Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Water based acrylic paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chieftain, Apr 29, 2017.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

For a cheap paint job like a rustoleum job without the hazards of the chemicals to spray. Has anyone tried something like this ? Wondering about how long it will last with proper prep. Not to many colors to chose from this brand but can mix to get something close? or another brand with more options. This is in stock at the local farm store .

http://www.majicpaints.com/products/farm/acrylic-diamondhard-industrial-enamel/

henryj1951 likes this.
  2. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Nothing like this will last. Also waterbased products will actually absorb into your skin very easy. Just save your money and spray with a 2k polyurethane. They can be had from $100-$300 kit and last 10 plus years easy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

^ Correct... but hay (hay is for horses) when those farm paints go on sale fer 29bucks, i say (go for it) N O T...
    Have seen it on some of dem dere stock cars, painted with those 9buck Harbor freights,
    yuck... they looked just like it should , and that would be a cheapasscrappaintjob.
    Paint Guru is telling you the truth and i'm trying to say YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU PAY for ....

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    loudbang and Paint Guru like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A trailer frame you want to sell and look good for a while..

loudbang likes this.

5. I've had some success using Valspar water based Acrylic. Been experimenting with brush painting and thought I'd try it just to see if it works.
    I brushed it on my COE running boards after blasting and epoxy priming. Looks great after 2 years....
    A good primer is key I think.

DSCN0290.JPG

6. 55chieftain

55chieftain

This doesn't make sense to me, I think in California that's all they are allowed to use anymore is water based paint and eventually probably more than that. This is just a cheaper version just like oil based tractor paint.

7. 55chevr

55chevr

At JFK airport we didn't have a down draft booth. We used water based urethane with good results. Looked good.

8. That Majic is pretty good stuff, use their hardner with it. I watched a welder pal paint a Baja Bug with it. Spent a lot of time outside and still looked good after 3 years. I plan on using it on my GMC daily. The 2k is BETTER paint. I sprayed my old T with it at about 50 bucks a gallon for PPG Industrial.

Phillips likes this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

2K the way to go. That stuff is bullet proof.

10. patterg2003

patterg2003

The waterborne paint systems are marketed as environmentally friendly but as so as hardener is added the health risk is the same as regular 2K urethane and acrylics. We used a water borne urethane with hardener to paint our airplane that was "Eco friendly". We read the MSDS safety sheets and followed the precautions. The manufacturers promote the products as eco friendly which gives a false impression that they are better & safer for people. The hardeners for water borne product is the same hardener as the conventional paint products & are every bit as dangerous. Manufactures play up Eco aspect & understate the risks associated with their water borne products. It sometimes takes some searching to find the manufacturers safety data sheets for these products. We set up a spray booth that exhausted outside to spray the water based urethane as safely as possible.

Majic is a product that uses water as its diluant but with the Majic hardener then it becomes like every other 2K system. The Majic paint systems hardener is an isocyanate the same as the conventional paints so the same safety precautions need apply to protect the user. The only eco friendly component is the water when hardener is added to make the paint set up harden & be more durable. http://www.mtlaney.com/wp-content/u...alyst-Hardener-Yenkin-Majestic-Paint-Corp.pdf

I was doing research into 2k urethane that used non iso hardeners but there is no compelling evidence that these products are there yet for gloss & durability. From the information out there is that it takes the isocyanate based hardeners to get the deep shine & durability for the urethane & acrylics. Manufacturers are working on it & it would be nice if the found a safer hardener with the same results. One day.

We used the aircraft systems water borne product so we would not blow up the shop with the wood heat. The water borne urethane turned out nice & seems very tough. Painting with the waterborne system that we used was different & required a lot of self education & a couple conversations with the tech line. I like spraying the normal 2K better than the aircraft waterborne system that we used. My airplane partner recovered the tail feathers on a Supercub recently & used the conventional 2K urethane on the tail feathers. He could not get over how much easier it was to use than the water based product.

Sorry. This was a long way of saying as soon as you use hardener with the Majic water system paints that it is a deadly as any other system with iso hardeners.

11. But the price is amazing

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Stick with a good brand of 2K paint in the long run you will be money ahead and much happier with the end results