door. As I recall, the larger portion of the quarter window rolled down, but the vent wing shaped piece was fixed in place. My car was not the top line model though, so maybe the Custom Deluxe version did open.

Either way, though, I think it would take some work to properly install a single pane quarter glass with proper support and weather proofing.

Ray

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you're right about the windows cracking because of lack of support. The factory usually had good reasons for what they did. Perhaps if you had the windows made of plastic (Lexan? Plexiglas?) they would have some "give" so they wouldn't crack.

Do you have a straight on side view of your car? I've always thought the shoebox two door sedans looked kinda awkward because of the faux quarter window. It'd be interesting to see if the one-piece window improves that aspect.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Longhornruss

Longhornruss

When the rear vents are removed, most just adhere solid glass in its place. It might be that they did not dampen it in some way to keep it from cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

When you lowered your car did the driveshaft go further into the transmission? You could be bottoming out

14. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Thanks for all the input everyone, I will try and get a decent side shot of the rear window and post it up. Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow and be able to get underneath it to check things out. I didn't check to see if the drive line moved forward when I installed the lowering blocks. Should I have installed shims to correct the pinion angle as well ? I never did on my 4 door but it also had a completely different trans/rear end setup. Thanks-