Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 Plymouth Coupe to keep or not to keep

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by laidbackluis, May 25, 2017.

?
  1. Sell

30 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. CONVERT IT

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Surfcityrocker, JOYFLEA and Tim like this.
  2. laidbackluis

laidbackluis
    from Sachse Tx

Very nice !

40 DeSoto Hemi Coupe likes this.
  3. RodStRace

RodStRace

I've got a 40 Opera coupe (the seat bottoms flip up) and a Business coupe like yours.
    I gotta say that between the tight seating and doing a chop, your kids are going to outgrow that rear area QUICK if they already aren't too big.
    Hope the car gets you enough return that you can get a full length roof to cut.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. belair

belair

Why screw up a great little car? Will the kids fit in it next year? Or three years from now? Get the right car for the right job.

Hnstray, kiwijeff and laidbackluis like this.
  5. gene-koning

gene-koning

If your kids are small enough to require car seats, the business coupe won't have enough room between the back of the front seat and the rear window. If your kids are big enough to be out of car seats, there will only be enough head room for a couple of years.

The issue is the head room area. A business coupe has a pretty low roof line before the back window, but there is room for rear seats, if the people sitting in them are not very tall. If you chop it, it will be worse. The floor behind the rear seat is ahead of the rear axle, and there is already a pretty big kick up in the floor, I'm not sure you can lower the floor enough to create additional head room. Gene

Hnstray and laidbackluis like this.
  6. laidbackluis

laidbackluis
    from Sachse Tx

My son is 8 and my daughter is 2. Car seat will take up space for sure.

Ebay listing is looking good. Not to far off from reserve.

7. laidbackluis

laidbackluis
    from Sachse Tx

UPDATE: Sold the 41' . It's going to Minnesota.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  8. So does this mean your armed with a hand full of cash, looking for the perfect family cruiser?
    If that's happening, please keep us updated.
    Btw, loved your wife's view on wagons. Priceless.

9. indyjps

indyjps

The car you have is very nice, with nice paint.

Consider just removing the package tray, modding the hinges, and adding a rear seat and a/c for family cruising.
    The interior fabric looks like it could be matched.
    If that doesnt do it for ya, just sell it as is.

10. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

I picked up a back seat from a late model BMW for my 49 Plymouth coupe project and it fits like it was made for the car. Not a lot of leg room but I planned on laving the back of the seat riser open to give my son a bit more legroom. His solution was to put mom in the back seat or leave her home.

11. Nice looking car, whatever you decide......................

12. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

a friend and I went about 10 hours away and bought a two 1962 falcon wagon for him and his young family of 4 . she said the same thing then , and now it is "her car" not selling it period . funny how things change .

13. qwiked

qwiked

Please leave the 41 alone...way too good for what you plan

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

14. exterminator

exterminator

He sold it.

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Man, I can see fitting a back seat in there for younger kids, or I can see a chop job, but sure not both. Lovely car though!

16. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Wow, you just called a 41 Plymouth dumpy, then suggested he get a 48 Lincoln? yeah they had a lot of chrome but they are ugly as sin.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

To each his own. I like my 47 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe. Front end is a little busy, but from the firewall back it looks as good as any late 40's car.

18. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Your totally right, to each his own. I just can't get over the front end on those things. I drove a customers 47 convertible and I have to say it drove like I dream, but the grille is just not for me.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. DOCWHIT

DOCWHIT

Hey laidback you could consider just trading me your 41 2 seater for my 41 Plymouth 6 seater??
    It can't hurt to ask one Texan to another right??? Well crap if I had read in more detail I woulda seen the green 41 wasn't yours, sorry I was hoping for a possible trade...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

What you bought is gorgeous as it sits and better than the other one hands down! I wouldn't alter it, too good. However if you go with the back seat please do it the same material as the front to maintain originality. Too good to mess with.

21. exterminator

exterminator

22. laidbackluis

laidbackluis
    from Sachse Tx

Yeah I ended selling the car on ebay to a fellow Hamber from Minnesota.

Bought this last week (from a fellow Hamber). It's a 1937 Dodge. Was his personal car but time got the best of the build. I'll pick up where he left off. I'm ahead of the ball on this one and maintained my $6k budget. All the floors have been done. Has a Mustang II and 4 link tacked in place. All the metal needs finishing. Package came with a 440 and 518 trans and new Tanks Inc gas tank. He was going to install a pair of 39' dodge headlights but I've decided to go with the originals. Car came with front and rear coilovers but I'm going bags.

Watch for a build thread soon.

The day I picked it up:
    [​IMG]

As it sits today.
    [​IMG]

23. taildragger1957

taildragger1957

Keep us posted. I would have kept the 41, as Im partial to them (being as i own one). But that 37 is pretty sweet. Good luck.