Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 35 coupe sitting crooked

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, May 27, 2017.

1. solo_909

solo_909

Hey guys,

So I recently installed some reverse eye posies with a 2" drop, 4" dropped axle, and posies 2 3/8" longer shackles. I tried to install the springs by tightening the ubolts down at the same time but I'm sitting like a little over an inch lower on the driverside. Any wisdom how to straighten her out?

I did noticed that the shackles don't seem to be resting at the same angle. Could this be part of the problem, and how do I correct that?

Thanks,
    George

IMG_9938.JPG IMG_9939.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Is the spring centered?

Outback, zzeezrodz and solo_909 like this.
  3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you SURE that the spring pack bolt in the center is in the center hole in the crossmember?

-Abone.

solo_909 likes this.
  4. solo_909

solo_909

Yes the spring bolt is centered.

5. oj

oj

Unsplit bones and centered spring? something bound up not letting the shackles work. Like the spring doesn't have same castor as the axle. Can you 'jounce' it and see if one side moves more free than the other? How easily did the pins go thru the shackle to join spring to the wishbone?

solo_909 likes this.
  6. oj

oj

If you look at the pic you can see the top of the spring. It seems to be canted twards us an dthe axle, at same height, you can't see the top because of caster canting it away from us. Then again, it might be just camera angle.

solo_909 likes this.
  7. solo_909

solo_909

Unsplit wishbones and the pins went through fairly easy. It was the bushings that gave me some problems.

8. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Swap ya spring over and see if other side drops

clem likes this.
  9. solo_909

solo_909

Interesting, so when I went and took a look at the posies it seems like the passenger side leafs start to push towards the back of the car vs the driverside which is more straight up and down.

Kind of hard to see in the photo but it's different.

IMG_9941.JPG IMG_9944.JPG

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  10. Did you perhaps over-tighten the nuts on the backside of the shackles creating a bind not allowing any swing at all in the spring?

oj likes this.
  11. oj

oj

Seems like you should have the same thread reveal on the nuts - I can't believe I just reached for my little pen light to see if there is anything stuck up in there! I'm going to go commit myself.

Saxman, Jet96, siderbox and 2 others like this.
  12. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

If it is maybe relocate the pin. You wouldn't have to move much. Use the shackle angle as a "go by"

13. solo_909

solo_909

The ubolts shouldn't be tightened all the way down?

14. ..............They need to be tight, but not so snug that the spring is unable to move at all. I doubt that they are that tight but it's possible. Is the car driveable at this time? It could settle into "level" when it is moved some.

15. solo_909

solo_909

Hmm well I wrenched them down pretty tight. Give me an example of the max torque that it should be at so I can check?

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Have you driven it yet to let it settle in?

17. solo_909

solo_909

Not really just like around the block going about 10mph.

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

That should be enough!
    Have to ask, was it that far off before?

19. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

You might take the load off the spring and "Beat" the spring square. Square means to me the leafs need to be aligned with one another and perpendicular with the frame.

20. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

check the bones where the shackles are hanging [ In the pics they are a bit off from each other ]

Also with that shackle angle you should run a panhard bar

21. ..........I don't know what the torque setting would be and I doubt that unless you used an impact when re-assembling them that they are "over tightened". It's possible but doubtful. Can you loosen the nuts a little and use a pry bar to try and shift the shackles a bit. There must be a bind of some sort somewhere unless like some have suggested the spring is actually twisted or otherwise screwed up. I would jack it up, spray some silicone spray on the shackles, loosen the nuts (don't remove them completely) and see if I could effect any movement with a pry bar.

solo_909 likes this.
  22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I wouldn't have gone with the longer shackles as above you will need a panhard bar, odds are. With the long shackles spring is not under enough tension to center [and keep ] itself..

gimpyshotrods and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. ..............That is a good point. The reversed eye spring and dropped axle should have gotten the car down to a nice lowered height without going to the longer shackles as well.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  24. solo_909

solo_909

The longer shackles weren't my choice it's just what posie sent me. Could that be the reason why my car is crooked?

25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Are your shocks bottomed out?

solo_909 likes this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

Have you checked to see if the axle is square in the car? Something might be pushing it sideways, which is shown by the spring not square in the crossmember.

lothiandon1940 and solo_909 like this.
  27. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Seriously Mate, Check your bones [the front end forgings].
    If you look at the photos ,the distance from the top of these forgings to the bottom shock nut is different .
    The arch under these forgings to the axle also appears to be different.

All these new components are highly likely to be correct, but are now aggravating a previous problem.

Measure your axle to the ground, and the top shackle bolt to the ground [these measurements should be consistant]

Atwater Mike, Hnstray and solo_909 like this.
  28. solo_909

solo_909

I think they might be. There's no movement when I step on the bumper brackets and try to bounce it. I'm going to remove the shocks tomorrow and see what happens.

29. solo_909

solo_909

What do you mean when you say front end forgings? If you're looks at the bottom shock mount I think it may just be the camera angle that makes it appear different.

30. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Ford Bones have forgings that are inserted into A-Frame [seen welded here]
    upload_2017-5-28_16-45-26.png

It could be the camera angle, it is very difficult to diagnose on a forum.
    It is something I spotted and suggest you measure [to either rule out or find the problem]

The measurements dont lie [speculating can fool everybody]

jp52 and solo_909 like this.