Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help Identify 30's Ford Grille Shell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zac B, May 28, 2017.

1. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Greetings,
    I recently stumbled across this 30's Ford Grille shell at a local flea market booth for $50 & thought I'd ask for some help in identifying the year and model this particular shell likely came off of. I plan on saving it for a custom built 'rod I hope to make over the next couple years. Thanks for any insight! IMG_3597.JPG IMG_3598.JPG IMG_3599.JPG

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. CME1

CME1

It look's like a 1928-1929 Model A Ford.

39cdan likes this.
  3. It is a '28 or '29. If the exact year is important post the question on fordbarn.com. The raised area around the lower crank hole cover will determine the exact year. Sorry to hear you are considering building a rat rod.

Charlie Stephens

harpo1313 likes this.
  4. Rat Rod? You have been a member long enough to realize if rodent rods are your thing your on the wrong site! HRP

ABONES and ROBRAM like this.

5. flatford39

flatford39

28 29 Model A Ford...we don't do rat rods here.

39cdan likes this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

X4 on the Rat Rod bull shit!!!!!! Rat rod is not spoken here!!

39cdan likes this.
  7. manyolcars

manyolcars

You are on the wrong forum

8. ROBRAM

ROBRAM

No offense, but if you have to ask what year one of the most common shells around is on a site like this, you're probably on the wrong site anyway. If it was something rare and seldom seen I could understand.

verde742 likes this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If you don't know what THAT it is, you're not allowed to use it on a RR. In fact, you have to give it away here now. New HAMB rule. :cool:

slv63, verde742 and Texas Webb like this.
  10. flatford39

flatford39

Can anyone id the car that the shell is sitting on the runningboard??? I think GM...maybe that's why he doesn't know his Ford products...still no excuse for the RR reference.

11. 37 chevy

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  12. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

My apologies for offending anyone. I'm a younger car guy (32) and love cars, well hell I love anything with a motor. I grew up in the 80's hanging onto my grandpas leg in a small town 4 man body shop in NW Iowa & watched hundreds of new and old cars come through the shop. The car in the background of the grill picture is a barn find 1937 Chevrolet Sedan I restored in my garage over the last year back to as original as I could find down to original radio and horn cover.
    I love an original old car, but i also love custom old school hot rods so if that means I'm around the wrong crew I apologize & won't try and offend anybody in the future.

Attached Files:

slv63, Ron Funkhouser, ROBRAM and 2 others like this.
  13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your only offense was to the RR, you might be confusing those and a REAL hot rod. It's no crime in itself for a Chevy guy to not recognize an "A" bone shell. Welcome to the HAMB.

slv63 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

That rodent thing would be like a third generation body man using a claw hammer and plumbers putty to fix a dent. Please don't lower yourself or skills to third grade hack jobs :eek:.
    By the way, nice job on the Chevy.

Ron Funkhouser and Zac B like this.
  15. flatford39

flatford39

Yeah, nice looking Chevy...welcome aboard.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Lack of 6'' whitewalls on the '37 shows restraint ...

17. ROBRAM

ROBRAM

I myself want to apologize. I forget that what may seem like common knowledge to me, may not be for someone else. The important thing is that you're interested in old cars, and that's what keeps the hobby going. I noticed you made a reference to old school hot rods. Just know that an old school hot rod and a RR, are not one in the same.

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My apology also, just dont use the rat rod term. Sit back a cruz the threads you will learn a ton.

19. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Thanks for the feedback. The message board has been a great resource for me so far and I'm sure will be even more help in the future.

slv63, pat59, ROBRAM and 2 others like this.
  20. patterg2003

patterg2003

Its amazing how someone younger makes a miss step and perhaps used what may be a misapplied term for a car assembled from a collection of parts so some are quick to pile on & shun. The OP Zac B rebuilt a 37 back close to original condition which gives him credentials to be welcome here IMHO. Many on here started out gathering bits and pieces to assemble some truly amazing cars. This may be an up & coming thread of interest on a car collected in pieces to become HAMB worthy. As a hobby that is shrinking perhaps being supportive is better way than to rush to judgement & push younger people away. I see he adjusted his original post so all is good. It is good to see some apologize for their comments and that is commendable. Lets watch his progress & see where it goes.

Zac B, slv63, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  21. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Lol! Looks like it's a good thing you showed a pic of the shiny Chevy! It saved your bacon. Unfortunately you gotta have thick skin on this forum. You passed the test- good job!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Zac B, slv63, 302GMC and 1 other person like this.
  22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

And come July 20, we'll show you the secret handshake ...

slv63 likes this.
  23. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

No offense taken!...over the years of hanging around my old man and the old timers he's had work for him I've had no choice but to grow some thick skin. Here's a few pics of the old shop and some of my Grandpa's old dirt track cars he built in our shop in Sioux City, IA. Thanks again for all the help!

BBS.jpg Brouillette Stock Car 3.jpg Brouillette Stock Car 2.jpg Brouillette Stock Car 1.jpg

39cdan, ROBRAM and kidcampbell71 like this.