Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects To Sell Or To Part? That is the question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, May 20, 2017.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Sorry Paul. That deletion would be my fault. I guess I was a little dense & didn't realize it was a joke so I hit the report button. Oops. Now that you explained it, it's pretty hilarious. Sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. You paid by your own admission way too much. Now reflect on what you would have willingly paid had you known then what you know now. That amount is the price you need to ask for it. Just bite the bullet and sell at a loss. Take your beating and learn from the experience.

GreaserJosh13 and firstinsteele like this.
  3. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I'm *sort of* certain I saw one of these Buicks re-framed onto a 1996 Chevrolet Caprice frame with LT1/4L60E in Hot Rod Magazine a few years back.

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I saw one of those buicks sitting in a parking lot along the main drag, hood up, guy under it working on something...just this morning....

(I've seen the car cruising around town for a while, red primer, neat ride)

GreaserJosh13 and finn like this.
  5. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Here in the Mid-Atlantic region that car would be considered a nice builder. It also wouldn't sell for much more than $3000, if that. I can't see you getting more than that anywhere else, either. It's definitely salvageable, and because the remainder of the car is really in such nice shape and the fact that it's a pretty desirable body style I'd keep it whole rather than part it. You can probably make more money parting it, but not enough to justify the time of pulling and listing parts and all the headaches that come with it.

If you like the car enough, put the time into fixing it and hold on to it. As some other guys have mentioned, one route may be a full chassis/floor pan swap with a late model car, updated driveline, and even air suspension. Some folks on here may scoff at that idea but I think it's better than the car getting parted and scrapped.

6. alchemy

alchemy

I'd never do it (because I'm not a glutton for punishment), but I think that car is perfect for a Caprice or Art Morrison chassis. No other way to save that car that isn't just throwing money in a hole.

And, no way it's worth anything close to $6,500 like that right now.

7. BJR

BJR

Get it running and send it down the road. Unless you like to work for 50 cents an hour I wouldn't build it or part it out.

GreaserJosh13, ClarkH and Old wolf like this.
  8. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Please See This Thread. A continuation of this one.
    Thanks
    Josh

1950 Buick Engine Troubles/Won't Start

Hey Guys. As you all know I had another thread about this car as I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Some of the suggestions were to get it running first & then decide. I took that advice & tried to do a compression test today with no avail. I'm literally getting a zero reading on every cylinder, which to me seems like I'm not doing something right. There should be some kind of reading on each cylinder good or bad right? I removed all the spark plugs, as well as the coil wire & then planed the compression test in cylinder 1 hole & cranked the motor. I did this to all cylinders & my gauge shows nothing. Could this indicate a broken timing chain? I've attached some links to some videos I took to show you what I've got. Any suggestions would be great. Seems like this car is getting worse & worse by the day. I'm starting to think I bought some really expensive yard art. Ughhhhh!!!!
    Thanks Guys
    Josh

Fan Moving

Rocker Arm

Compression Test

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?posts/12072213/

9. Nocero

Nocero

Are the rockers moving as you crank it?
    If so not a broken chain.
    Squirt a little bit of motor oil in each cylinder before checking and see if it makes a difference.
    Possible stuck piston rings or valves?
    Are you sure the gauge is good?

10. Nocero

Nocero

Sorry didn't watch the video before first comment defiantly not a broken timing chain.
    Looks like the valve in the center isn't moving as much as the others. But should have some compression on the other cylinders.
    Maybe stuck valve or collapsed lifter.
    May need to prime oil pump to get the lifters pumped?
    I'd check the gauge on running motor and add a couple squirts of oil to the cylinders and try again if the gauge checks out.
    I assume you have fuel and spark?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  11. You're assuming a lot there, bud.

12. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

When I first attempted to start it I had fuel, but didn't seem to be getting spark. I decided I better make sure I have compression before I even go any further. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a mechanic, so I'm learning as I go. Anyways I'll keep on trying until I figure it out.

13. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

14. Did you have the throttle wide open when checking compression.? Sometimes a bad worn timing chain will reduce compression but not all the way to zero.

15. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

I think it's your gauge. Is there an o-ring on the base of your gauge? If so. Put a little oil on it. Tighten the valve stem in the gauge. I've even had to remove the valve and put a few drops of oil on it.

Second, is the motor in time? The chain is not broken ( if that motor has a chain) but do the gears line up properly? Two teeth off makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreaserJosh13 and clunker like this.
  16. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

ok, it looks like it has odd length pushrods , one adjuster is all the way out, this means its been assembled by someone who knows very little, cant see any stuck valves but do you have the correct valve clearance on any ? also when "trying to start" I cannot see any sign of compression in the fan (yes the fan, if you know engines youll get it) . Start with valve clearances......

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It might be a really silly rookie issue. If the ports are completely blocked (tape and rags from that lovely paint job) there's nothing to "suck n squeeze". Got any suction at the carb? Have seen that twice in 44 years. Yeah, it's gonna mean a manifold pull to check assuming the gauge is good and there's no suction/intake.

18. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

cranked the engine today & the carburetor has air sucking in & I do feel air blowing out the spark plug holes, so I don't know why that gauge isn't working. I'll check the timing & the push rid that isn't moving properly.

19. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

If after all of this I can't get spark where should I start looking?

20. Don't get frustrated, this is your opportunity to learn some mechanical skills. If you don't have a remote starter, bug a cheapy from the auto parts store. Do you have a volt meter? Do some youtubing and learn how to use it. Start tracing it backwards from the plugs until you find the short. There's a lot of things under the distributer cap that might be the issue. There's a coil that might be bad. Are you getting juice from the generator? The battery? Did someone convert to 12volt?

21. Clunker has it........ If you want to play in the arena, you have to sharpen your skills a lil. Not knocking you at all, but to go through the motions, and figure things out, will get things done. Plus+ your going to learn things.......This will apply to every vehicle you own......You don't have to title yourself as a mechanic- you just gotta know some more sh$t........

22. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I understand. I'm trying. So I corrected the push rod. It just needed to be adjusted. I think the hydraulic lifter was stuck. After I adjusted it it works fine. Also I checked the timing and spark. I definitely have spark as you can see from the video. I also got a video of the car making a few explosions, but the camera didn't pick up the explosion sound. Maybe a carburetor issue???

Spark Video

23. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Here's a video of the explosion or combustion. You can hear & see it if you listen & watch closely.

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Yeah, an Art Morrison chassis is definitely the way to go. Instead of having $6500 into it you'll have $15,000.00.

25. Cool..... Start with the basics= Compression stoke on TDC, rotor pointing to # 1 on firing order, firing order CORRECT, and you should be very close. A lot comes into play, but if those things jive, you should make some noise. Keep pluggin' away.

26. rivguy

rivguy

Back to the main subject. If the frame can't be feasibly repaired then I would look for a replacement. These frames were shared over many model years with most larger GM full size cars of the time. Try to locate a complete stock replacement frame. Of course use the internet, but pick up a current copy of Hemmings and look through the ads. Since you live in Ca. there should be some parts car donors around the So Cal region. Contact the national Buick club. I bet that you can find someone that has parted out a car like this, and would be glad to get rid of the frame and what's left of the body shell. I would guess that the lowliest four door sedan frame would fit. With a good frame the other lower body repairs would be primarily cosmetic after the floors and rockers. Good money after bad? Absolutely, but you knew you were going to have to spend some additional money on the car anyway.

27. Have you had the engine apart? Or did it come that way? I see you started it in 2013. That is a 248 ci engine, standard tranny. Does not have hydraulic lifters. What is the valve lash [ tappets] set at?
    It does have timing chain. I have NEVER seen one loose enough to cause starting problems. We need the info I have asked for. Please.

Ben

28. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

No. I've never taken this engine apart. The car starting in the video is a different car. Long gone. Should have kept that one. Not sure about the valve lash???
    Thanks for all the help fellas.

Pleasantleafarm likes this.
  29. Can anyone tell if this is the stock motor for this car? If so the best first step would be to get a proper shop manual. It will have all the info you need to tear the engine down, firing order, tuning instructions. Descriptions of all the systems. Setting valve lash. How to establish tdc. How to rebuild each component. It will take a lot of the mystery out of it for you, and you can figure it out. You will need the right specs for this motor to do things like set the valve lash etc.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

My friend Will, bought a nice one last year for $2500, virtually rust free.
    That's a long way from $7500. Good luck