Register now to get rid of these ads!

Independent Drag Strips in Northern California?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Travis, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Are there any? Besides Sacramento Raceway and Sears Point, I don't seem to be able to find any other places to go drag racing. I know there are some in Southern California but I'm looking for something up here. I'd like to find a hole-in-the-wall place similar to the track in/near Temple, Texas where the Kontientals had the DOTD? (Temple City? Something like that...) Or MoKan. Also maybe within a 2-hour drive of Sacramento and/or the SF Bay Area? Am I being delusional to think there might be one out here because they've all been razed for Suburbia?

Travis

2. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

It is more than 2 hours away from you, but Somoa Drag Strip is still going strong. Just outside Eureka, it has been in continuouse operation for more than 50 years. "Humboldt Cat" on the board is one of the announcers out there.

3. Yeah that is a bit far for me. Glad to see there is at least something up here close to what I am looking for....

Isn't Samoa where the Samoa Cookhouse is? Family style? Been there twice and I LOVE that place.

Travis

4. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

yes, the cookhouse is there. It is lumber camp style food and is pretty good. The strip is just a few miles down the penninsula from the Cookhouse.

5. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

MMMM Lumber camp style cooking.

Travis, what are you up to??

6. Hardware

Hardware
    from West Coast

There were some people trying to bring back the Vacaville dragstrip a couple years back. My dad used to race there back in the day and now lives right down the road from it. There's still nothing out there except open fields and sheep. It's too bad.

7. OK...

I'm asking for a friend who was talking about having an event similar to the DOTD and the HAMB drags.... just a day of goofing off and racing here in NorCal. Lot of roundy round tracks but not many drag strips. He tried getting a day at Sacramento Raceway but apparently that's a no go. So I was trying to help him out and see if there are any alternatives out here, such as an independent track (Non NHRA or whatever). I even went as far as suggesting they do it the original way... find an old air strip or something with a flag starter and just use timing boxes. Wouldn't it be fun if we all went to Cameron Park where they have the little airport where people fly in and they have hangars attached to their garages? Go there for a day!! I think there is a strip in Penryn that doesn't get used much. Or maybe the police academy? (Wonder what happens when the ultimate shitbox shows up?!) Mather AFB? Anything....?

So anyway.... that's why I am asking. If we can find something for him to check out and give him a place to start it up, sounds like fun for us!!!

Travis

8. Hardware...

Is the track still there? Who owns the land??

Travis

9. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I do not know of another drag strip around here. I like your idea of using either McClellan or Mather air force base. They are both decommissioned and have lots of open tarmac. I have autocrossed at both of them in the recent past (a few years ago).

It would not work to use Cameron Park aiport as they are busy everyday with traffic.

Mike

10. Terry O

Terry O

Lots of tarmac from de-comissioned military bases around here including Concord. Half Moon Bay airport is still in operation set up, I think, pretty much as the original strip back in the 60's. There's a show called "Dream Machines" held every year that brings in lots of $$ to the town, show only - no racing, but if somebody took the time and effort to submit a proposal to show them nostalgic drags would draw more people in & would put even more $ in their pocket..who knows. Be very cool to be running where records were set.

11. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

They still use Mather for freight traffic on a regualr basis, but I think McClellan is closed up completly. I know they use parts of it for SCCA type stuff every once in awhile.

12. OK now we are getting somewhere.

So if I went to McClellan, is there a main office there where I could make an inquiry? I know they don't use it for much there anymore except when the occasional B-29 or B-17 makes a visit, and I see the USCG making the rounds. But I think you're right for the most part... nothing gets used there and it seems they rented out all the buildings.

That place would be perfect because there's obviously tons of room and the place was recently decomissioned so the runways should be nice, still.

I think it's a shame now that we look at this and there is only one (so far) independent track in all of NorCal... the Samoa one...

Nothing else out there, guys?

Travis

13. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

There's one in Redding, I know a few people that are getting a Slant6 only race day started up there. I'm sure it's availible to others. But McClelan would be badass. It would be even cooler if you could also rent a Hanger for the day for Garage space and food vendors?
    -Jesse

14. HEY!!!

That's a thought!! Remember when someone on here a while back posted on drag racing indoors?!!!! (I think it was in Chicago?)

Maybe we CAN just rent a Hangar.... close the doors. Nobody needs to know what we are doing...........:D

Travis

15. Hardware

Hardware
    from West Coast

The land is still wide open but has been used for sheep grazing for many, many years and as far as I know is owned by one of the farmers out there. My guess is that the track itself is probably gone from age and lack of upkeep all these years. It looks like you have a few good leads now though. Good luck.

16. Keep looking and checking around. I've been thinking about this for a while. A year or two ago i saw some petition for getting a drag strip at Laguna Seca. Fremont used to have a strip but it was shut down and the land was bought for housing. Still vacant land with nothing there.

James

17. The Wolf

The Wolf
    from OAKLAND CA

there's a private runway near 101 and highway 37 in sanoma county. i wanted to get ahold of that guy and see what it would take to do something there. it's kind of secluded and on private land.

18. There's some people down here in the central valley that are in the making of bringing a few tracks down in Merecd next to the old Castle Air Force Base. From what I hear there's supposed to be a 1/4 mile strip, a dirt oval track, a paved oval track. It's going to be built between the womans prson, and the air force base right off of Santa Fe Ave. I saw and signed for it last year(I think) when there was a booth at the Turlock swapmeet.
    David

19. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Both Mather and McClellan still are in use for air traffic. Both are open for private airplanes (small aircraft) and the Coast Guard is still located out of McClellan. But, the place are REALLY BIG. You could have a drag strip and a Coast Gaurd plane in action at the same time! :D I remember that Mather stopped allowing autocross a couple of years ago. I am not sure if that was a temporary or permanent restriction. But, I never heard that McClellan stopped autocross events, so they might be the best bet for this. If space or top speed is an issue, I would consider an 1/8 mile drag.

I would call the McClellan Business Park (the official name the base now) and ask.

Mike

20. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Near Dos Palos (central CA.) there is Eagle Field, an old Army Air Force Base that might work. Check out their web site at www.eaglefield.net and www.eaglefield.org. Also here in Fresno is the old Fresno Dragway still intact for someone to land their plane. Tower was still there last time I was out that way. I don't know any contacts and would be a long shot!
    _________________________________________Toymaker

21. purple

purple

22. Well.

Mather and McClellan are out.

I guess we are down to somebody that owns a private track or airport.

Will keep trying. Yankee... can you find that guy by 37 and 101??

Anybody that can check things out in their area would be great!!!. Again, it'd be nice to keep it within a 2-hour drive from the SF Bay Area and Sacramento due to the number of people that would be likely to attend.

Travis

23. purple

purple

I know Kingdon in Lodi is too far gone to use. It's on farm land now.

24. Speaking of Vacaville check this out:
    http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/VacaValleyToday.html

This is a pretty cool site for old sports car racing stuff. I went to this track as a kid but driving up Hwy 80 now I could never locate the original track. Might go back up there now, armed with this info.

25. Ric-

That's cool shit!! Never knew this place existed and maybe it's the one that Hardware was talking about??

After looking at that website I doubt they will ever bring this track back to life. Bummer.

Travis

26. Check with the folks at Crows Landing Naval Air Base... we street raced there one night and noticed that there was some cones left by the road racers.

The thing that will kill you is insurance... check on pricing first.

Also, the Ford A Speed Technology (FAST) group is going to hold a race, this month or last month at some guys ranch. He has an air strip, and they're going to run-em! 1/8th mile only... and the cars must be 4 bangers or MILD flatheads. Maybe check with them to see what they had to go through to get that going. Gerry Brierly, Midnight Oil fame... would be the guy to talk to.

Also... as a heads up to ALL Nor Cal guys... send an e-mail to [email protected] or call 209-383-7671 to support the NEW 1/8th mile track they want to build at the Altimont Raceway just outside of Tracy! They need people to voice their opinion... it may actually happen.

Sam.

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm gonna stay tuned, this would be fun.

I'm thinking a small airstrip is the most realistic. There's one in Gilroy, right off 101. Or what about the one next to Harris Ranch?

I'll lend a hand how ever I can, if you need it.

28. Kirk! i was also thinking of that small air strip off of 101.
    I did some looking into Moffett and saw that they book private parties, or they used to, in hangar 1. i'm sure they have extremely strict rules on what can go down at the events.

James

29. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote